April 2014 Moms
Options

Another CD question

I apologize for starting another thread on this....but for some reason the search function is not working on my iPad. I am prepping my GMD prefolds today (boiling 3 at a time for 15 minutes, get new water and start over - which is what I think @MamaFantastic‌ suggested)....and then I am planning on tossing them in the dryer. I know I can't put dryer sheets in there with the cloth diapers, but we do use dryer sheets for our adult clothing & linens. Can I still use the dryer for the diapers? Also, for those of you who do not use dryer sheets at all (for this reason or another), what do you use instead to combat static cling? Vinegar in the wash cycle? Dryer balls? I have heard mixed reviews on each, so I am looking for opinions or other suggestions.

Re: Another CD question

• Options
    I guess you're not supposed to use your dryer if you've used dryer sheets but I did. It's not like you are going to go buy a new dryer because you've used dryer sheets before.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    that's kind of what I thought too, @spano41‌ - maybe I'll just try them in the dryer and hope for the best? Hopefully it won't ruin them...though that seems rather unlikely
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most people in the FB group I'm in said they use dryer sheets on their other laundry and haven't had a problem with their diapers as long as they don't put a sheet in with that run. We also got wool dryer balls for the diaper laundry, they seem to get the best reviews.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Lots of people use dryer sheets on their other laundry. Especially with prefolds it should be fine.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use little spiky plastic dryer balls. Mostly we line dry, then throw in dryer to beat soft on the balls.
  • Options
    It didn't ruin mine as far as I can tell, they are getting more absorbent every time I wash them at least. If you want you could throw some wet towels in there beforehand to try to get some of the residue out. I've been stressing a lot about these stupid prefolds but I just have to remind myself that they are not some crazy Italian silk or anything. They are just cotton pieces of cloth.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    thanks all! I appreciate the insight. I think I'm over-thinking this, and it's actually good to hear that I am. Into the dryer they go!
  • Options
    And it definitely won't ruin them. Worst case long term you get build up and have to strip.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We se wool dryer balls on all clothing, cd included. I also had some norwex dryer balls but I think they've seen better days. I don't think it would be the end of the world to put them in the dryer.
  • Options
    We never put our CDs in the dryer, we just air dried them in our laundry room. Avoiding the dryer will extend the life of the diapers quite a bit and if your stash is big enough the  drying time isn't an issue. The best is hanging them outside when it's sunny because the sun naturally bleaches and deodorizes them - it's the best way to get out stains, regardless of whether you use the dryer or not. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I haven't put any of my BumGenius Elementals in the dryer - I, too, am air-drying those on a rack in the laundry room until I can get an outside line up and running in the spring/summer. I was just hoping to fluff the prefolds up a bit in the dryer.
  • Options
    The dryer isn't going to hurt prefolds.
  • Options
    Nah, you're fine. We've been cloth diapering for 4 years and use dryer sheets on our regular clothes and never had a problem.
  • Options
    We have been using wool dryer balls for about 6 months and LOVE them. Static only happens when we over dry the clothes, so to combat static we just set the timer for the dryer instead of a regular setting. We love in a very dry climate, so static can be a pain, but no problems when we don't over dry.

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    I haven't put any of my BumGenius Elementals in the dryer - I, too, am air-drying those on a rack in the laundry room until I can get an outside line up and running in the spring/summer. I was just hoping to fluff the prefolds up a bit in the dryer.
    i air dried mine a few times - my issue was that the drying time was SO long (especially inside during winter) that they'd almost get a musty smell before they would be fully dry.  plus, i couldn't afford to let my entire stash just sit on a drying rack for 36-48 hours while the 6 layers of cotton dried.  furthermore, they got crusty.  i HATE crusty laundry.  i opted to toss them in on 75 minutes of high heat, and the PUL has been totally fine for the almost 3 years we used them.  granted, the cotton inside started to get holes, but i think that's par for the course with elementals after a period of heavy, prolonged use.
  • Options
    yes, covers and (emptied) pockets can always be air dried, and i certainly did that (other than maybe once a month in the dryer just to seal up any microscopic holes or cracks that may have developed)...  but the cotton AIOs are a different story.  it's the equivalent of trying to hang dry a folded up bath towel.  it just doesn't work well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"