April 2013 Moms
Options

Cakewrecks: smash cake edition

Do you guys know the website Cakewrecks?  Google it - pretty funny.
I attempted a trial run of a smash cake tonight after learning that our Target doesn't do an actual smash cake, they just do a cupcake.  
Needs work but tastes delicious!!!

It's two layers... mostly I just need a better frosting spatula and to be more careful with the red frosting!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Cakewrecks: smash cake edition

• Options
    That looks great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    An offset spatula would work best for the frosting. HTH!
  • Options
    I think it looks great!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Haha I pee my pants laughing every time I see that cake @jthree‌

@jss1002 It really doesn't look bad! I am an awesome baker but decorating is nt my forte... It's really hard to use that piped on frosting precisely. I tried to make "football cookies" with the laces on them once. I will never live it down!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @jthree that is too funny! This is why I leave this sort of thing to the experts! I find when I try to do it myself it turns out like crap and actually ends up costing more!

Anniversary

• Options
    @JSS1002‌ free smash cake with the purchase of a cake at Lunds/Byerlys. FYI.
  • Options
    @jthree‌ that is amazing !! :))
  • Options
    Kate_C said:
    I know, and I ordered the cake from Byerly's, so we'll get a free smash cake for his actual party that way, but I wanted a baseball themed one for pictures later, and they wanted to charge me A LOT to make it, so I figured I'd do it myself.

@pinottoparenthood - thank you!  I am not a great baker but a good cook... this CAKE was easy, I just used a boxed cake mix, but I didn't wait quite long enough to cut it, and then I didn't have a great tool to frost it - I bought one of those little cans of decorating frosting to do the red laces, so that was actually easy, but I should have tested it on the plate first to get a feel for the pressure required. Better luck next time!

I just attempted to make cakepops over the cake scraps and THAT was an epic fail.  Looks like crumbly turds in my fridge. But damn do they taste good!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    JSS1002 said:

Kate_C said:

I know, and I ordered the cake from Byerly's, so we'll get a free smash cake for his actual party that way, but I wanted a baseball themed one for pictures later, and they wanted to charge me A LOT to make it, so I figured I'd do it myself.

Show off. Just kidding. I can't make a layered cake to save my life, so that is sheer jealousy speaking. Happy baking!
  • Options
    Kate_C said:
    Kate_C said:
    Show off. Just kidding. I can't make a layered cake to save my life, so that is sheer jealousy speaking. Happy baking!
    Well, this was a boxed cake mix and jarred frosting, so not that complex... :-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That looks pretty darn good!

But wait -- Target does a cupcake? Like, you bring one in? Or? Help me understand. LOL
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    woohoo02 said:

But wait -- Target does a cupcake? Like, you bring one in? Or? Help me understand. LOL
    Do you have a supertarget with a bakery? If so, ask them if they do a smash cake for first birthdays. When I asked tonight, they said yes -- for $1.99, it's just a cupcake that is frosted and has a "1" on it.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    JSS1002 said:
    woohoo02 said:

Do you have a supertarget with a bakery? If so, ask them if they do a smash cake for first birthdays. When I asked tonight, they said yes -- for $1.99, it's just a cupcake that is frosted and has a "1" on it.
    Oh boo. My Target sucks. No SuperTarget here. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I brought the wreckage to girls night last night and it all got eaten, even the shitty cakepops, so it wasn't a total fail!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"