Food Allergy

Help- new to food allergies

Hi all. I have a 6 month old which I took to the allergist because of some hives on his back and stomach which didn't seem to go away. The allergist tested him and said he's allergic to oats and to stay away from any fresh food ( he started eating solids; so like avocado, apples, carrots and oatmeal) and only give him canned food. He also told me to stay dairy free for three weeks until his next appointment being that I EBF.
I am new to this allergy thing so would love your advice on the things I should stay away from. I started to do some research and did not realize that many of the things I eat have some sort of dairy. It has me very overwhelmed. Any advice would be helpful. TIA!!

Re: Help- new to food allergies

• Godairyfree.org is a great place to start. They have a list of all of the words on food labels that contain milk and many other resources
  • @DC2London‌ He said that fresh food all have allergens and that eating the food in cans,the heating process kills the allergens so that that's why can food was best for him.
    Thank you for your help. I will definitely check Trader Joe's.
  • Loading the player...
  • My main suggestion is take thing slow.

Onceamonthmom has some good recipes
  • When you say "stay away from fresh food" does that mean fresh anything or just cold, raw things (like fruit?)  

If it's raw that's a problem, you can cook your own fruits and veggies thus avoiding all the weird additives in canned food. If it's fresh that's the issue then I'm totally baffled. (I have various food intolerances, it's a nightmare but you figure it out pretty quickly)

As for dairy, is it dairy allergy or lactose intolerance or is it just so whatever you eat doesn't get into baby through breast milk while he's being tested? and is soy/nut ok? Or are you still figuring it out?
    If soy or nuts are still allowed, you can sub milk in most things for soy or almond milk. They don't taste of much so are easy enough to swap.

You'll quickly get to a point where you can skim-read labels for the offending allergy then you start to just know what's safe and what's not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"