VBAC
Options

Anyone have a successful natural VBAC in a hospital setting?

I am currently with an OB practice. I love my dr. Problem is, there is no guarantee that she will deliver me. There are 5 other OBs are her practice, who I will meet throughout my PG. I already know a few of them from previous treatments. However, last time we met, she told me they are doing a trial run from March-Sept and partnering with their sister practice so the doctors are only on 12 hour shifts. I checked their website, there are 10 doctors there! I'm pretty sure not all of them deliver, as a few practice specialty areas. But still, even with 6 more people, that is 12 possible that could deliver me! My DH was not happy about it. I told him there's nothing I can do except change drs. I am doing research and considering changing to a midwife.

I really want a natural VBAC, and I don't know how these other drs. act//feel about natural VBACs. I am worried it could be a problem.  WWYD? Also, please share success stories of your VBACs in a hospital if you had one!! Thanks ladies.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

Re: Anyone have a successful natural VBAC in a hospital setting?

• Options
    I vbaced in a hospital. It was not natural, as my water broke and I did not go into labor. My ob was extremely supportive. While I knew right away I wanted a vbac, he suggested it before I told him my wishes.
  • Options
    I had a natural hospital VBAC, similar circumstances.  I had not gone into labor at 40 weeks, so they scheduled an induction for me for 41 w 2d, but my Dr was going out of town.  There were 3
    Dr's from another practice that did on call deliveries in my hospital and none of them would perform a VBAC.  So in case I went in to labor before my schedule, the other Dr at my practice who was not on call for the next week either, gave me a prescription paper that instructed the OB department to call her only.  It happened just that way, I went into labor and she delivered for me.  I would find out which ones will do VBAC, which ones won't and see if they will give the call schedule and all that stuff when it gets close.  BTW, my VBAC was awesome, the hospital and Dr were spectacular, very laissez faire  greatest experience ever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited January 2014
    Checking to see who is supportive of VBAC is a good plan. I went MW practices that both had 20+ MW on staff for both my pg. It didn't bother me that much, tho. I also hired a doula both times, which helped make me feel more confident in going med-free.

Neither of my births were attended by the MW I saw for my appts. In DS2's case (my VBAC) I showed up pushing.

ETA: Staying out of the hospital helped, bc I was on my feet most of the time I was in labor. I went med-free for my first son's labor, so I was able to get back into the groove of contractions w my VBAC. Prenatal yoga was a great resource for managing labor.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I did 13 months ago :)
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had a hospital VBAC with a CNM.  I did have an epi, but that was my choice.  My CNM was very encouraging and would have totally supported me going natural.  She would have supported me either way, that's part of why she's so awesome.  She kept me going til I made it past my personal cut-off, 6cm.  That's where I stalled out with my daughter during my induction and ultimate C/S with her, and I was just determined to make it past that point.

I have had two very different experiences with just two kids and when I AM pregnant again I need to figure out how to make it different again.  I'm not interested in a homebirth, so unless I need a scheduled C/S for some reason I think I'm going to have to try to suck it up and not get stabbed in the back.
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    I had an all natural hospital VBAC.  You can totally do it, you just need to make sure the hospital and your entire practice know your wishes.  I met with the head of Labor & Delivery at the hospital and sent a note ahead for my file.  Also, if you can have a doula or midwife present there for you, it will make a huge difference in helping you manage the labor without drugs.
  • Options
    It's hard to "know" is a doc or practice is supportive of VBAC.  Some will tell you they are, but 'sabotage' you in the end.  Here's a good article.

Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Nobody can force you to have a c-section.

We used a midwife practice for DS #2 and they helped everyone at hospital know exactly what we wanted.  They were a big help
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Having 12 Dr's who could possibly be on call when you go in would make me nervous too but I'd try to look up what you can on the hospital itself. Where I'm delivering, there's a group of 6 midwives and a dozen OBs, but the whole hospital is very natural birth friendly and people drive in from over an hour away to have their VBACs there. If you come in while in active labor and seem to be managing alright on your own (not screaming for help, but calmly breathing through) they'll mostly leave you alone until you say you feel the urge to push. Even the OBs will generally leave you alone, especially if you have a doula and hand them a birth plan that your provider signed off on, which makes it "doctor's orders" in a sense. So if the two on-call midwives are tending other mothers when I come in, I'm not too nervous about one of the OBs seeing me - they're used to midwife patients and how things go with that side of the practice. 

So, in your case, I'd find out what I can about the other practice - their c-section rate, VBAC success rate, epidural use rate, etc. I'd also finalize my birth plan and ask *your* provider to sign it - literally, on the bottom of the sheet - and have a copy put in your file. Bring multiple copies with you to the hospital and as people suggest things that your provider already agreed can be skipped in your case, have your DH or doula run interference for you - and point to the signed birth plan. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cecilyandgautam It turns out it is actually 26 doctors, but she told me there should always be one dr from our practice there. It's like all the practices associated with this group are trying this trial. They all deliver at this hospital anyone, but have decided to try out 12 hours shifts instead.  She also mentioned there are midwifes too, that may be there at times.  The actual hospital has one of the lowest C-section rates in the state.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• Options
    Hi. I'm a mom of two. Both delivered by c sec. First one way emergency after 18hrs of labour baby and me started to weaken. Second was planned as I had already had a csection before. I felt bullied and scare mongered into it. I am now pregnant again and I really don't want another csection!!! I don't think the hospital will support me though :( I am about 10 weeks at the moment. Jus lookin for some advice from mommys in my position xxxxx
  • Options
    Juicylucy2086           You probably want to post your own thread about this on the natural birth board, but IMO if you want to do a VBA2C, you will probably need to find a midwife.   

• Options
    Thank u amores0121
  • Options
    I had a c-section the first time around as well and I am currently 22 weeks pregnant (due only two days before you!), planning on doing a natural VBAC at a hospital.

I just met with and hired a doula this morning, and even taking that step was really empowering. She had a lot of recommendations, like keeping active, doing squats and lunges during your pregnancy, prenatal yoga, sitting in the lotus pose to keep your pelvis open whenever possible, drinking raspberry leaf tea, acupuncture, chiropractic, lots of self-education... and #1 most important thing is knowing you have a supportive provider. She also said when you DO go in to labor, try to stay at home for as long as you can stand it, to prevent getting to the hospital and being met with offers of pitocin/epidurals, etc.

After doing some research, I learned that my first selection in hospital (and where I had my son's c-section two years ago) has one of the highest c-section rates in the state.. so I'm switching to a hospital that is 30 minutes further away, but is much more supportive and encouraging when it comes to VBAC-ing. Scary to make a switch this far in the game, but my doula told me she had a mom switch at 37 weeks and it was the best decision she could have made.

You just have to do what feels right. Follow your maternal instincts and you will do great. Hiring a doula is a great way to have someone to help advocate for your best treatments while staying strong on the natural course and avoiding any medical interventions that might also lead to another cesarean. I know I'm absolutely TERRIFIED to go into labor without an epidural, but from everything I've read so far, it seems like that will be the best chance for things to go smoothly. I'm also up with pregnancy insomnia (I swear I barely even thought about delivery last time and now that's all I can think about), so I watched "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix - definitely worth a watch and it will make you feel pretty confident in your ability to give birth and that you can do it on your own.

Best of luck.. I can't wait to hear what you decide and how things go!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @alliebjerk Thank you for your input. I am currently interviewing doulas and also will begin a Hypnobirthing class next month. My hospital has one of the lowest C-section rates in the state, but then again that is where I had my C-section so...but I have an appointment on the 31st with one of the other drs at my practice and I will be asking her opinion on VBAC. If I don't get the response I want, I will likely look to switch to a midwife.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"