Nurseries and Baby Gear

Recommend a double stroller for 3 year old and infant

Hi everyone! Looking for recommendations for a double stroller for a 3 year old and infant. DD is on the small side and still uses her City Mini. I figure we will use it throughout the spring/summer especially (Baby is due in May) with the car seat adapter.  We live in NJ, but would use it for walks to the park, playground, mall,etc. 

As of now, I'm considering the City Mini Double; City Select (only if I get it at a good price with double seat); or Joovy Ultralight. The sales person at BBB tried to steer me away from the Joovy since we will be using it often with the carseat attachment at the beginning.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Recommend a double stroller for 3 year old and infant

• What is your price range?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can get the City Select with a second seat altogether for under $500 right now on Amazon as they're clearing out the older models for the new ones.
    Lisa
    Mom to Kendrick (12.20.12) and wife to Josh (married 9.18.10)
    Now expecting #2!
    BF for 14 months! (while working full time and traveling 50% of the time boy am I tired! haha)
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids are 28 months apart. I purchased a city select and didn't love it. I sold it and got the baby jogger city mini gt double. I love it. It pushes great.
  • We went with the britax b ready when amazon was offering a free second seat or infant seat so both were $350.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Personally I'm not fond of the seating configuration with that one. I don't like the seat being low and in the back, I'm 5'8" so I don't have the shortest stride I could see myself hitting it and also it just doesn't seem like a desirable position for the kiddo, but JKTTC1, how's your experience been actually using it?
    Lisa
    Now expecting #2!
    BF for 14 months! (while working full time and traveling 50% of the time boy am I tired! haha)
  • My kids are 19 months apart & I love my Valco Snap Dual. It's amazing. It's probably my favorite baby item to date. Opens & closes in one step, pushes one handed, super lightweight, and is only 3 inches wider than the City Select. Check it out on You Tube. It's now car seat compatible.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    edited March 2014
    Personally I'm not fond of the seating configuration with that one. I don't like the seat being low and in the back, I'm 5'8" so I don't have the shortest stride I could see myself hitting it and also it just doesn't seem like a desirable position for the kiddo, but JKTTC1, how's your experience been actually using it?
    I have a longer stride and 5'7''.  I have never kicked the B-Ready with second seat.  FWIW, my 2.5 year old loves the lower seat and I loved it even more when DS was a newborn because people couldn't touch him.  

That said, for mostly walks, etc, a side by side will push better than a tandem. I would look into the City Mini GT Double.  Albee has it for $389 right now.  It's a great option.  I would choose the Valco Snap Duo over the GT personally just because it's so lightweight which is nice for the car.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • City mini double. It took me a while to accept this as I was sure I didn't want a side by side. First we tried the city select and I wanted to love it but it's just too big! Too long, too heavy, can't fold with second seat attached. We knew it wouldn't work when we test drove at the store.

Then I bought a joovy ultralight. Took it to Disney with infant in the car seat... Epic fail. Older one did not want to ride on the back... He wanted to be in front which is where the car seat had to go! I sold that one on CL as soon as we got home!

Finally, I bought the CMD. OMG, still the best stroller I've ever had- 3 yrs later. Newborn rides in the seat fully reclined with a snuzzler. 3 year old sits happily beside her. My 6 yr old can even still fit in it... So it will last you a while. Also, I just did a comparison test on this and the B Ready yesterday thinking I might like the B ready more than this but nope... B ready is too frickin heavy! CMD is light and easy... Only one for me!

• I keep seeing people say the side by side double fit through doors and aisles fine but I hit things with my city mini gt single! I just don't see how I wouldn't hit all kinds of stuff and/or not fit with a side by side double!
    Lisa
    Now expecting #2!
  • I keep seeing people say the side by side double fit through doors and aisles fine but I hit things with my city mini gt single! I just don't see how I wouldn't hit all kinds of stuff and/or not fit with a side by side double!

I thought the same thing but really, it's not that bad. You become more aware of the space you are in and honestly... People move out of your way with the SBS! I've taken it into handicap stalls in the restroom, through standard doors- malls are tricky but not impossible. Particularly at the zoo or Disney or wherever, I've learned that she with the biggest stroller wins ;-)

• We've got the infant carrier on the bottom and I personally like it's more streamline and can easily fit thru doorways and isn't too long or wide!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• I never have a problem getting through the mall with my City mini double.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • My BOB double fits through every door I've tried, including the ones in my 1938 house. 
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Ugh! I thought I wouldn't need a double stroller with a 3 year old and a newborn, but now I'm rethinking that. Maybe I should get a CMD and keep my CMS for when the double isn't necessary.

Albee Baby has the 2012 for $329. I don't mind how old it is, but need to make up my mind! I'd just order it but have to pay return shipping if I change my mind. I'm so confused! Ha
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I went to buy buy baby with my almost 2 yr old and my 1 yr old niece to test doubles (20 weeks preggers with number 2 now), with all intentions on getting the britax b ready and to my surprise my 2 yr old would not sit in the back seat for more then 3 minutes. The city select which I had decided I didn't want he happily climbed into the front seat by himself and hung out there just for fun. I also had a problem with the britax when I clicked the car seat into the top it seemed like it would be completely in his face. One annoying thing about the city select is I couldn't figure out a way to fold it with both seats and the guy in the store told me you can't (there might be a way but I'm not sure). I decided this was probably actually a good thing for me because I have back problems and that means I won't be able to try and lift the whole thing at once, but is kind of annoying. I do like that I can add the little skateboard type thing to it for a kid to stand on, and that the huge basket is always available. I haven't entertained the idea of a side by side because I can't fit it between parked cars and it makes me nervous to leave a strollers out in front of a car in a parking lot with a kid in it because I live in TX where there are huge cars and people don't necessarily pay attention! I just suggest putting your kid in all the strollers at the store and see which works for you and which one he will actually sit in!
  • What about getting the City Versa and the buggy board?  You can also attach the Uppa Baby jump seat to the front of the Versa to make a mini city select.

Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Bbcolt... Try amazon. Side note... Just went to a buy buy baby... That's a stroller addicts heaven!!! Why does babies r us even exist? And why isn't there a bbb by me? :(
    Lisa
    Now expecting #2!
  • Bbcolt... Try amazon. Side note... Just went to a buy buy baby... That's a stroller addicts heaven!!! Why does babies r us even exist? And why isn't there a bbb by me? :(
    I know!  It really is!  Last time I went to BBB, I came home with a floor model Versa :)
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • It really helped me compare the versa and the select! So happy I found it!
    Lisa
    Now expecting #2!
  • It really helped me compare the versa and the select! So happy I found it!
    What did you decide on?
    image   image
  • lmsmith1222lmsmith1222 member
    edited March 2014
    I didn't yet haha. I think I'm just going to get the select bc the versa is essentially the same with less options. I considered the versa so I could have double canopies with the infant seat but then discovered it is basically the same as the select the infant seat replaces the seat doesn't go on top, so maybe I need to keep my citi mini gt if I wanna do that. But then I think with a newborn and a 2yo how often would I need just a stroller for the infant seat and not my son too. I'm probably more likely to put him in the stroller and wear the infant if I'm out using a single. So yeah haven't decided yet lol but it was great to actually get to use them cuz I found out there would really be no reason for me to get the versa other than it being lighter.
    Lisa
    Now expecting #2!
  • I didn't yet haha. I think I'm just going to get the select bc the versa is essentially the same with less options. I considered the versa so I could have double canopies with the infant seat but then discovered it is basically the same as the select the infant seat replaces the seat doesn't go on top, so maybe I need to keep my citi mini gt if I wanna do that. But then I think with a newborn and a 2yo how often would I need just a stroller for the infant seat and not my son too. I'm probably more likely to put him in the stroller and wear the infant if I'm out using a single. So yeah haven't decided yet lol but it was great to actually get to use them cuz I found out there would really be no reason for me to get the versa other than it being lighter.
    Yea I love the Versa because I also have a Duallie already so I'm covered in the doubles area. I still needed a single and then liked the option to add the second seat for my oldest if I couldn't trust her to walk, etc.  I probably wouldn't get the Versa as your only double stroller for mostly full time riders.  I hope you join the Fbook group!  It's super addicting though...  ;)
    image   image
    Amazon is my absolute fav place to shop but they want $395 right now and Albee has the 2013 for $329. I'm going to "visit" it at BBB tomorrow, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on that great price!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Haha ya I love amazon. Bbb is fantastic though I've been twice in the last 2 days. And without I wouldn't have known that I definitely don't want a CMD and that I like the select more than the versa as a single!
    Lisa
    Now expecting #2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"