October 2012 Moms

Time Outs

chricastchricast member
edited March 2014 in October 2012 Moms
Have you tried them with your child yet?
image                 image
Lilypie - (52Ft)

Time Outs 53 votes

Tried time outs and they work
5% 3 votes
Tried time outs and they DONT work
9% 5 votes
Haven't tried that yet
81% 43 votes
SS
3% 2 votes

Re: Time Outs

• Emma learned how to climb on the couch and now tries to run on it and climb into the bay window. There is also a railing behind the couch with a 1 story drop so I don't want her to try and climb over the back. She isn't responding to no and redirecting and continues to do it over and over to be defiant. I attempted a time out today in her chair but she obviously wouldn't stay.
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• I should also add the time out advice came from the nanny we interviewed last night when I asked about discipline. She said basically 3 NOs then a time out.
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• Loading the player...
  • CnAnACnAnA member
    Time outs are a joke at my house. I took pedis suggestion and held her facing a plain white wall. Not cuddle hold her, more like hold her still. She promptly got up after her 45 seconds and proceeded to go do exactly what she had been told not to. 4 times in a row. With a side of biting me while trying to get away. So no. Time outs did not work for us.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Yea I thought it was too soon for a time out
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• we have sort of started them. They don't really work but at least he's taken away from the "bad" behavior. They do them at daycare too. 

1-2-3 works about 50% of the time.

• CnAnACnAnA member
    1-2-3 gets a giggle and running away at my house. My kid is an asshole apparently.

Oct Angel Babies
  • My kid just flops on the floor when I tell him no. So, I just ignore him until he is done with his tantrum.
  • CnAnACnAnA member
    I tend to agree @BrooketheCat. But after countless remove and redirects, I was desperate. After that one foray into time outs, they are back on the shelf for a while.

Oct Angel Babies
  • I have tried them and I'm not sure they work yet. She has to stand in a corner. With me keeping her there and explaining why she is there. It lasts maybe 20 seconds at the most and she hugs me after but it doesn't solve anything other than stopping the action at that moment. Our pediatrician said "timeouts" right now are just time outs from our attention but I feel like sometimes that would make the situation worse.
  • Hmmm...I am the weird one who thought our time outs were working, but maybe it is really just removal and redirection.  If he hits or does something dangerous after we tell him "no" twice then he gets put on his bed in his room with the door closed for a minute.  He cries for most of the time and then we just open the door and start playing with him again.  He doesn't do the activity/behavior, but maybe a lot of it is because he is in a different room (ex. nothing to climb on).  We started doing this because our pediatrician recommended it -- one minute for each year. 
  • @legalbeagle1‌ I think it would work better if I had a place to confine her for that 1 minute like the pnp but that is packed away now. I didn't want to associate her crib as a place she goes when she is bad because she is such a good sleeper!
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• We have done them...well more specifically after 3 NO's we walk him away from the situation and make him sit on the floor while we calmly explain that he shouldn't do that because he could hurt himself/kitty doesn't like it/ etc.  He usually just laughs as we talk to him but he hasn't gone right back to doing the same thing.  So it seems to be working.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"