Single Parents

Help with co-sleeping?

So before our split, my LO (9 mo) would sleep between me and a bed rail and my 3 yr old is in his own room.  When I would get up for a shower in the AM, if the little one woke up, my DH would still be in bed on his side and there to put him back to sleep or wake up with him so he would not climb/fall out of bed....now it's just going to be me and the kids, in one room...in a very small studio apt.  We move in two weeks and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do it!  I have purchased a twin over full bunk bed for our one bedroom....unfortunately we can't afford to have a bigger place right now.  The 3 yr old will be on the top bed, and the 9 mo old and me in the full.  But im worried that when I get up to take a shower that the 9 mo old will wake up and fall off the bed etc.  I have considered using our pack n play, but really would still like to co-sleep if possible (he still is nursing 4-8 times a night depending!)  Any suggestions on sleeping arrangments in a very SMALL place!?!?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help with co-sleeping?

• Put the pnp next to the bed, when you get up in the morning transfer the nine month old to the pnp temoporarily.

Thats the best i can come up with
  • For a twin, that's a little tricky. Is there a bed rail you can get with a hinge that you can leave down while you sleep, then pop back up after you get up? I have a bit of a larger bed that I share with DS, and just barricade him in with pillows (started doing that round 7-8 months when I wasn't so concerned about suffocation).

I will be thinking about this and get back to you if I come up with something else.

• Loading the player...
  • The worry I have is that the 9 month old is mobile now.....he can crawl over a pillow barricade.  And I think if I transferred him to the PNP he would wake up.  I think I might have to start to transfer him to the PNP full time and give up co-sleeping ;-(  I will wait if possible as not to make to many new transitions all at once, but maybe this is the perfect time to do it? 
  • My sister uses a matress on the floor for cosleeping if that helps
  • I also use pillows if DD is in a deep sleep. If she's not i put her in her swing while i get ready for work. If she's really awake she goes in her high chair with some cheerios. DD will be one next week.
  • I also check on her constantly.
  • Is there room in your apt to store the mattress on the bed during the day, and pull it onto the floor before you and your LO go to bed for the night? If it's a twin, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to pull off. And you can still stuff pillows all around so if your DD does roll off it's not the same as falling clean off the bed.

I'd hate for you to have to give up bedsharing! It makes those night nursings so much easier. Plus, snuggles!

• We too are in a very small apartment and it took me about a week to figure this out. I put my youngest in his pack and play or his high chair while I shower. If we were co sleeping I would totally do the bed on the floor. I also think transferring him while he's sleeping could work. How much longer would he sleep after you get out of bed?
  • Is the bunk bed you bought made so that you can not put the bottom bed frame on and it would still be stable?  Maybe you could do that and leave the mattress on the floor.  
  • Thanks guys!!  I think I might try pulling the mattress onto the floor at bedtime.  He will sleep for an extra hr or so after I get up in the AM, so don't want to risk waking him  to move him to the PNP.  We move next week, so will see how it all goes!  Another hard part is the 3 year old is going to want to sleep with us too.....going to have to make his bunk bed exciting so he will stay in it!!  Thanks again for the suggestions!!
  • DS would never stay asleep doing a full transfer from bed to PNP or whatever. Just doesn't work for some people - especially the closer it gets to wake-up time. I hope the mattress on the floor thing works for y'all.

Good luck, mama!

• Aaw.  Cherish them while they are little.  Let him sleep with you if he wants.  Is it really such a big deal to have to move him to his own bed later?  They are only your babies for a short time.  You can have a big boy bed party later.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"