Preemies
Options

Failed carseat

Hi ladies! I'm new to this board...my lo was born early sat morning at 36+5...she was doing perfectly fine until we failed the carseat test...she is fine while laying flat but desats when in carseat due to slight head lag...they are doing a pneumogram as we speak...dr thinks it's just from slight head lag from being premature...we have to buy a flat carseat...anyone with any insight would be much appreciated! Thank u all!

Re: Failed carseat

• Options
    Laura8388 said:
    @Cassidy & Peter‌ I had that in when we did the carseat test and they made me take it out. Apparently they don't allow ANYTHING behind baby in the car seat; but I am in canada, not sure if there's different laws?

When we got to the car seat test point the nurses told us we couldn't have any type of after market inserts either. We bought the Chicco Keyfit 30 Magic, which seemed to have a slightly beefier infant support system.
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Ditto PPs -- no third party inserts. Preemies or not, the use of anything that doesn't come with your carseat can void it's warranty (aside from being a safety issue).

OP - Are you referring to those bed like car seats? I'm not familiar with them myself, but I know they're often used in the (rare) cases when a baby is discharged at or below 4lbs, weights below which most, if not all, car seats are rated.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I purchased the Graco Snugride 30 that comes with the roll-shaped head supports as part of the original equipment. There are two different styles, depending on the fabric pattern you choose; I went with Lotus, which is now discontinued, unfortunately.
    Not sure if that seat is sold in Canada?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    What car seat do you have? I agree with PPs that you're not supposed to put anything in the car seat that didn't come with it. We have the chicco keyfit 30 as well and DD was 4lbs 10oz when we brought her home. Like PPs said it has a good infant insert. Congrats on your daughter and best of luck to you

imageimage
  • Options
    Really? No external parts is news to me. Our car seat eval person said we could roll up receiving blankets to put around LO for a snugger fit, but not to use the insert.

• Options
    Yes, rolling up blankets was recommended by the hospital car seat person, the NICU, and I have seen it in books including preemie books.  I don't think that would help a LO pass because it just sort of keeps things more secure during giggling (or worse) but it is a good thing to do.  Other inserts that go under or something are not recommended.  My LO passed in our Snugride 30, but she was a good breather from the get-go.  I hope this gets resolved for you soon.
  • Options
    LO failed the first carseat test but passed again a couple of days later. I remember feeling like being on a roller coaster ride and wanting to get out of the NICU with her as soon as we got the all clear because I didn't want another setback.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

I just wanted to ditto that nothing extra should be added to the car seat. There should not be anything between the seat and the baby that didn't come with the carseat. The rolled up blankets are ok because they are not put between the baby and the seat, just on the sides to help support.

We had a Chicco Keyfit and my daughter was just over 5 lbs at discharge. Good luck!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    We failed the car seat test 3 times. The first time, they suspected it was caused by the insert that came with the seat, but their policy only allowed for testing once in a 24 hr period. The redid it the next day, without the insert and she still failed. She started having bradys and desats like crazy for about a week after so we had to wait awhile. Same thing happened the 3rd fail and they started talking about a car bed. We did end up testing a 4th time and passing, but prior to that we spoke with the social worker at the hospital (couldnt find a car bed anywhere) and were told that you get those through the hospital. It was like a rental type thing, but in our case would have been fully covered by insurance, just had to be returned after a certain amount of time. Im not sure if its the same at your hospital, but you should be able to ask a social worker and find out. Hopefully, your lo just needs a few more days and will pass in your seat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @maitaibeth - a friend of us gave us one of the little caddy stroller frames that the seat clicks into, which is great for trips to the doc's office & such.  We also purchased a BOB and bought the adapter for that as well.  We live in the mountains so I wanted something with rugged tires for the unpaved walking trails around here.
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We have the Chicco keyfit 30 and the stroller as well. I love it! And I did feel it had one of the better infant inserts (which we didn't know we were going to need for so long when we got it!) and has a little more head support than others. Although, if I had to rig up my LO or buy a specific seat just to get them to pass, I think I would rather they were in the NICU for a while longer. I mean, I love having LO at home, but his safety is #1. As it was I was nervous enough to bring LO home! 
  • Options
    My LO failed his car seat test twice. Once in his keyfit 30 and they retested him in a concorro car seat which is rated for 3+ lbs and had more of a recline but he failed in that as well. At that point they had me take him home in a car bed as retesting just felt like an odds game. They lent it to us but it sucked because it was so cumbersome and nearly impossible to buckle into the car. Unfortunately it isn't a click in and out type so you have to strap it in with the seatbelt each time you take him in and out if you want to use it as a carrier. We ended up leaving it permenantly in the car and carrying him in and out in our arms.

We had a follow car seat test a month after he was discharged and he passed in the keyfit at that point and life has been much easier since. Good luck to you I feel your frustration just try to keep in mind that you are just trying to keep your LO safe!!
  • Options
    I am so sorry you had this last bump. I hope you can bring LO home soon!!

Pp's already said what I was going to. We had the keyfit 30 and it was awesome. Ds left when he was under 5 lbs and he was nice and snug. Car beds are a last resort IMO and not nearly as safe as car seats. Also they aren't a long term fix so how would you know when to switch to a car seat? I know you want baby home and even a day is horrible but maybe LO will pass next time. Good luck!!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We have a graco snugride 30 and DS fit in it well, even though he was 4,7 at discharge. We got it on amazon(but it's at BBB too) in the "dragonfly" color.

• Options
    I had no idea that 3rd party inserts are not used.  Our NICU told us specifically which one to go out and buy.  LO passed the test first try.  I am still concerned about riding alone with him in the car though.  I am lucky I have my Mom who will go with us on any outings we need to go on so he won't be alone in the back seat.

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• Options
    Will they retest? My second failed the car seat test twice, once because she wasn't ready and the second time due to nurse error. Nurse claimed she could not get the seat level, which I called BS, because it was the same seat we used for my first DD.

Anyway, I requested they retest my youngest, they took out all the pads, etc and she passed with no issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"