November 2012 Moms

Moving with the LO

edited March 2014 in November 2012 Moms
Well we are officially closing escrow in a few weeks and we haven't even started packing. Benjamin will be super helpful unpacking, but packing, not so much. Haha. Anyone have any tips on how to make the process easier with a toddler?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker
imageimage

Re: Moving with the LO

• No experience with that here...but yay!!! that is so exciting for your family!! congrats, the house is beautiful from the pics you posted!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we did it in August so she was less mobile but I just did as many boxes while she napped and at night after dinner.  Like pp said, try and get a sitter for a few hrs...good luck, its not easy!
  • Loading the player...
  • great question we are moving end of april, so I am looking forward to the responses.
  • We moved last summer when DD was less mobile, but it was still a challenge.  DH and I took turns packing when the other was watching DD.  We also tried to make the most out of nap time, but obviously needed to be quiet.  

• Thanks ladies. I figure we will do most packing during naps and at night. But moving day is going to be interesting. My mom is coming so that should help greatly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • We just recently moved.  My MIL came to town and helped tremendously, with packing and entertaining LO. 
  • We're in the process of packing/moving right now.  We move into our new apt on Friday! While I do try to pack during naptime and after bed, I also have school so that time is usually dedicated to that. As far as packing, I usually have the boys "help" me by holding the roll of tape or playing with empty boxes.  That usually keeps them pretty occupied, and they love exploring the newly-empty places (cabinets and rooms as I pack everything up).
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • It sucks.  Bad.  We bought a house last month and DH has been working on renovating it while I pack up our currently place.  The only time I get anything done is after they go to sleep or on the rare occasion that someone takes them out of the house for a couple hours.  We have had to postpone the move twice now due to a combination of renovations not being completed at the new house and my inability to get this place packed with 16 month old twins.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• So I just did this. Well, it was a partial move, so it was a fraction of the task you'll be undertaking. That said, we basically split all of the household tasks up a little differently for a month. I packed and tossed stuff out, and DH looked after LO and cleaned house etc.. On the last day, my parents came over and looked after LO while DH packed a few DH specific items. On move day, we just alternated looking after LO. We found it really easy, but this was a very small move and we bought all new furniture etc. when we got here.

We are looking at another big cross border move soon, which means we have to make a list of every item in every box and we have to accompany our things over the border. This also means the move will have to be completed in two stages because most moving trucks only have two seats, and LO will have to come over the border with us as well. I think the way we will handle it will be to throw out as much as possible, pack and label ourselves in the way I described above, and then get a set of grandparents to come with us to the border, keep LO on one side while we cross, park our stuff,  cross back over in rental, bring LO over the border..and then have caravan carry on to our destination. For that particular move, however, the plan is to have some friend or family around to help us with LO - take her to the park, etc., while the big stuff is happening.

The only thing that has been frustrating about moving so much is that it really disrupts LO's schedule. She basically doesn't sleep while we travel from home to the next and she goes a little crazy. Plus, she has had bad luck illness-wise this year. She inevitably gets catastrophically ill around the time that the travel takes place, so that's been hard on her too. I suspect if she hadn't gotten sick, then the sleeping etc. would have been a little bit easier. The bright side is, when we move we tend to eat in restaurants and LO LOVES restaurants. This next move will involves lots of those.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"