LGBT Parenting
Options

What's for Dinner Wednesday?

What's for dinner, Bumpies? Any recipes to share?

QOTW: Who does most of the cooking in your house?
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday?

• Options
    Chili with cornbread lol because I have severe cankles and I can put it on and sit down for a while.

QOTW:Who does most of the cooking in your house? That is easy me.Heather claims she can't cook but I think its because she is scared, I'm a vegetarian and she isn't so she always uses the excuse I don't know what to make you.
  • Options
    Tonight it will probably be some Spaghetti Os, garlic bread, and a salad.  M has an appointment that usually takes FOREVER so we are on our own and I am feeling REALLY lazy today!

QOTW--BEFORE pregnancy it was me, now it is M!  However, she really can't cook that well and keeps trying new things that just don't work out LOL

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Breakfast for dinner!  Bacon, eggs, hash browns, and either pancakes or French toast.

QOTW: I cook.  C doesn't know how to cook so I just make her clean the kitchen instead.  She tried to cook a couple times.  I asked her to make some scrambled eggs so she cracked the eggs right in the pan and started scraping them around with a fork.  On my Teflon pans!!  I told her to drop the fork and get out of the kitchen.

She'll make some stuff on occasion, like Kraft mac n cheese or microwave some hot dogs.  She'll make toast.  I'm pretty sure she wouldn't eat anything but simple carbs if something happened to me.  *sigh*

• Options

Made our meals on Sunday again.  This week we have been eating -

Okra gumbo w/ kidney beans and chickpeas

Coconut curry dish w/ tomatoes, chickpeas, and swiss chard (WOW!  Definitely the most impressive of our meals this week.)

Wild rice soup w/ lentils, white beans, and cabbage

QOTW: Almost always me.  Before I was vegan, Z would cook a bit more.  She does not like following recipes and also claims not to know what to cook for us (even though we have been eating vegan for 3 years and I've been vegetarian the entire time she has known me!).  She will cook for me every once in a while, which I greatly appreciate, but it also causes me a little anxiety because the kitchen is a MESS by the time she is done.  I clean as I go when I cook.  But, I do appreciate the thought and effort and she does a good job when she tries. :)

• Options
    KH826KH826 member

So I am going to share what we had for dinner on Monday and Tuesday nights (PIPs attached below!)... Monday night I made the green beans I talked about last week with sauteed cauliflower and veggie burgers (I admit they were from a box). Tuesday night I made stuffed peppers (stuffed with brown rice, spinach, mushrooms, marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese) with sauteed baby broccoli.

Tonight, I have no idea what we are having. It is my birthday, and my wife is in charge. We shall see what she comes up with HAHA

QOTW: I have always done 95% of the cooking, but lately my wife has tried to make at least 1 meal a week. I am trying to encourage her to cook a little bit more so that we can share the responsibility as the 3rd tri rolls on and I start feeling less and less like cooking...

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    We're having corned beef and cabbage! Well, sort of. We decided to have St. Patrick's Day food today, since we missed it on Monday, but when my wife went to the store for corned beef, neither of the stores she visited had any left. So she bought brisket instead, which is in the crock pot now. Also cabbage (of course) and potatoes, and a green salad. We'll eat it tonight and tomorrow night. She's also making her mom's/grandmother's soda bread, which I love.

@ATXMommas -- when you cook on Sunday for the week, do you find you get tired of eating the same thing several days in a row? I usually make a pot of soup, a grain salad or something like that on the weekends and eat it most of the week for lunch, but I find on the third day I never want it. We braised chicken on Sunday to eat on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (it made six servings) and we were fine with it Monday but on Tuesday neither of us wanted it. We were good and ate it anyway, but sometimes the aversion on the third day leads to take-out and/or throwing food out, neither of which I want to be in the habit of. It doesn't matter how good it is; on the third day, we're done. If it's freezable, I try to at least freeze the rest in single-serving portions so I can take it for lunch when I don't have anything else.

QOTW: I think I've mentioned that my wife is a chef by training -- she went to culinary school and worked in high-end restaurants for years. So although I consider myself a pretty good cook by home-cook standards, she blows me out of the water in certain areas -- especially speed, knife skills, and cooking meat and seafood (she just has a good sense of when something is done, and can tell by poking it). Because she's so fast, she does a lot of our week-night cooking. We both get home around 7 most nights, and we just get to eat earlier if she's in charge. And if we're grilling meat or cooking seafood, she just does a much better job.

That said, there are certain things that are considered my "territory" because I just do them better. A lot of times these are things that need to be cooked more slowly or gently; professional chefs tend to be high-heat cooks and she does not want to stand at a pan and stir something patiently. I am the scrambled egg cook and the pancake cook. I am also the baker, as she is not a huge fan of following recipes to the letter and it's hard not to do that when you're baking. I make a lot of our lunch dishes -- soups, salads, etc. And because I am also a researcher by training/profession/nature, I am the one who finds new recipes to try out.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options
    All your dinners sound AMAZING!

I am making a mushroom soup with chicken broth. It will be broth based instead of creamy. We'll have that with some bread and and probably a salad.

In our house, I am the one that typically cooks but since January I have been working in a program at the gym and C has really picked up doing more cooking...its so nice to share that!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Last night I made beef and veggie stir fry. That has been our quick go to meal lately.

Tonight I think I'm going to make chicken, possibly lemon pepper, and then some roasted sweet potatoes. When I make roasted sweet potatoes, I toss them in Olive oil and sprinkle them with cinnamon and then brown sugar toward the end. They are delicious!

QOTW: I do most of the cooking because I work until 5 and C works until 7 and has a 35 min drive. I try to have dinner ready when she gets home. I hate eating so late, but I'm not really for us eating separately. During good weather, C does almost all of the grilling.

Funny grilling story: My MIL had a pig butchered two years ago and gave us some of the meat. Last summer I was grilling pork chops for dinner. I had them on and walked into the house to finish cleaning up the kitchen. I was only in the house for maybe two minutes. When I walked back out, the grill was on fire! And, by fire, I mean that the cover was down and flames were shooting out wherever they could. I called C in a panic and then turned off the propane. I was hoping that the pork chops were still edible...not so much. Needless to say, this is still a joke between us and my grilling is closely supervised.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    KH826KH826 member

@ATXmommas - I clean the kitchen as I go too! I usually can't let myself sit down to dinner until the kitchen is mostly clean (sometimes just a pan soaking in the sink). My wife, on the other hand, I swear is determined to dirty as many pots, pans, utensils and other things in the kitchen as possible and leave them in the sink, on the counter, on the stove, etc. while we eat. It makes me crazy, and I CANNOT relax and enjoy my meal with that mess taunting me/hanging over my head! HAHA. I know that makes me sound like a nut, but it is something I struggle with. I like to be in control in the kitchen too, so my wife really only cooks when I am totally not involved. I guess I need to work on some things HA!

@wishiwaspreggo - now I want pancakes! Yum! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

Monday and Tuesday we had an awesome, and healthy, green chicken chili that we do in the crockpot.  Today and tomorrow we will have chicken enchiladas that I prepped last night (they just need to go in the oven when I get home).

In the past, I have always done 99% of the cooking.  It's not that S can't cook, it's just that I would take more ownership of it.  Also she works such long hours that I typically had more energy to cook than she did in the evenings.  Now that we have the kiddo, it's either GET IT DONE FAST so we can all eat at once, or he eats something basic and we eat much later after he's gone to bed.  Because of this, S has started cooking a lot more, and it's been an awesome help.  She usually gets home a bit before me, so as long as we've got something planned (and often even when we don't) she'll have it going by the time Gabe and I get home.

All that being said, S is a recipe-follower.  As long as it's written down, she's cool.  I tend to use recipes as a starting point and adjust as I feel like it.  I would say I'm more comfortable in the kitchen than she is, for sure, but she's getting better and better.

Summary: Kids change stuff

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    Our dinner for tonight has now evolved into chicken, broccoli and cauliflower Alfredo with garlic bread.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    @JGY - is that green chicken chili recipe online?
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options
    JGYJGY member
    @ball.and.chain I will see if I can find it online and then check back tomorrow to post it.  If it's not online, I'll just type it out.  It's a bit on the weird side, but we really enjoy it.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options

I just realized Wednesday was the worst day for this thread to be for me. We have Spanish classes on Wednesday evenings, so dinner tends to be leftovers or super simple. Today it'll be leftover pizza from Monday. It's really good pizza, though. The crust is homemade and it's topped with goat cheese, cheddar, pepperjack, spinach, leftover aji (basically salsa), leftover steak, and leftover bacon. So it's leftover leftover pizza.

QOTW: My wife does pretty much all the cooking. She's really good at it, and I'm pretty helpless.  I'll be her sous chef sometimes. I can follow directions, but that's about it.

Me: 28 DW: 28

Together since 5/30/02. Married since 8/31/08

IUI#1 - 12/13/13 = BFN

IUI#2 - 1/22/14 = BFN

IUI#3 - 2/21/14 = BFN

IUI#4 - 3/23/14

• Options
    Ok really quickly (Kaden is not going down for his nap....)

Tonight we're having dim sum (from frozen pre-made) and homemade asparagus and shitake mushrooms in a teriyaki sauce with rice.

But Monday we made these amazing black bean veggie burgers that EV and Kaden both looooved (me too, but they're my critics ;-)   @ATXmommas passed on the recipe.  I had to use panko instead of breadcrumbs, and I only had steel cut oats so I ran those through the vitamix before adding. That plus the other veggies and spices - yummmy!!  We had a salad with them and dinner roll. I gave one to our midwife to take home to her partner.

I think the rest of the week is going to involve BBQing all the meat I bought from Costco today.  We'll see.  But I'm definitely going to make veggies burgers at least once a week.

• Options
    Whole wheat penne pasta with steamed mixed veggies mixed in the sauce and a side of steamed spinach. I try to eat my healthiest when my darling is at work because we tend to eat less nutritious when she is home. 

QOTW: I definitely cook 99% of the time because my wife doesn't like to cook. At all. She and her brothers at the station rotate who cooks (no choice on when) and she despises when it is her turn. She CAN cook, she just doesn't enjoy it at all. I, on the other hand, love to cook and bake. 

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

• Options
    Wow crazy busy day full of meetings. I am making bangers and mash and asparagus. Trying out this recipe. this https://thesuburbansoapbox.com/2014/03/13/bangers-and-mash-with-onion-mustard-gravy/

J had to change plans last minute to drop our car off to get some work done, so my dad is picking her up and bringing her home and then we are all having dinner together. I will be running to the store as soon as I leave work and getting moving. 

QOTW: I usually cook. J thinks I am better at it. I'm just more patient. She has been cooking a lot more lately though. I couldn't cook much at all the first trimester and now I'm just huge and lazy :)

• Options
    @B&C - usually I'm good for at least 3 days - even longer if I especially like the dish. Every once in a while, I'll try a new recipe that isn't all that great, but I'll force myself to eat it until it's gone - I don't like throwing food out either and I just remind myself that it's healthy and nutritious.

@KH826 - sounds just like my wife!!! Drives me nuts, but I try not to say anything because her gesture is sincere.

@jazibel - glad the black bean burgers turned out well! And good job on improvising!
  • Options
    We're also having @ATXmommas‌' black bean burgers tonight. Delicious!!!

And as @manada mentioned, I've been cooking up a storm tonight! I'm trying to make a bunch of stuff to freeze and eat for the next few days. I have pasta sauce in the slow cooker, and yellow split pea dahl and chili on the go right now. I had plans to make a shepherd pie with lentils but we didn't have dry lentils like I thought we did and the canned lentils were gelatinous and got thrown away! So the mashed potatoes are made for those as are the veggies. I will get lentils and compile it tomorrow. I also was planning to make a freeze a bunch of bean, rice, and cheese burritos (making refried beans by the Moosewood cookbook recipe) but I think those will also have to wait until tomorrow.

Next up is cleaning the kitchen and making room in the freezer!

QOTW: I probably do about 80% of the cooking. I enjoy it. M's capable of cooking though. :)
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    We had steak with zucchini and mixed veggies.

QOTW I normally cook, since I got pregnant I'm in a rut though, so I'm trying to cook one new thing every month. This month was a wonderful pork butt stew with parsnips and sweet potato. Not as ambitious as I used to be, but then I didn't have a baby and new job back then :-)
    IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• Options
    JGYJGY member

@ball.and.chain Here is the recipe for that Green Chicken Chili

(FYI this is from a book by Bill Phillips - he's known for clean eating, very balanced protein/carb-wise, but his recipes tend to be really dumbed-down, and the book clearly has sponsors because he mentions specific brands a lot.  So, whatever, take that for what you will).

As I mentioned, this recipe is a bit different, I wasn't sure about the hominy at first but I actually love it.  It's pretty thin for chili, but that's fine with us because we always have leftovers and if it's too thick then it doesn't work well for that.  The one thing I'm not a super big fan of is using the gravy mix packet, only because I feel like those things are full of chemicals.  But whatever, I get over it because you really need it for this.

Ingredients:

8 Cups Fat Free Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
    1 Onion, finely chopped
    2 lbs chicken breast
    2 pkgs Knorr Roasted Chicken Gravy Mix
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 Cup Cilantro, chopped
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 jalapenoes, seeded and chopped
    1 can (28 oz) white hominy, drained

Directions:

There are a few different ways to make this, but we just throw everything except the gravy mix into the crock pot and cook it on low for 8 hours (we've cooked it on high for 4, and it's worked fine too).  After 8 hours, we pull out the chicken and either shred it using 2 forks, or rough chop it.  We pre-mix the gravy mix in a bit of water to get it smooth/no lumps, then stir it in to the mixture.  The original recipe says to just whisk it in direct from the packet, but that doesn't really work on account of all the other things in there.  Throw the chicken back in and voila!

Good luck.

Oh, and also depending on how spicy you like things, we've used a serrano pepper in there to kick things up.  The canned diced chilis don't really add any heat, so it's just whatever kick the jalapeno has (typically not too much).

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Options
    Thanks @JGY! I love hominy (and spicy food).
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"