September 2012 Moms

UO

I do have one, kind of, that has to wait until later due to oversleeping. Grumble.
"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)

Re: UO

• melody921melody921 member
    edited March 2014
    I'm irrationally bothered by this blog teaser on the home page of the bump: "Find out how the new rules will effect the safety of baby's stroller."

AFFECT, for the love of God

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Crap I had 3 or 4 of them yesterday. I should've written them down.

• melody921melody921 member
    edited March 2014
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but I have no problem with the grandparents giving Easter baskets or Christmas stockings. IMO, If it bothers you enough to tell them they aren't allowed to (give your child a gift), your priorities are messed up.
    So I'm guilty of this -- not of actually telling them they can't give a gift or being anything less than grateful for it, because that would be rude. But definitely of thinking to myself "This is so unnecessary for the kids to receive three baskets, stockings, whatever." I'm pretty sure I've gotten over it though ;-) If the grandparents want to spoil the kids, it's OK.

• I mentioned this in the other thread, but I have no problem with the grandparents giving Easter baskets or Christmas stockings. IMO, If it bothers you enough to tell them they aren't allowed to (give your child a gift), your priorities are messed up.
    So I'm guilty of this -- not of actually telling them they can't give a gift or being anything less than grateful for it, because that would be rude. But definitely of thinking to myself "This is so unnecessary for the kids to receive three baskets, stockings, whatever." I'm pretty sure I've gotten over it though ;-) If the grandparents want to spoil the kids, it's OK.
    Haha! You must get that from your mom ;)
    bahahaha, good one. I never thought of it that way. I am becoming the same PITA that my mom is to me.

• edited March 2014

On a somewhat related note, we should all realize our children are different than others. Some may be easy kids, others a little more spirited, if you will. We shouldn't judge until you've walked in that moms shoes.

Was just saying this last night. One of my friends has an almost 3 year old so has declared herself the expert on all things toddler. Her DD is spirited and wild and adorable but not a thing like DS. I've vowed never to give unsolicited parenting advice because it's so annoying. Their kid is not my kid after all.
    (Formerly MamaBearKendy)
  • @dimples12 I hear ya! My Mil bought him dive sticks and size 10 sandals for Christmas, in addition to a bunch of other stuff. Umm what? I don't even want to store that shit. My parents are completely guilty of spoiling too.

And FTR I wasn't referring to you on the baskets. I was thinking of the conversation that was had back around Christmas :)

• I mentioned this in the other thread, but I have no problem with the grandparents giving Easter baskets or Christmas stockings. IMO, If it bothers you enough to tell them they aren't allowed to (give your child a gift), your priorities are messed up.
    I'm probably one of these people.  I have no issues with someone giving Easter gifts and I'm pretty sure my MIL does do a stocking and I haven't said she couldn't, but it does bother me a bit.  I can't remember if she did an actual basket last year either.  But again, I'll own up to the fact that the spoiling bothers me a bit.  I think if she said oh Santa and the Easter Bunny come to our house that would irk me.  I feel like the grandparents should give the parents a chance to do all the things they got a chance to do for their own kids. 

I'm sure this won't make sense to others, but it's just the way I feel.  I think part of the difficulty or issue is that my family didn't do that (grandparents giving stockings and Easter baskets), so it's new to me. 
  • I don't mind my IL's spoiling my kids.  What I mind is my MIL bringing over spoiled ketchup because it was "only spoiled by 6 months (read 10) and your kids will probably get more use of it than me."  Um...no.  The trash will get the use out of your two Sam's club size bottles of spoiled ketchup.  AND the two spoiled yogurts you brought with it.  WTH?  Thanks, but no thanks.  Pet Peeve= overly spoiled foods. 

Bear with me, I am home with a stomach bug today and my posts might seem off because I'm hurting.  :(

Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • MRoxy0628 said:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I have no problem with the grandparents giving Easter baskets or Christmas stockings. IMO, If it bothers you enough to tell them they aren't allowed to (give your child a gift), your priorities are messed up.

I'm probably one of these people.  I have no issues with someone giving Easter gifts and I'm pretty sure my MIL does do a stocking and I haven't said she couldn't, but it does bother me a bit.  I can't remember if she did an actual basket last year either.  But again, I'll own up to the fact that the spoiling bothers me a bit.  I think if she said oh Santa and the Easter Bunny come to our house that would irk me.  I feel like the grandparents should give the parents a chance to do all the things they got a chance to do for their own kids. 

I'm sure this won't make sense to others, but it's just the way I feel.  I think part of the difficulty or issue is that my family didn't do that (grandparents giving stockings and Easter baskets), so it's new to me. 

But they're not taking away your chance to do those things for your own kids...

• @OceanLover26‌ do we have the same MIL? What about half eaten boxes of cereal? I hope you feel better!

I know. I realize in some ways it's irrational. I guess I just want to make sure it doesn't cross the line into things like MIL buying a bike or something that we would want to give a kid. I get that a second basket in no way diminishes the bunny's contributions.

• @MeatballEsq does she live in Lapeer?  Because my MIL sends half boxes of cookies home with my kids, too!  Stale ones.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • I also wouldn't have a problem with grandparents buying C a bike. I'm not saying there's something wrong with you feeling that way! I don't think the child will necessarily remember who it came from, but the fun they had learning to ride it with you :)

No, they're not, but it can come across as trying to compete.  I think this all depends on they type of in-laws (or parents) we each have.  And right now, it doesn't matter much, because Lily won't remember that, but she will someday and that matters to me.  I think this is just another example of things we all do differently that other think are silly.  I'm not trying squash the discussion, just wanted to throw that point out there. 
  • My parents buy almost all of my kids' clothes.  My mother loves to shop for them and buys a ton, plus it saves me money, so I let her.  I could see if I had some really special gift plan and the swiped the idea or something, but I'm so ok with letting them buy the kids whatever they want.

• My grandparents always got us Easter baskets, stockings etc.  I certainly don't feel I was spoiled or that my parents were deprived of making those memories with me.  If anything, it was just something else to look forward to when I was old enough to understand.

My UO: just because you WANT something doesn't mean you will be good at it, or should have it. This brought to you by my nursing orientation last night.  Everyone is not meant to be a nurse.  If you want to have me tell you otherwise when you've heard nursing school is "so hard" I'm not going to disagree with you.  It IS hard.  You could literally kill someone if you fuck up at your job.  It's supposed to be hard.  
    Yeah, I want to be a Broadway star, but I don't sing or dance. I think sometimes parents set their kids up to fail in this regard by telling them they're great at something that they're not. My parents were supportive, but they were also realistic. They told me I was good at the violin, because I was. They didn't tell me I was a superstar athlete when I had no skills to speak of.

• I think for me, part of it has to do with the way that I grew up. My grandparents weren't around for holidays, so everything was always just from my parents. It's weird for me too have a stocking at my ILs house for my kids, because I didn't grow up having a stocking at my grandparents house. Don't get me wrong, I would never deprive my ILs from getting a gift for the kids for any occasion, but it will be from them to celebrate 'x' holiday, not from the Easter bunny or Santa. Also, (my opinion) kids are so spoiled. I don't want that for my kids. I don't want them to run over to my ILs every time they visit asking what they bought for them. But, I'm also the mom that rarely buys my kids something 'just because'. I have a friend that would buy her children something special every time she left the house. Even just to the grocery store. It was ridiculous and I just can't be that mom.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • I can understand not wanting anyone else to buy an Easter basket or stocking, if you're really into the Easter Bunny/Santa thing and don't want to have to explain why Santa goes to two houses for your kid and not everyone else. My great grandma sends Eddie a card with $2 in it for every minor holiday, just like she did when I was little, and I think it's adorable.

Bath time should not be a spectator sport. Just because they're over to visit around bedtime does not mean that I should have two aunts, grandma and grandpa all watching me giving LO a bath for 10-15 minutes. I'm sure this one is just me, but I just don't like it that they think a bath is an appropriate family event.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I can understand not wanting anyone else to buy an Easter basket or stocking, if you're really into the Easter Bunny/Santa thing and don't want to have to explain why Santa goes to two houses for your kid and not everyone else. My great grandma sends Eddie a card with $2 in it for every minor holiday, just like she did when I was little, and I think it's adorable. Bath time should not be a spectator sport. Just because they're over to visit around bedtime does not mean that I should have two aunts, grandma and grandpa all watching me giving LO a bath for 10-15 minutes. I'm sure this one is just me, but I just don't like it that they think a bath is an appropriate family event.
    If my parents or MIL are over during bath time I usually let them give him a bath. It's usually DH's alone time with DS while I get stuff done so if someone else is over they take over. Fine by me ;P I wouldn't want 10 people in my bathroom however.

• I don't care if my MIL or my parents buy gifts or stockings or baskets for LO. I just want them to respect that LO doesn't need candy or electronics for gifts. My family agrees with this but my MIL thinks I'm seriously depriving my one year old for not giving her bags of candy at Christmas or Easter.
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • UO: I think it's ok to spoil your kids as long as you can teach them to appreciate it. I was spoiled (more so later in life) but I appreciated it.
    I will fully admit that I was spoiled and still am but I fully appreciate it. I don't have a sense of entitlement like many of the people my age do. While I will say DS is spoiled I don't go overboard and while I'm buying things for him it's with the intention of not buying later again for #2. 1st kids are expensive...

• edited March 2014
    Speaking of spoiling kids, my Mom just emailed me.  She wants to buy this for Nancy so she has it for her house. https://www.zulily.com/invite/sjanasiak369/p/pink-convertible-sports-car-ride-on-78435-6475403.html?tid=social_email_ref_shareviaicon_eventpage_modal_b5e200d2a0d6e136a419ecb1118818e0

I actually told her no and suggested that if she wants to get her a car, get her a cozy coupe.  

In all fairness, my Mom shops like crazy when she's feeling bad and the anniversary of my Dad's passing is coming up very quickly.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• If we are able to spoil our children we will, in a good way. I was "spoiled" but I always had a job and knew the value of money. My parents were able to give us things because they worked hard. But they also told us no. A lot. I hope to do the same thing with my kids.
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"