High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Those that had GD...

After your LO was born, did your doctor make you retake the GTT to see if you were now diabetic or pre-diabetic?  I've seen several other people on my BMB say that their OB's never mentioned it. 

Mine wants to test me about 6 months after my PP exam (so LO will be around 7.5 months).  He wanted to do a 2 hour test.  However, I'm over my OB and his office and I don't want to go back.  My re-test appointment got "lost" because they switched to a new scheduling system with the new year and didn't realize they needed to look in May to copy my appointment over.  I don't want to reschedule it and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get the new OB I want to use to do the test or if it's something I can just forget about. 

image image
LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those that had GD...

• Options
    Following up 6 months-1year after having GD is recommended but you don't need an OB--any doctor can test, and an OB is probably not the best choice for determining if you're diabetic.  My OB never mentioned testing and I hadn't followed up when I got pregnant again.  Not diabetic at the beginning of this one, so I think I was okay.  However, your odds of having type 2 are higher and you don't want to not know if you do start to have type 2, so I recommend seeing a primary care doctor and having this plus cholesterol and all the other basic health screens you may need.
  • Options
    Following up 6 months-1year after having GD is recommended but you don't need an OB--any doctor can test, and an OB is probably not the best choice for determining if you're diabetic.  My OB never mentioned testing and I hadn't followed up when I got pregnant again.  Not diabetic at the beginning of this one, so I think I was okay.  However, your odds of having type 2 are higher and you don't want to not know if you do start to have type 2, so I recommend seeing a primary care doctor and having this plus cholesterol and all the other basic health screens you may need.
    This!  I'm not done yet, but I was borderline when I got pregnant so the chances of me having type II, or at least on my way there even after LO comes is high.  Just go to your primary doc for testing, but I would definitely recommend you stay on top of it.  I know it's harder to take care of ourselves once LO isn't affected anymore, but your own health is important too.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's important to get retested six months to a year and then annually, but yeah any doc can do it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine didn't say anything about it, but that could be because they were "pretty sure" I was diabetic before pregnancy and wrote me off as Type II in their system...long story short, my family has a history of getting GD early in the pregnancy, and I had had blood work done 3 months before and had no issues, so I refused to believe I contracted Type II in 2 months...the OB on call the day I discharged after delivery sent me home with some med to control my blood sugar, but I tested my sugars for at least a week after delivery and they were well within normal range, so I didn't take the meds. I followed up with the OBs office at my 6 week pp appt and a month ago for my yearly exam and they didn't say anything more about it.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    I had to retest at 6 month mark. I stalled till 9 months. My sugar was fine.

Of course had to do the 3 hour early with this pregnancy. Just found out I am borderline GD. They want me following diet. Oh well.......so much for hoping this one would be different. 
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You can buy a monitor, lancet, and strips at Walmart for under $25.  Your target levels are super easy to find on the internet (only reputable sources, please!) or you can go to your GP and they'll test.  I hate the fasting tests, as I can fast at home, drink 1, 12 oz glass of grape juice and check it myself.  

The normal blood glucose level (tested while fasting) for non-diabetics, should be between 70 and 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL). The mean normal blood glucose level in humans is about 5.5 mM (5.5 mmol/L or 100 mg/dL, i.e. milligrams/deciliter);[6] however, this level fluctuates throughout the day. Blood sugar levels for those without diabetes and who are not fasting should be below 125 mg/dL.[8] The blood glucose target range for diabetics, according to the American Diabetes Association, should be 90–130 (mg/dL) before meals, and less than 180 mg/dL after meals (as measured by a blood glucose monitor).[9]

Despite widely variable intervals between meals or the occasional consumption of meals with a substantial carbohydrate load, human blood glucose levels tend to remain within the normal range. However, shortly after eating, the blood glucose level may rise, in non-diabetics, temporarily up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) or slightly more. For people with diabetes maintaining 'tight diabetes control', the American Diabetes Association recommends a post-meal glucose level of less than 10 mmol/L (180 mg/dL) and a fasting plasma glucose of 3.9 to 7.2 mmol/L (70–130 mg/dL).[10]

m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded.  I still have my strips and meter from my pregnancy, so I could test it a few times at home and see how it looks.  I don't have a GP anymore.  I rarely get sick and if I did, I would just go to one of the local walk-in clinics.  So I need to figure out what to do about getting re-tested. 

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Options
    I thought I would add the following since this is sort of why I was checking the message board-

I have had GD with both pregnancies and after each one I had my glucose checked around 6 weeks and then in between the pregnancies my glucose was checked at my annual physical.  After my first, my test results were normal.  After my second, they were a little abnormal so at the follow up appointment with the endocrinologist they did an A1C test which checks the average blood glucose levels for the past 2-3 months. It was w/in range so the doctor suggested we treat the abnormal test results as a red flag and that for now, the best treatment is to make diet/lifestyle changes to the extent I can as a mom with 2 young children.  I'm also supposed to get tested again about 6 months post- partum.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"