Pregnant after IF

Follistim + Femara and IUI?

Hello!  I'm a regular on TTGP and 3T...  If this forum is inappropriate for me just let me know and I can take this question elsewhere.  

I was just wondering if anyone here had success using follistim plus femara with IUI.  I know everyone's different, and most of you have probably done IVF (I think, anyway).  I've done 3 rounds with Clomid and haven't had success.  My doctor is switching my meds to see if that helps.  She doesn't think IVF is appropriate for me just yet so she wanted to try hybrid injectables and femara.

Did this change help you in your journey?  Thank you all, and congrats on your pregnancies!

Re: Follistim + Femara and IUI?

• I did 2 IUIs with Femara which resulted in BFNs, and one with Follistim (without Femara) which got me my BFP.  So, I'm a fan of injectables... :)  Best of luck to you, hope your wish comes true!!
    Me: 37 | DH: 38 | Married 9/2012, low AMH, high FSH
    First-ever BFP after IUI #4 (Follistim) - Baby Girl born (36w2d) 8/8/2014!
    TTC #2 since Feb 2015
    BFP 5/4/15
  • Hi! My doctor told me I could go the Clomid route, but for my specific case of IF, it would have only brought my chances of success to 8%, whereas an injectible IUI cycle would have brought me to 20% (which is what the average couple has each month).
    Anyway, I did 2 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI cycles. The first one was unsuccessful and the second ended up working. Good luck to you!  
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @1983lindsey!  That is reassuring.  My RE said I respond well to Clomid but something about it is not working.  Hopefully this makes all the difference :) Waiting for AF right now before I can move forward... I'll probably start my period late next week.

• I did not want to do injectables if I didn't need to so I did 2 rounds of clomid which failed and first round of femera I got a BFP but it was a chemical. Second round of femera we added progesterone suppositories. another BFP! Good luck sometimes femera makes all the difference.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ah, just saw your responses @marnief and @MJC1116!  Glad it worked for you :) RE thinks Follistim by itself would be too strong for me so we're trying hybrid first.
  • edited March 2014

Yeah, Follistim kind of makes me nervous because I heard that's what Kate Gosselin used and got pregnant with 6 babies.  I completely understand how rare that is but still... I'm nervous enough about getting triplets, let alone 6 lol!  I'm sure a lot's changed in the past decade.

ETA: I hope that doesn't scare anyone!!!  It's obviously really uncommon or else we'd be hearing about more sextuplets out there...

• Thanks @IntuitiveBlue!  That's good to hear.  I don't mind risking twins.  Triplets or higher though... kinda scary.  My RE's office wouldn't let me cycle if I overstimulated so I should be okay :) I'm hoping the Follistim will be at low enough doses that I won't really have a problem.

Good luck at your ultrasound today!  I'll be lurking here to see how it goes!

• Hey there, I recognize you from 3T as well. I don't have experience with injectables, but I did get my BFP with Femara. If the 5th cycle didn't work, the Follistim/Femara protocol was going to be our final step before IVF. My RE seemed pretty confident about the combo...he said that he really likes using them together and has seen good success with the patients that have used it.

GL to you! Hope to see you switch over here soon! *hugs*
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • We got our bfp off a femara/Bravelle cycle- good luck to you :)

*Ticker/Siggy Warning*

Me: 37 DH: 38 TTC since 2011 DH normal Dx: DOR (AFC ranges from 6-11; AMH 0.16; FSH 11.9; E2 45) 11/13: 1st IVF converted to IUI due to poor response to high dose antagonist protocol (only 3 follies) = BFN 12/13: IUI #2 letrozole + Bravelle = BFP, beta #1 156, beta #2 196 (diff. lab), beta #3 1037; 1st ultrasound @ 5 wks 1 day = 6 mm gest sac; 2nd ultrasound 6 wks 1 day = tiny flickering heartbeat; 3rd ultrasound 7 wks 1 day 10.3 mm embie growing away! 

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We switched to femara + ovidrel when I didn't respond at all with Clomid. With my first cycle, I responded really fast and the follicle got rather large (IUI was not successful). With my second cycle, I didn't think I was responding and was super upset (called my mom sobbing!). My first monitoring appt showed no follicle growth. We kept monitoring and turned out we just had a slow grower that I'm not pregnant with! Good luck! Obviously, I had much better luck with femara than with clomid. 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Thanks, everyone!  Your stories are giving me hope :) I guess Clomid isn't a magic bullet for everyone, then.  I was starting to worry maybe it was me... I guess we'll see after my next IUI.  Now, if only AF would get here I can get back to business!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"