Special Needs
Options

New preschool and ASD evals

Maddy has had a medical dx of developmental delays and ASD since Dec 2012 (she was 21 months old then). We moved to a new school district and she is aging out of EI, so the new school district has been doing a lot of evals for ASD and for preschool placement. They sat us down and said as a team they are not sure that the Autism diagnosis fits. They said they reviewed the report from her diagnosis and the psychologist did not factor in her cognitive delays (they had a psychologist do a cognitive evaluation at the school). I guess it doesn't really impact the services they are providing her through the school, so overall the label doesn't matter. I just feel like we are back to square one with no answers and no real diagnosis. It seems silly, but feeling like we belonged somewhere felt comforting.

On a very bright note, we toured her new preschool and met her new teacher and we are so excited. It is a school for cognitively impaired and they have so much to offer. A large sensory gym, a mechanical horse, the gym has modified bikes, there is a separate PT gym and OT room. The kids in her class are all very sweet and a good mix, I really think she will do great there. The teacher seems wonderful too.

Re: New preschool and ASD evals

• Options
    macchiattomacchiatto member
    edited March 2014
    I'm glad her new preschool seems like such a great fit.
    I'm sorry about the confusion and lack of answers though. That's hard. Do you agree with them? I know we were told that "educational autism" is separate from an ASD diagnosis, here in my state at least. 
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    We had the same issue--per the school psych testing they do not believe she is on the spectrum. i tend to put my belief with the doctor who can actually diagnose.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel conflicted, I completely agreed with the diagnosis but I see their point to some extent. She just has a lot of sensory issues though.
  • Options
    I can understand feeling conflicted. Hopefully things will become more clear over time.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"