October 2014 Moms

breast "alterations" ;)

So after my youngest was born (12 years ago) I had a breast reduction with "severe reduction" lol!! I went from a HH to a small D.

I'm saddened now that there is the possibility I won't be able to bf baby :( I knew it was about this when having the surgery, and at that point, I thought I was fine having children, but things have obviously changed & it makes me sad...I loved breastfeeding my other three. I won't know until LO is here as to if it's going to work or not, and I know there's no reason to stress, because I can't change it. Just wondering if anyone else has had a reduction or augmentation and has this same possibility?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: breast "alterations" ;)

• No personal experience, but a good friend went down the same size as you and she breastfed 3 kids afterwards and her one before. She said she saw no difference in her supply. I hope it works for you!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Gibson is due October 8th! (Bfp: January 29th)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Noah 12.26.2008

6 lbs 6 oz / 19.5 inches long

• Whether or not you're able to breastfeed after reduction depends mostly on nerve damage and on whether or not your milk ducts were damaged and/or removed during surgery. Also, the direction and location of the incisions can be helpful (typically incisions that are half circles or are close to the nipple carry more risk to your milk ducts and nerves than do incisions that are lines pointing toward your nipple, like the spokes of a wheel). If you have good sensation in your nipples, that's a positive sign. But you're right that it's mostly a "wait and see" sort of situation.

Many mothers who have had augmentation surgeries are able to breastfeed, and often exclusively! Some are able to breastfeed part time (even nursing part time can be a wonderful experience, can aid in bonding, and can create a positive and long-term breastfeeding relationship).

I would suggest finding your local LLL chapter and getting to know a leader or two there. They can be excellent sources of info, help, and encouragement once baby arrives, and it's great to have met them in advance. You can also see what IBCLC practices are in your area, and plan your support system before baby comes. :)

Best of luck to you!!!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I had breast augmentation surgery in 2008, or 2009 I can't remember ha. Ever since then my nipples have been ultra sensitive and not in a good way. They can been pretty painful at times. I am worried about breastfeeding too. My implants are placed under the muscle so that should help with actually being able to breast feed, but I'm worried it will be too painful. I am not sure about breast reduction though. I hope for the best for you!!
  • I had a reduction as well, over 10 years ago. I asked the prenatal nurse about it at my first OB appt yesterday and she mentioned that my doctor may be able to tell from my scars the type of surgery I've had and if bf is a possibility. We'll see how that goes.

And everything @Emerald27 said! :-)

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• I had a reconstruction and was unable to BF. My milk never came in, only colostrum. I think that definitely contributed to my breastfeeding failure. I also think my other issues played a role as well as having insufficient breast tissue. It was very sad. My boobs are hurting more this pregnancy so I pray that is a good sign and I will be able to at least part time BF this time or pump and supplement or something. 

Me: PCOS, Hashimotos, Blocked Left Tube
    BFP #1: Maya my little miracle was born 10/22/11
    BFP #2: After multiple failed rounds of Clomid, Femara, Injectables, and 2 IUIs, we are cautiously expecting twins(!!) on 10/15/14 thanks to IVF #1.

• Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited March 2014
    @RachelLily‌ Since breast tissue grows during each pregnancy, some mothers who were unable to breastfeed in their first pregnancy due to insufficient breast tissue are able to more and more in subsequent pregnancies. It's definitely worth talking to an IBCLC about! :)
    imageimage
  • I personally haven't had this but one of my good friends has a serious reduction, don't remember the sizes but it was quite remarkable. She was able to breastfeed her daughter until 1 yrs old. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I found this website helpful: https://bfar.org/index.shtml and plan on buying this book: https://www.amazon.com/Defining-your-Own-Success-Breastfeeding/dp/0912500867/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395607916&sr=8-1&keywords=breastfeeding+after+breast+reduction+surgery.

I had a breast reduction in 2000, so will have had 14.5yrs to heal by birth.  I plan on taking it one step at a time.  I've always assumed I wouldn't be able to breastfeed, and am considering purchasing a number of ounces of human milk from a milk bank to supplement with for the first few weeks at least.  This website gave me some hope that there could be a chance.  I think I will most likely produce milk in the beginning, it just depends on where my glands were cut and if they've been able to merge/heal in order to produce an exit for my milk.  I plan on renting a hospital grade pump for the first few weeks and if I can't get a supply, I will have to switch to formula eventually.  As a NICU nurse I feel pretty well educated on this topic, but still have no desire to speak to my MIL or friends who are ignorant about the topic about it.  If anyone questions or judges why I am not BFing, I will throat punch them.  This has always been a sensitive topic for me and only DH, my family and BF really know about it.  I already feel bad enough about it, so I don't need shit from people.

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• I had a breast reduction about 4 1/2 years before I had my son. I was able to breastfeed him but had to take domperidone, fenugreek, and blessed thistle at high doses and still had to supplement with formula. I also wasn't able to pump more than an ounce or so at a time. When I first had to give him formula I was pretty devastated, but he was very dehydrated and had lost so much weight.

I re-adjusted my expectations and we happily did a combo of breast- and formula-feeding for 7 months. (At that point my son was eating 3 solid meals a day and I literally didn't have time to breastfeed, bottle feed and prepare solids. He was also losing interest in the breast). I'm really proud of what I was able to give him and I'm hopeful that Breastfeeding my first helped some tissue regenerate to increase my supply with #2.

I'm happy to answer any questions about my experience. My MD and my LC were both great, but neither had encountered this situation before. So please PM me if you want more info or need support!
  • That would be a great thing @emerald27 and I plan to set up a meeting with a recommended LC about midway through my pregnancy :)

Me: PCOS, Hashimotos, Blocked Left Tube
    BFP #1: Maya my little miracle was born 10/22/11
    BFP #2: After multiple failed rounds of Clomid, Femara, Injectables, and 2 IUIs, we are cautiously expecting twins(!!) on 10/15/14 thanks to IVF #1.

• Not to be Debbie Downer, and keep in mind that everyone's experience with this is different.. But I had a reduction in 2007. Sadly, I barely produced anything with DS. I was also devastated. I pumped with the hospital grade pump and even at 4 weeks postpartum, I was producing less than 1 ounce from each side per pumping.
    This time I'm going to try milky and see what it does. It's expensive though, so I'm not sure how long we'll be able to keep it up.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"