November 2013 Moms
Options

starting solids?

Am I the only one who hasn't started LO on any kind of solids yet? We're still EBF and will be starting BLW at 6months.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
<3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 

Re: starting solids?

• Options
    We are going really slowly. LO will be 5 months in a few days and we have only tried oatmeal twice. I'm just not in any hurry at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mia won't be 4 months until the 28th, and I haven't really even given it a lot of thought yet to be honest.  We're going to talk to her pedi at her appt. on the 31st but only because I want to be informed since I anticipate her possibly starting sometime between her 4 and 6 month appointments.  No real plan to start here.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is only 4 months so no, I think that is too early..I would consider trying at maybe 5 1/2 months or If the dr suggest starting early for some reason. Otherwise no, it'll be around 6 months when he's able to digest and handle it better.
  • Options
    DS doesn't turn 4 month until the 25th. He isn't showing any signs of interest in food, still has a bit of tongue thrust reflex and still isn't fully sitting by himself so we are waiting. I am leaning towards just waiting until he is 6 months and maybe intro oatmeal at 5.5 months.
  • Options
    Nope we haven't done anything yet. I would love to start some sort of baby food (I don't know if I'm super excited about the cereal I think from reading things I want to bypass that all together) but then I think of the mess and figuring how to do it before work and so he's still content with breastmilk so I guess I'll just hold off for a little bit longer.
  • Options
    mmm50mmm50 member
    We still EBF and are waiting until 6 months.  I have tried giving him breastmilk with a spoon a couple times and he seemed to get the hang of it.  
  • Options
    SamanthaPoSamanthaPo member
    edited March 2014
    We are a few days past four months. She doesnt seem to be interested in food unless its eaten with a spoon then she's all about it. There will be no solids here for a while. In considering homemade baby cereal or something around 5 months.

ETA word choice

• Options
    Nope we are waiting until 6 months!
  • Options
    Nope, we are just four months and I don't think she is there quite yet. We have an appointment April 7 so we will see what the dr says then but for now I don't think it's necessary.
  • Options
    Sophia has her 4 month appt tomorrow where I'll be asking all the questions about starting foods (particularly what I can start with other than rice cereal like oatmeal, avocado, sweet potato, etc). She's definitely not ready yet. I plan to start as soon as she starts showing interest and signs of readiness.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    The nurses at my moms group have advised that it is recommended if you are ebf to use the iron fortified infant cereals because at 6 months their iron stores are depleted and they need to get iron from their foods. So if you are making your own cereals you will be missing that. Just wanted to put that out there. @SamanthaPo‌
  • Options

• Options
    DH and I discussed it briefly, then on Monday while he was home with her he tried it without me. He said it "wasn't very cute" and that she just "had it all over her face". WTF. I would have thought food all over her face was cute. Since there are no pictures I ignoring that he even tried it. We will try again when I'm around this time. She is showing interest, especially when she sees the other girl at the babysitter's eat, so we decided to give it a go.
  • Options
    We were going to start after his 4 Month check up... since that got delayed... so did solids...
  • Options
    mmm50mmm50 member
    We had our four-month appointment last Friday and the doc said to wait.  She said she wants to see head control (which Maggie has in spades), interest (which she doesn't), and no tongue thrust (which she's almost lost).  She also wants us to start with rice cereal, which I'm not excited about, but we'll at least go with a whole grain one (Earth's Best) instead of plain white.
    I was not interested in rice cereal either, but our pedi said to try it first, even if it is just for a week before we switch to oatmeal.   We also plan on using Earth's Best.  I figure we can use the rest of the box for thickening homemade purees or something.  
  • Options
    mmm50 said:

We still EBF and are waiting until 6 months.  I have tried giving him breastmilk with a spoon a couple times and he seemed to get the hang of it.  

Same here, he's good with the spoon itself but the milk always trickles back out again.

• Options
    88sharonlee88sharonlee member
    edited March 2014
    LO will be 4 months on the 25th so nope not even thinking about starting yet!

I'm kind of glad my LO is on the young side of this board so I can learn what's coming up and get input before I hit those milestones.

I'm in no rush because I feel like I still have so much to do to educate myself and come up with a game plan before we make any attempts.

Also it hasn't even been 3 weeks since I've been back to work and LO has started daycare, that's enough change for now, I need to settle into this new routine before we go changing things up!

ETA: damn autocorrect!
  • Options
    We were assuming we would start with rice cereal and then move to purees, but having read a little, now I'm not so sure.

We have some time because at 18 weeks LO has shown absolutely no interest in anything we're eating and isn't sitting unassisted yet.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as @88sharonlee‌, L won't be 4 months until the 25th and I also like that she is on the young side of the board so I can see what's next before it gets here. :) L is still EBF. She is working on sitting up and watches DH and I when we eat, but I will probably still hold off on solids until she is 6months.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My boys are 5 1/2 months. We started solids this past weekend. We are doing BLW. They had avocado first. And have now moved onto banana. Banana is a big hit. I left the peel partially on tonight so it was easier to hold.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Options
    Im waiting till 6mo. I tried with my son when he was 4mo and wasnt ready till 6mo and now with my daughter I've decided to wait
  • Options
    We haven't started and we wont start before 6 months.  It is messy, and not really any fun and I'm in no rush to start.  Plus he isn't sitting on his own yet so we will wait.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    htk1113htk1113 member
    edited April 2014
    My LO is a breastmilk only little guy.  

We're leaning towards BLW.  Our son is 19 weeks and we got the okay from our pedi as he should good head control and is able to sit without much assistance. We started with a banana this past weekend.  I mashed a bit between my fingers and put a little in his mouth.  He gave such a funny face at first but was interested in going back for more.  Like jocie2581, I left the peel on so he could hold it better.  He put it in his mouth and sucked/gummed it a little although, he preferred if I held it for him.  The next day he didn't make any funny faces and seemed to know what to do.  As soon as I put some mashed banana on my finger and he smelled it he leaned in to put it in his mouth.  

I don't know why, I just didn't want to start with cereal, sounded so bland.  My hubby and I are foodies and want our baby to an adventurous eater.  Pedi said traditionally people start with rice cereal but it's not really necessary to do so.  He suggested waiting on dairy and nuts until baby was older and of course, no honey until 1 year  but gave the go ahead on pretty much everything else.

We're not in any rush so, we're going to let him try things as we go along.  I suppose we'll give lo something new to try in the next few days.  
  • Options
    LO is 4 1/2 months and we tried green beans last night. Pedi said at his four month appointment that he was ready and I could try whenever. He ate three good spoon fulls and I thought that was enough to start. We kept lowering his eye brows while chewing like "what is this stuff???" So cute!
  • Options
    I asked the pediatrician when's the latest we could start solids. She recommended infant cereal at 6 months for the iron. I'm not excited. DD2 didn't like solids until we left behind pureed veggies and moved onto steamed veggies. 
  • Options
    We had our 4 month appt 2weeks ago and doc said anytime between now and 6 months but before her appointment. I wanted to cry. She's growing so fast. She's had excellent head control from 2 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"