Breastfeeding
Options

Hope for my inverted nipple?

I have one inverted nipple. DS is 7 days old at this point. If we work at latching on it for 15 minutes or so, he can eventually work it out and latch. By then we're both hot , tired, and grumpy. I've been trying a hand pump now to pull it out before he feeds on it. That helps a little. He hates the nipple shield and doesn't get enough milk with it so he quits. So my question is - anyone have inverted nipples and have success stories of them eventually staying out instead of softening and going back in after each feeding?

Re: Hope for my inverted nipple?

• Options
    My left side is inverted and I had a hard time. I used a manual pump for a few days until milk came out. Unfortunately DD preferred the right side since it was producing more. But still, I offered the inverted side.
  • Options
    I did use the nipple shield for a few months, but then my nipples started to come out on their own sometimes, or if not, DS got very good at pulling them out. Be patient -- your body and your baby will figure it out, but I'll be honest, it might be rough for a while. It was really hard for me for at least a few weeks, if not months, but then it just became the easiest thing ever, and I'm still nursing a 16-month-old (never thought I'd nurse past a year). You can do it!

Also, go see an IBCLC. I saw one once or twice a week for a couple of months, and she was SO instrumental in helping me to keep going! They know so much, and it's so helpful to have an expert there to watch what you're doing and correct anything that might not be perfect. Mine was also a bit of a therapist, or at least a cheerleader, which I definitely needed.

GOOD LUCK!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the hope and advice ladies. I hope I can stick with it until it's resolved.
  • Options
    Both of mine are inverted. Made it tough in the beginning but we are successful! I used the medela inverted nipple soft shells between feeding and it helped! I didn't have to use a nipple shield after using those. After a couple weeks of using them I didn't need to anymore. That's what I would recommend. They work!
  • Options
    @agfox92‌ - thank you for giving me hope!
  • Options
    I have (had?) one inverted and one flat. I am successfully EMF my almost 7 month old. I used nipple shields and the lansinoh nipple everter. Worked wonders!

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    @KaramelSutra‌ -- how long did it take for you to not need to use those things anymore?
  • Options
    Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited March 2014
    I also rec the medela shells. I am now expecting #3 and my nipples aren't even really inverted anymore. It's like all those months/years of nursing and pumping "fixed" them.
  • Options
    Get nipple shells! A lactation nurse had me use them to pull my inverted nipples out and they did!
  • Options
    Was off by 6 weeks. My LC S
    says 6 weeks is the magic mark

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • Options
    The nipple shells are ordered - both in Medela and Avent. Any preferred brand? How'd you handle the rawness? I dread latching him on every time (even the normal nipple).
  • Options
    @Soon2BMrsN‌ , @KaramelSutra‌ , and @nicolen11‌ , did you sleep with the nipple shells on? Leave them on all the time? Our hardest feeds are the nighttime ones since I'm fuller and it's been longer since he nursed so my nipple had a chance to soften a lot. Will it be okay to sleep with them?
  • Options
    @Soon2BMrsN‌ , @KaramelSutra‌ , and @nicolen11‌ , did you sleep with the nipple shells on? Leave them on all the time? Our hardest feeds are the nighttime ones since I'm fuller and it's been longer since he nursed so my nipple had a chance to soften a lot. Will it be okay to sleep with them?

I never slept in them. Not telling you to spend more money that you probably already have, but a small manual pump would also work to draw the nipple out a bit before feeding, especially if you're overly full.
  • Options
    I have also used a Lansinoh nipple extractor to help draw out my nipples.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    I slept with mine on. The worst part of the medela ones (never used the avent ones) was that in the early stages of engorgement they filled with milk and sometimes spilt out the top vent holes. This happened especially when I went over to pick stuff up. I did wear breast pads over them which helped some but not always.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"