TTC After a Loss

~~~ TTCAL Newbie Checkin (Tuesday, March 18) ~~~

Welcome to TTC After Loss. I'm so sorry for your loss but am happy you have found us. ((hugs)) This board is full of brilliant and kind women who have experienced the hardship of losing that which is most precious, and I hope you find great comfort and support here in your journey to your rainbow baby!

For those of you so new you don't know the routine, this is a checkin for newer members of the TTCAL Board. My board name is gscoville, but you can just call me G or GS if you prefer something shorter. Please feel free to use this space to ask those "newbie" questions that feel intimidating to ask on the main board, I will try my best to get you an answer.

**Please don't feel that you have to provide individual feedback to all of the posters ahead of you, many do and it's great, but it's most definitely not required to be a part of this checkin - I'd just hate to think people might feel intimidated and not post because of this, all posts and responses are welcomed!

Please take the time to read the TTCAL blog to answer any questions you may have regarding our board etiquette, TTC, miscarriage & loss, and much more: https://www.ttcalblog.blogspot.com/ If you are a checkin regular and get a BFP, please PM me so that I can add it to the weekly checkin with a warning for other members.

Finally, if you haven't done so, please post your introduction on the main board including your story.

Weekly Update:  How are you doing?  Post an update including any news, thoughts, or questions - let me know how things are going for you!

MoreThanSparrows08:  I know you’re benched for now, but it’s good to see your chart is looking good with a clear temp shift at O!

squeakyfrog15:  Have you heard back yet with regards to your hormone tests?  Good to hear that your thyroid isn’t a concern!

Belle3184:  ((hugs)) for passing your EDD this weekend, I hope you kept busy and got through it alright. 

Birch113:  Good luck at your SIS today, I hope all goes smoothly!  ((hugs))

jbiben:  I’m sorry to hear about the spotting, but as a perpetual spotter myself I want to caution you against assuming there’s a problem because of it.  Not that spotting can’t be indicative of something, but it can also be nothing.  Have you had your progesterone checked with 7 DPO bloodwork?  On unmedicated cycles I start spotting at 1 DPO, but my tested progesterone levels are fantastic – progesterone deficiency isn’t always the cause of spotting, so just taking it because you spot isn’t necessarily the best idea. 

Buttercup509:  Please don’t think you have to rush into TTC again before you’re truly ready – it takes time to heal from a loss, both emotionally and physically.  You’re still young and have lots of time, even the age of 35 that is quoted as older for TTC is still very arbitrary, it’s not as if our reproductive systems shut down on our 35th birthday.  Take whatever time you need to ensure you’re ready when you do start to TTC again. ((hugs))

kaynix21:  Yay for a good SIS and a disappeared cyst!

KristinDMiller:  I would just like to say that you might want to change your username, it’s really inadvisable to have full first and last name as your screen name (SN) on any public site, and you even have a middle initial in there for added risk.  The Bump Gods are sometimes not great at responding to name changes, so given your very short time and posting history on TB you might just opt to close this account and create a new one with a less identifiable SN. 

EmilyB15:  I hope all is well as you wait to resume treatments in April.  In the future, just be careful about mention of living children on TTCAL, so many women here are still struggling and waiting for their first and so board etiquette is to not mention them at all, or provide a warning if you feel you must mention them.  The Newbie blog (linked to in my siggy) provides very clear guidelines about this issue, we appreciate all efforts to keep this board as a safe place for all of our members.

polevaultRN:  Any signs of AF so far?  Hopefully weaning at the end of the month will help to even out your cycles.

Quote of the Week: 

Question of the Week:  What are you most looking forward to with the arrival of spring?  For me, it’s BBQing, I love doing it and will BBQ at least 2-3 times a week once the weather gets really nice. 

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

Re: ~~~ TTCAL Newbie Checkin (Tuesday, March 18) ~~~

• gscovillegscoville member
    edited March 2014
    Birch113 said:

Thanks for the check in, @gscoville. How are you? Love that quote.

I just got back from my SIS a little while ago. My doctor ruled out a septate uterus, and there were no other structural abnormalities. Yay! They scanned my ovaries externally (not sure if that usually happens with SIS) and they looked normal, also. I feel so relieved, but also a little disappointed that there is still no reason for my mc, though. I hope that doesn't sound crazy. I know most of us never get a reason. I am very excited that we are officially green lighted to TTC this cycle. I haven't started charting yet, but I did start OPK yesterday, hoping we'd be green lighted.

Question of the Week:  What are you most looking forward to with the arrival of spring? 

It's a toss up between cute ballet flats and open windows with warm breezes!

Sorry, TB is being very cranky today and my replies are either not going through, or going through wonky!

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Birch113 said:

Thanks for the check in, @gscoville. How are you? Love that quote.

I just got back from my SIS a little while ago. My doctor ruled out a septate uterus, and there were no other structural abnormalities. Yay! They scanned my ovaries externally (not sure if that usually happens with SIS) and they looked normal, also. I feel so relieved, but also a little disappointed that there is still no reason for my mc, though. I hope that doesn't sound crazy. I know most of us never get a reason. I am very excited that we are officially green lighted to TTC this cycle. I haven't started charting yet, but I did start OPK yesterday, hoping we'd be green lighted.

Question of the Week:  What are you most looking forward to with the arrival of spring? 

It's a toss up between cute ballet flats and open windows with warm breezes!

I'm glad all looks good after your SIS.  I understand wishing to know a reason or find something wrong in order to be able to 'fix it', but the way I look at things, some things just are never fixable no matter what you do, whereas if if things are just a fluke or bad luck, you have better odds of hitting the jackpot eventually.  ((hugs)) and I'm glad you're off the bench now!

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • @gscoville I did hear back! Apparently everything is normal except my vitamin D levels, which were like nonexistent! So I am now on vit D! Other than that nothing going too much this next week! 

I'm ready for vacation! Maybe flipflops!
    Married DH 1/5/13
    BFP #1 4/29/13 Chemical Pregnancy 5/6/13
    BFP #2 7/30/13 EDD 4/12/14
    MMC@9w (found out at 10w) 9/15/13
    D&C 9/16/13
    Started trying again 2/17/14
    BFP #3 4/19/14 Chemical Pregnancy 4/21/14
    BFP #4 8/18/14 EDD 4/25/15
    Began Lovenox 8/18/14
    Heterotopic Pregnancy- Interuterine MMC@6w 8/28/14 
    Found Ectopic 9/16/14 Lost Right Tube
    BFP#5 11/8/14 EDD 7/21/15 Ovulated from Right Ovary!

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @gscoville‌ thanks so much for the check-in!

MoreThanSparrows08:  I know you’re benched for now, but it’s good to see your chart is looking good with a clear temp shift at O!

It's very nice to see that my body knows what its supposed to be doing, and is doing it! I'm really hoping we can start trying sooner rather than later... I've never been good at waiting for anything... lol

*****Friend's Loss Mentioned*****

I would like to request thoughts and prayers for a good friend of mine who I just lost her 1st pregnancy. I would guess around 7 weeks or so. They just got married, and are both young. They announced the day they found out, so now they're having to untell everyone. They have a great support system, but it breaks my heart that they're having to go through this. I sent a private messageon facebook, and will be sending a card in the mail tomorrow - any suggestions on what else I could do for them?

Thanks in advance!
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
      DS #1 born 8/3/06, DS #2 born 10/2/08
    TTC since 8/13 BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/3/14
    US 12/9 found 2 Gestational Sacs, MC 12/10/13 6w3d
    BFP #4 5/15/14, EDD: 1/25/14, HB 6/4/14 Movement 8/13/14
    All Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
  • @gscoville I did hear back! Apparently everything is normal except my vitamin D levels, which were like nonexistent! So I am now on vit D! Other than that nothing going too much this next week! 

Great news, I'm glad you heard back so quick!

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• @gscoville‌ thanks so much for the check-in! MoreThanSparrows08:  I know you’re benched for now, but it’s good to see your chart is looking good with a clear temp shift at O! It's very nice to see that my body knows what its supposed to be doing, and is doing it! I'm really hoping we can start trying sooner rather than later... I've never been good at waiting for anything... lol *****Friend's Loss Mentioned***** I would like to request thoughts and prayers for a good friend of mine who I just lost her 1st pregnancy. I would guess around 7 weeks or so. They just got married, and are both young. They announced the day they found out, so now they're having to untell everyone. They have a great support system, but it breaks my heart that they're having to go through this. I sent a private messageon facebook, and will be sending a card in the mail tomorrow - any suggestions on what else I could do for them? Thanks in advance!
    I'm sorry about your friend, it sounds like you're being a great support for her.  I think your message on FB and card are perfect, you're letting her know you're thinking of her without being pushy or prying.  You could ask her if there's anything she needs from you, and let her come to you if she needs to, but I don't think you have to do anything more - just knowing you're available will likely be a great comfort for her.

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• gscoville said:
    @gscoville I did hear back! Apparently everything is normal except my vitamin D levels, which were like nonexistent! So I am now on vit D! Other than that nothing going too much this next week! 

Great news, I'm glad you heard back so quick!
    Me too! I hope you have had a great week!
    Married DH 1/5/13
    BFP #1 4/29/13 Chemical Pregnancy 5/6/13
    BFP #2 7/30/13 EDD 4/12/14
    MMC@9w (found out at 10w) 9/15/13
    D&C 9/16/13
    Started trying again 2/17/14
    BFP #3 4/19/14 Chemical Pregnancy 4/21/14
    BFP #4 8/18/14 EDD 4/25/15
    Began Lovenox 8/18/14
    Heterotopic Pregnancy- Interuterine MMC@6w 8/28/14 
    Found Ectopic 9/16/14 Lost Right Tube
    BFP#5 11/8/14 EDD 7/21/15 Ovulated from Right Ovary!

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hey GS, thanks for running the check in!

Belle3184: ((hugs)) for passing your EDD this weekend, I hope you kept busy and got through it alright.

Thank you. And you were absolutely right when you said the anticipation and dread would be the worst part, it was. I'm incredibly relieved that it is over. I'm feeling much better now that I'm past it.

I think this will be my last check in. I'm feeling pretty at home on the board. Thanks so much GS !
  • Belle3184 said:
    Hey GS, thanks for running the check in! Belle3184: ((hugs)) for passing your EDD this weekend, I hope you kept busy and got through it alright. Thank you. And you were absolutely right when you said the anticipation and dread would be the worst part, it was. I'm incredibly relieved that it is over. I'm feeling much better now that I'm past it. I think this will be my last check in. I'm feeling pretty at home on the board. Thanks so much GS !
    I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you expected, and am happy you find yourself comfortable enough to move on from the checkin - ((hugs)) and I'll see you around the board!

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• AggieBeth06AggieBeth06 member
    edited March 2014
    Ticker warning *** Prior pregnancies mentioned

Hi, I'm Beth and I intro'ed over the weekend. I'm still physically recovering and I'm frustrated because I'm ready to move forward but can't yet. My body isn't ready.

Quick facts:
    I'm 30
    TTC #2, possibly
    Surprise BFP in February
    Hospitalized for 4 days in agonizing back pain; couldn't walk
    Saw HB
    No HB 2 weeks later
    D&C last Friday with complications (multiple tears in cervix, dx with retroflexed ute during procedure; procedure took 1.5 hrs and she sent me home to finish miscarrying)
    My 3 yo DS was born 6 weeks early due to HELLP - had an emergency c/s under general anesthesia
    Dx with Hashimoto's thyroiditis last year

Upcoming appointments:
    PT (for back) tomorrow an 2x next week before reevaluating
    PCP appointment tomorrow, get thyroid b/w
    OB + u/s Thursday
    Endochrinologist next week

Goals:
    Reabsorb or pass remaining tissue
    Heal cervix
    Continue researching retroflexed uterus condition
    Pursue non invasive options for correcting uterus which may include massage therapy and physical therapy
    Consult with second OB and an MFM on uterine position, cervix damage and HELLP concerns

Questions:
    Is it correct to post ticker warnings on this board?
    How difficult is it usually to get a referral to a MFM?
    Any good resources for researching uterine conditions?

QOTW - I don't want to be negative, but summer means 100*+ heat, sweltering humidity, mosquitos and snakes where I'm from. I guess what I will look forward to the most is the relief you get from ice cream or cold sweet tea. It also means you're THAT much closer to football season. :)

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• ***siggy warning--DS mentioned***

Hey GS!
    Still no AF...tomorrow will be 7 weeks since the m/c. Just hoping that weaning DS will jump start my cycle ;)

QOTW: I'm most looking forward to spending lots of time at the beach!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 8.6.2011 EDD 4.7.2012 DS1 born 3.30.2012

BFP #2 1.21.2014 EDD 10.1.2014 natural m/c 1.30.2014
    BFP #3 4.30.2014 EDD 1.10.2015 DS2 born 12.31.2014
    imageimageimage

• gscovillegscoville member
    edited March 2014
    Ticker warning *** Prior pregnancies mentioned Hi, I'm Beth and I intro'ed over the weekend. I'm still physically recovering and I'm frustrated because I'm ready to move forward but can't yet. My body isn't ready. Quick facts: I'm 30 TTC #2, possibly Surprise BFP in February Hospitalized for 4 days in agonizing back pain; couldn't walk Saw HB No HB 2 weeks later D&C last Friday with complications (multiple tears in cervix, dx with retroflexed ute during procedure; procedure took 1.5 hrs and she sent me home to finish miscarrying) My 3 yo DS was born 6 weeks early due to HELLP - had an emergency c/s under general anesthesia Dx with Hashimoto's thyroiditis last year Upcoming appointments: PT (for back) tomorrow an 2x next week before reevaluating PCP appointment tomorrow, get thyroid b/w OB + u/s Thursday Endochrinologist next week Goals: Reabsorb or pass remaining tissue Heal cervix Continue researching retroflexed uterus condition Pursue non invasive options for correcting uterus which may include massage therapy and physical therapy Consult with second OB and an MFM on uterine position, cervix damage and HELLP concerns Questions: Is it correct to post ticker warnings on this board? How difficult is it usually to get a referral to a MFM? Any good resources for researching uterine conditions? QOTW - I don't want to be negative, but summer means 100*+ heat, sweltering humidity, mosquitos and snakes where I'm from. I guess what I will look forward to the most is the relief you get from ice cream or cold sweet tea. It also means you're THAT much closer to football season. :)

Welcome to the checkin ((hugs)) Generally small non-graphical tickers don't need warnings, but if they have pics of babies on them as yours does, then a warning would be best. Warnings also apply to any badges or pictures that reference living babies or children, breastfeeding, pregnancy, etc. We try to keep mention of kids as well as graphic or in-your-face references to living children to a minimum on this board, they can be hurtful, especially to women who are struggling and don't yet have even their first baby to take home.

Unfortunately I can't answer your MFM or uterine condition resources questions.

I don't like the sweltering heat of summer either, that's why I asked about and prefer spring, I love the cooler days, new leaves on the trees, and the return of the Canada Geese. :)

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• ***siggy warning--DS mentioned***

Hey GS!
    Still no AF...tomorrow will be 7 weeks since the m/c. Just hoping that weaning DS will jump start my cycle ;)

QOTW: I'm most looking forward to spending lots of time at the beach!
    Sorry AF is still holding off, that's normal post-loss anyways, but I can only imagine that the confusing hormonal message of BFing will help in some way.

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Hi GS! Thanks for the check in! How are you?

Buttercup509:  Please don’t think you have to rush into TTC again before you’re truly ready – it takes time to heal from a loss, both emotionally and physically.  You’re still young and have lots of time, even the age of 35 that is quoted as older for TTC is still very arbitrary, it’s not as if our reproductive systems shut down on our 35th birthday.  Take whatever time you need to ensure you’re ready when you do start to TTC again. ((hugs))

Thanks for the hugs and advice. The rational part of me knows that my reproductive system doesn't stop working at 35, but the irrational side keeps whispering in my ear. I'm feeling better about things this week. Either AF arrived or I have some retained tissue. I'm going to my OB on Thursday for another blood draw to check Hcg. I will ask about it when I'm there. It was only 29 days post D&C, and it hasn't really been normal. Heavy one day and spotting the next. On a happier note, we're going to visit my cousin this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. We always have fun with her and her husband.

Question of the Week:  What are you most looking forward to with the arrival of spring?  

I love being able to cook and eat outside. I really enjoy being outside and active when the weather is nice. I wish spring lasted longer here. We usually go straight to summer.

TTC since May 2013
    BFP #1 11/22/13 EDD 7/31/14
    MMC 13 weeks - discovered 2/13/14 at 16 weeks - Trisomy 13 - D&C 2/14/14
    BFP #2 10/9/14 EDD 6/22/15
    ~Everyone is welcome~
  • Hi everyone.  I had a natural m/c on 3/3/14 at 7 weeks.  I've been charting my bbt again waiting for the return of O.  I go to the ob tomorrow for follow up blood work to make sure my levels are returning to normal.  DH and I have decided to TTC again as soon as we can, hoping for good news after my appt. tomorrow.

What am I looking forward to about Spring? 

Warmer weather! Gardening, playing tennis, and just enjoying being outside in general.
    2/10/14 BFP- EDD 10/20/14- M/C 3/3/14

• Hi GS! Thanks for the check in! How are you?

Buttercup509:  Please don’t think you have to rush into TTC again before you’re truly ready – it takes time to heal from a loss, both emotionally and physically.  You’re still young and have lots of time, even the age of 35 that is quoted as older for TTC is still very arbitrary, it’s not as if our reproductive systems shut down on our 35th birthday.  Take whatever time you need to ensure you’re ready when you do start to TTC again. ((hugs))

Thanks for the hugs and advice. The rational part of me knows that my reproductive system doesn't stop working at 35, but the irrational side keeps whispering in my ear. I'm feeling better about things this week. Either AF arrived or I have some retained tissue. I'm going to my OB on Thursday for another blood draw to check Hcg. I will ask about it when I'm there. It was only 29 days post D&C, and it hasn't really been normal. Heavy one day and spotting the next. On a happier note, we're going to visit my cousin this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. We always have fun with her and her husband.

Question of the Week:  What are you most looking forward to with the arrival of spring?  

I love being able to cook and eat outside. I really enjoy being outside and active when the weather is nice. I wish spring lasted longer here. We usually go straight to summer.
    It's pretty normal for bleeding/AF after a loss to be wonky, many women report having it happen in fits and starts or just be heavier or lighter, longer or shorter, etc.  Basically, anything goes.  Good luck with your next beta draw!

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Hi everyone.  I had a natural m/c on 3/3/14 at 7 weeks.  I've been charting my bbt again waiting for the return of O.  I go to the ob tomorrow for follow up blood work to make sure my levels are returning to normal.  DH and I have decided to TTC again as soon as we can, hoping for good news after my appt. tomorrow.

What am I looking forward to about Spring? 

Warmer weather! Gardening, playing tennis, and just enjoying being outside in general.
    Welcome to the checkin ((hugs)) and good luck at your appointment tomorrow.

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• jbiben said:

jbiben: I’m sorry to hear about the spotting, but as a perpetual spotter myself I want to caution you against assuming there’s a problem because of it. Not that spotting can’t be indicative of something, but it can also be nothing. Have you had your progesterone checked with 7 DPO bloodwork? On unmedicated cycles I start spotting at 1 DPO, but my tested progesterone levels are fantastic – progesterone deficiency isn’t always the cause of spotting, so just taking it because you spot isn’t necessarily the best idea.

Hey GS. Thanks for the check in! I love your quote this week especially since it’s a nasty rainy day here. Maybe I should put in some headphones and go dance around! I haven’t had my progesterone checked since the loss but before my BFP I was prescribed Clomid to start the next cycle (which I never started) due to low progesterone. Both times I had my progesterone checked before they prescribed the clomid I was low at CD 21 so they questioned whether I was ovulating. The second blood test happened to be when I was actually KU but didn’t know it yet and the levels were still only 7.6.
    After the spotting last cycle, I called my doctor to ask if I could come in for a progesterone test to see if that could be the reason why I’m spotting but they said they won’t see me until it has happened more than one cycle post loss so we will see what happens this month. I was really down last week after AF showed and I think I just needed something to blame so I picked progesterone. Maybe I’m in the perpetual spotting club with you and that’s just the way my body does it. I should be about a week out from O so we’ve started to HIO in anticipation.

QOTW – I don’t actually believe that spring or summer is coming. More snow in the 10 day forecast for us. I’m most looking forward to flip flops, BBQ, and walking my dog without having to bundle up.
    It sounds like you do have low progesterone levels, but I have to admit I get really concerned when a supposed fertility expert carries out CD21 testing, because that assumes ovulation on CD14 and most women don't actually ovulate on CD14.  A good RE will do 7 DPO testing, not CD21, because it really should be done 7 days after O, not just on CD21.  You could very well have O'd later than CD14, making CD21 results look off or low - given your Feb. cycle where you O'd on CD18, it's likely to assume you also O'd later on the cycles you were tested on and that would give you a false low progesterone level as you'd be testing at only 3 DPO instead of 7 DPO. 

I would highly recommend checking with your doctor about testing progesterone again but on 7 DPO based on your charting showing when you've ovulated.  If your doctor still insists on testing at CD21 and doesn't acknowledge that testing at 7 DPO is preferable and would be more accurate, I'd actually really be concerned by the fact that you're with someone who doesn't know the difference.  It's a basic tenet of proper fertility care that ovulation doesn't always happen on the average of CD14, a good fertility specialist should know this and test accordingly.

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• jbiben said:
    gscoville Thanks for the response! I was actually pretty concerned about their prescribing me clomid before. I didn't really want to take it and was relieved when I got my BFP. I was actually ovulating around CD20 or even CD21 before the loss and they were testing on CD 21. They also wouldn't test my progesterone after my BFP even though I requested it a couple of times instead they just prescribed supplements saying it couldn't hurt. Now they won't have me come in until a second wonky cycle. I've been shopping around for another practice but it's so tough in a big city. Every recommendation I've had has good reviews but also some pretty terrible ones. This practice is at a top rated hospital so I was going to try to stick it out and ask to see a different doctor this time.  
    Ah, gotcha - sorry to hear that concerns actually run deeper!  ((hugs))  Hopefully they either get their shit together for you, or you find someone better.

imageimage

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"