Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Preschool options...

I know it is a little early, but I am just starting to look around at the preschool options in our area. Our daughter already knows all the letters in the alphabet, colors, and can count to 16. She is very curious and really likes to learn.  I think she might enjoy a 3 year old program if I can find one. Right now she goes to an in-home daycare 2.5 days a week and then is home with me the rest of the week. (I work from home.)

Just wondering on the different teaching methods.I saw there is a montessori preschool in my area that would take her at 3...just wondering if anyone had experience with that teaching method. Any pros or cons?

Anything I should be looking for when I look at preschools? I know this isn't like sending her off to college or anything...want it to be fun but also prepare her for kindergarten. I am still doing my research and we would go and visit the schools, find out about tuition, etc.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
image"Lilypie">

Re: Preschool options...

• Options
    We go with a church based preschool that offers a curriculum (no clue what it's called).  DS2 started going 2 mornings a week for 3 hours at 1.5.  He will go next year 2 days a week but the days are slightly longer (9-2:15 instead of 9-12).  Most preschools in our area and the area that we're moving to this summer hold preschool registration starting in February so you may want to call around.  Depending on her age, you may want to get her on a waiting list or enrolled if you're interested!
  • Options
    My son started preschool at 2.  We did a lot of research into the area preschools before he started.  His program is Reggio Emilia and while I have nothing to compare it to, I really like it.   It's based on the principles of "respect, responsibility, and community" and has a self-guided curriculum. 

Special things about our preschool I like:
    1) No pressure on the kids.  They don't require potty training and believe each child develops at their own pace. That's a little different than a lot of preschools in our area.
    2) Weekly art classes, music classes, and trips to the school library.
    3) Weekly emails home detailing everything they did over the week, including lyrics to the songs they sung (which is nice because my kid usually sings them and we have no idea what he's singing)
    4) Encourages responsibility.  So when the kids come in from outdoor play to "quiet indoor play" they know to take off their jackets and put them in their cubbies themselves.  They get to pick a number the teacher "counts to" and after that they all help clean up the toys.
    5) Parent involvement.  At various times, the parents of students come in and help with the curriculum.  So "O's dad" came in and played guitar for the children.  "Dr. Rebecca" came in and did a teddy-bear health clinic when they were learning about germs.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD's goes to church-based daycare that uses A Beka curriculum. We haven't had any problems with it and feel she has thrived in her environment.
  • Options
    My son goes to a Primrose school. He absolutely loves it. Healthy meals, character education, a garden, theme-based learning, and a professional, caring staff. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"