Military Families
Options

Naval Station Mayport

My DH is prior enlisted with the Air Force, and has been with the National Guard for 2 years now. Last week he commissioned into the Navy and our first duty station is NS Mayport. I did a search of this board and it's been a few years since this area was discussed.

We're PCSing to NS Mayport in May. Looking for recommendations on where we should focus our home search as well as preschools, childcare and any other pertinent information about that area and the base. I heard they have a really nice fitness center - does anyone use it? Do you know if they provide childcare?

Any helpful tips as we make this transition would be awesome - thanks!
imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Naval Station Mayport

• Options
    llacos2llacos2 member
    edited March 2014
    My husband was stationed at NS Mayport for 3 years - we just moved away last summer & I miss the area! We did not live on base - we lived about 15 min away in Jacksonville in an apartment complex called Wynnfield Lakes which is near the corner of Kernan Blvd & Atlantic Blvd. There are lots of neighborhoods up & down Kernan as well as some schools. We really loved that area as it was close enough to base for a short commute, but yet at the end of the day, DH enjoyed being able to leave his ship behind & come home to escape it all.

We're currently expecting our first child, so unfortunately I don't have much info regarding schools, daycares, etc., but there is lots to do in & around Jacksonville and we did enjoy our time there :)

The base itself isn't too big, but I've heard the recent gym renovations were really nice. I never got to see it completed though. Also, there is beach access on base which I really loved - I usually went there rather than the public beaches in Jacksonville b/c it was usually much less crowded. The commissary is alright. It's located just outside the gates. It's not that big & it's old, but it does the trick.

I wasn't a fan at all of the clinic on base. Going there felt like I was being just herded along & my sickness wasn't properly treated. Ultimately that made me decide to switch to TriCare Standard so I could just choose my own doctor in town. Their facility is small & if you are having a baby you will have to go to NAS Jacksonville to deliver there - it's about 45 min away from NS Mayport.

Not sure what faith you may be, or if you attend church, but we fell in love with a place called Christ's Church. It's a large non-denominational church - they do lots of community outreach, have Bible studies & community groups, childcare during services, and also have a school. They are also very supportive of the military families within the community - I was very touched when the began a military prayer wall while we were there. Not trying to push any sort of faith or anything on you :) just suggesting it if you're interested.

I hope that was helpful! I've actually never posted on the bump before, but when I saw your post I was very compelled to respond :) I remember getting ready to PCS there too & I wish I had been able to reach out to someone for more information at the time. I hope the move goes smoothly for y'all & I hope you enjoy your time there! Definitely be sure to take advantage of everything there is to do in nearby cities like St. Augustine, Orlando, & Savannah. Be sure to visit the MWR office on base - they have lots of great ticket deals there for all of the nearby attractions! :)
  • Options
    I love zip code 32224. Great area, safe, close to a lot of things. My sister likes the goddard school for preschool. In Florida they have free vpk. Officer housing is nice and some right on the beach but the wait is long. The fort Caroline area is also nice

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband is stationed at NASJAX. We live out in St. Augustine. There are two neighbors on our street that are stationed at Mayport. If he doesn't mind the commute, St. Johns County is one of the top counties for schools.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"