July 2013 Moms
Options

The new CIO: teaching baby NO

Sully is all over the place now. He is getting into things he shouldn't. We are in the process of baby proofing ASAP, but in reality we can't cover everything. I also don't want a child I can't take places without babyproofing. I want him learn (eventually) not to touch things. 

His new fascination is the TV stand and all the gadgets under it. We plan to wall mount our TV this week, but we can't wall mount ALL the boxes on the stand. We've started telling him no, then moving him away from the stand and putting him back by his toys. He promptly crawls right back to the stand and grabbing stuff. My mom suggested smacking his hand, but DH and I agree he is too young. This poses the question, though, how old is old enough? I can't imagine myself ever being ready to discipline this cute kid. :(

Re: The new CIO: teaching baby NO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lizabethann06 are you anti-spanking altogether? 
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Options
    PS I'm shocked that your mom would suggest smacking an infants hand @-)
    I don't think she meant a hard smack, and I also think she sees him as "older" than he really is since he is so mobile? She mostly sees him via photos and Facetime. She is on the other side of the country so it isn't likely she'll be spending any unsupervised time with him anytime soon. 
  • Options
    mimi4347 said:
    @lizabethann06 are you anti-spanking altogether? 
    I am scared to answer this so I'm not going to lol.

I will say this, though. I would never smack the hand of an infant, that's not cool. 

@ChrissieMeas I'm usually always mobile but am on my computer and seeing siggy pics for the first time in forever. Love his jammies. Jack had similar ones, it makes me nostalgic for my squishly little guy who is now in size 4T and too big for footsie pajamas  :((
    See I was afraid this debate might surface on my post! 

@lizabethann06 thanks! My mom picked them up at a secondhand store since she knows I love giraffes. He's not too old for footsie PJs, they make them all the way up to adult sizes! ;)
  • Options
    We are telling him "no" in a stern voice an redirecting him to his toys or another activity. It isn't working yet, because he keeps going back to what he was told no for, but oh well :)
  • Options
    giraffeluvspigiraffeluvspi member
    edited March 2014
    NKaeding said: mimi4347 said: @ChrissieMeas I'm not trying to start any trouble! I just haven't really looked into pros and cons beyond my personal experience and DH's and I thought @lizabethann06 would probably have some good info on it. 
    FTR, the mimi household's personal experience is this: DH was spanked a lot. He was a bad kid. I was only spanked once ever and I never needed it again  O:-) We were both the "good" kids and both of our sisters were the "bad" kids. 
    We joke that we hope Ellie is like mommy/daddy and not her aunts. 
    _________
    ETA: Quote fail

I love my sister, but if Sully is like her I'm in for even more trouble than if he is like DH. They are both Leo's...  :-S
  • Options

We have begun using firm a "No". I don't believe she quite understands the word but she definitely notices the change in our tone of voice.

@mimi4347 and @chrissieMeas Our house is the same way. Though I would personally consider DH's experience to more of physical abuse. This is a topic (discipline) that we spoke about a lot prior to having Allison. His life experiences had made him more ap to turn to spanking and other anger reactions and we had to be on the same page prior to having children.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mamasighs said:
    I'm very anti spanking. As a child that was spanked, bare bottom with hands, switches and a belt - and I was still "bad". And told so repeatedly. Not surprisingly I've had some issues I don't want to bestow upon my own children.
    I also think there's an appropriate way to do it and an inappropriate way to do it - switches and belts are not appropriate IMO, nor is spanking at too young an age or being verbally destructive instead of constructive. 

I absolutely understand why some people choose to stay far, far away from spanking, but I do think it can be used appropriately and effectively in some cases and I have no problem with that. I don't really know yet how we'll handle it. 
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Options
    Noah knows "No" and he knows what it means and he doesn't like it.. There are things you can't put away case and point, he tries to pry my mole off my chest sometimes and it effen hurt, my hair? yeah that's another fun one but none the less I have started to firmly say no and move his hand from what he shouldn't be touching. He pouts and cries. He has a rebound rate of about 2 seconds, he gets over it and moves on to the next big thing in his world.

We're also trying to teach him to play nice with the fur baby, but he's not into the whole gentle thing. Apparently annoying the poor thing is sooo much more fun (for him anyway).

@-)

imageimage

• Options

mimi4347 said:

@ChrissieMeas I'm not trying to start any trouble! I just haven't really looked into pros and cons beyond my personal experience and DH's and I thought @lizabethann06 would probably have some good info on it. 

FTR, the mimi household's personal experience is this: DH was spanked a lot. He was a bad kid. I was only spanked once ever and I never needed it again O:-)

Haha no worries. You're such a troublemaker. ;)

This sounds exactly like DH and I. I was spanked maybe once. I was so eager to please I hardly ever got into trouble, but DH... lord help me if this kid is like him. He peed on/out of everything and was constantly getting hurt. I already see Sully pushing his limits. 

I just had a thought: positive reinforcement with puffs. The kid would do anything for a damn puff. "Sully, leave it! Crawl to Mama. Good boy! Here's a puff!" :D

The only problem with this is you're teaching him that when he starts playing with the cable box mommy will break out the puffs. I would move the boxes out of reach for a good year or so.

• Options
    Jae also thinks it's hilarious when I tell him no but if I add in the stern voice he cries. He's almost got crawling figured out so I've gotta get baby proofing ASAP. I'm sure the next level of "no" is gonna be hellish.

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

• Options
    We will do a firm 'no' and redirect. When she's older and does something repeatedly after being told no she will get a swat on the hand, this will depend on when she understands cause and effect. I was spanked as a kid, only on the bottom, through clothes and never with anything other than a hand. I can never remember it ever hurting and usually I just felt bad for whatever I had done. DH was from a much stricter upbringing. DD1 has received one spanking but only for running to the road (we live on a busy highway), I find timeouts and talking more effective and will reserve spanking for dangerous situations.
    Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Mamasighs said:

I'm very anti spanking. As a child that was spanked, bare bottom with hands, switches and a belt - and I was still "bad". And told so repeatedly.

Not surprisingly I've had some issues I don't want to bestow upon my own children.

This... I really really don't want to spank, but I'm afraid I will at some point. :(
  • Options

Oh boy. There are much better ways to teach your child limits than smacking. Redirection is key at this point. Your baby is exploring his world and at this age, it's totally normal and natural to be exploring and getting into EVERYTHING.

A few things to keep in mind:

Prevention: if you don't want your baby to grab the remote, don't leave it where he can get it.

Distract and redirect: offer something else instead.

Praise: if wonder of wonders your baby stays away after you redirect, lots of cheers

Choose your battles and BE REALISTIC: our babies are exploring their world. They're infants. This is all very normal. Anyone who tells you otherwise needs some child development classes.

All of this! :-bd

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We just had the spanking debate in our office last Friday.

Without putting in all sort of hypothetical type of situations let me just say that today's youth as in teenagers who have a huge sense of self-entitlement and no respect for teachers, parents, and other authority figures could probably have used a good spanking back in their day.

To be noted there is a difference between spanking and beating.

I was beaten as a child and while I will not beat my child, I will spank if necessary. Though I do believe you get a lot further with almost anyone by going through positive reinforcement and giving love and understanding. 

Keywords:almost anyone

imageimage

• Options
    Re: Spanking . It's only happened to DD once. She darted out in front of a car when I was pregnant at the grocery store. She was nearly street pizza & I pee'd myself (no joke).

She got a firm talking to after a small pop (not hard) to the booty. The car honking at her was more effective. I haven't had any reason since then. That was serious so I felt, at the time, that it was appropriate. She has never done it again.

I would say I am very generally anti-spanking. Time out & removing items/privileges is more Abby's "currency".

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Spanking is honestly one thing I can say I will never do.  I mean that.  I don't need anyone to tell me that I don't know that for sure because I haven't ever been put in that position.  I will never spank my kid, I know that for 100% sure :)
    I feel the same way. I don't think it teaches kids what you think it should. It teaches them to feel bad about themselves. But I think that all forms of punishment do this. I don't want that for my children.
    Wait...so you are against all forms of punishment?  
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    To be clear, I think any form of spanking a child is only a "tap" to get their attention. For example they are about to get into something dangerous and ignore your use of the word "NO", a quick tap on the butt should get their attention.
  • Options
    NKaeding said:
    Spanking is honestly one thing I can say I will never do.  I mean that.  I don't need anyone to tell me that I don't know that for sure because I haven't ever been put in that position.  I will never spank my kid, I know that for 100% sure :)
    I feel the same way. I don't think it teaches kids what you think it should. It teaches them to feel bad about themselves. But I think that all forms of punishment do this. I don't want that for my children.
    Wait...so you are against all forms of punishment?  
    Do you mean all forms of corporal punishment? 

Or maybe she's differentiating punishment from discipline? I'm interested to hear more...
  • Options

I started telling him no a few weeks ago when grabbing my glasses or pulling my hair. Just removed his hand looked serious and said no in a stern voice. He finds it hilarious. :-??

Zoe finds it hilarious as well.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"