October 2014 Moms

What Kind of Diapers Will You Use?

Re: What Kind of Diapers Will You Use?

• We will be doing cloth again, like we did with DS, so we will not have to spend a cent on diapers this time around. Such a cool thought!

I can also answer any questions you have , and the cloth diaper board is awesome.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• LEP424LEP424 member
    edited March 2014
    I'll start with Pampers Swaddlers and then once I see the sensitivity of his/her skin, switch to Target brand. I've had no sensitivity issues with DS and Target, but would rather be safe.
    BFP #1 (m/c at 9 weeks, 11/11) BFP #2 (DS, 12/11/12) BFP #3 (EDD 10/8/14)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Many of you have recommended the cloth diaper board. I guess I suck at searching. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• @TheOtherJacobsons‌ click on "community" and then the tab that says specialty. Cloth diapering in that list.
    Married 6/18/11

• Married 6/18/11

• I cloth diapered my son until right around his 2nd birthday. Honestly, once you get into the groove of things, it becomes second nature.

He's now in disposables while we potty train. I have found that pampers and targets up and up work the best for leaks. Huggies are ok, Luvs are the worst

Monster #1- Hunter Fillmore! 10.1.11
     MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d
    Monsterette #2- EDD  5.9.15

• I'm leaning towards Honest Company. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with them. (Besides their price. I'm less concerned about that.)
  • I have used cloth diapers on my kids for 16 years. So cloth will be used on this baby too. I do keep some Earths Best brand diapers on hand in case we need or want to use them...I like to keep chemicals to a minimum with my kids. 
     Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and Grandma to 1 (so far!) YES we would love to have more! 
    Baby #9- It's a GIRL!!  Born Oct 1st 2014!!

Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus!

• With DS I used pampers because they never leaked. When he got older we did target brand during the day and pampers at night because they kept him dryer and sleeping better.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Yes!!! The announced they would be going through size 5 when DS was still in size 2. We tried Target diapers once and I'll never abandon my Swaddlers again ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For those of you who have memberships to BJs, their Eco brand is great! (The name is completely escaping me) Our son has bad eczema in the winter an we have to use a dye-free brand. I think they run about $.21-$.22 a diaper.

MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d

• Walmart and target brand work just as great as name brand

Same with formula if you go that route.. Same product just rebranded.
  • For those of you considering cloth, I highly recommend fallowing daily deals on zulilly they have had several cloth diapers really cheap the last few weeks!
  • Love love love EB!
  • We love Earths Best. I'm going to try BabyGancics next!
  • SLH1220 said:

For those of you considering cloth, I highly recommend fallowing daily deals on zulilly they have had several cloth diapers really cheap the last few weeks!

I mentioned this a few weeks back. Someone told me they rebrand and sell very cheap cloth diapers. I don't know if it's true. The person was on here I believe also. They knew the cheaper brand they re-branded.

• SLH1220 said:

For those of you considering cloth, I highly recommend fallowing daily deals on zulilly they have had several cloth diapers really cheap the last few weeks!

I mentioned this a few weeks back. Someone told me they rebrand and sell very cheap cloth diapers. I don't know if it's true. The person was on here I believe also. They knew the cheaper brand they re-branded.

Do NOT buy cloth diapers from zulily!!  Most of them are rebranded Alvas. You can buy Alvas brand new for $5 directly from their website.  Note that they do have really long shipping times (like 3w), but the Alvas I had held up better than BG. 

(Personally I prefer Kawaii).

Kinda hard to tell that is what I was trying to say. Someone told me not to buy them that they just rebrand a "cheaper" diaper and sell them for more. It could have been you :)
  • crystal8503crystal8503 member
    edited March 2014
    JessAnnJ said:
    We have been happy with the pampers swaddlers sensitive. The only way I would use cloth is if the new baby had really sensitive skin that reacted to the diapers. Cloth doesn't really save money unless you use them for multiple kids. Cloth is definitely better for the environment. But, not as much as you might guess when you factor in the water and electricity that goes in to cleaning them. Oh, and I'm too lazy to use them. That's the biggest reason. I think being a working mom is hard enough. I'm not trying to add more chores. Even with a diaper service I think it is still more work. They are pretty darn cute though.

Those are pretty generalized statements to make for never cloth diapering. CDs can be as expensive or cost effective as you want. We used prefolds and covers for the first 3 months, then moved onto Alva and Sunbaby pocket diapers, spending a grand total of about $400. Also, our electric bill and water bill didn't go up a noticeable amount in the slightest, and my diapers won't end up in a landfill. I'm not saying one method is better than another, but do a little research before you make such a blanket statement.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014

• JessAnnJ said:

We have been happy with the pampers swaddlers sensitive. The only way I would use cloth is if the new baby had really sensitive skin that reacted to the diapers. Cloth doesn't really save money unless you use them for multiple kids. Cloth is definitely better for the environment. But, not as much as you might guess when you factor in the water and electricity that goes in to cleaning them. Oh, and I'm too lazy to use them. That's the biggest reason. I think being a working mom is hard enough. I'm not trying to add more chores. Even with a diaper service I think it is still more work. They are pretty darn cute though.

Those are pretty generalized statements to make for never cloth diapering. CDs can be as expensive or cost effective as you want. We used prefolds and covers for the first 3 months, then moved onto Alva and Sunbaby pocket diapers, spending a grand total of about $400. Also, our electric bill and water bill didn't go up a noticeable amount in the slightest, and my diapers won't end up in a landfill. I'm not saying one method is better than another, but do a little research before you make such a blanket statement.

I 100% agree. Cloth diapers saved me a lot of money with just one child- energy costs and water included. Also, I am a full-time working mom too and adding one extra load of laundry a week didn't kill me.

Like PP said, I am not saying one is better than the other, but if you are too lazy to try them (like you said) don't try to play it off as if they aren't cost effective.

MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d

• Pampers 4 LYFE!  I wanted to try cloth, but my husband isn't on board.

• JessAnnJ said:

I 100% agree. Cloth diapers saved me a lot of money with just one child- energy costs and water included. Also, I am a full-time working mom too and adding one extra load of laundry a week didn't kill me.

Like PP said, I am not saying one is better than the other, but if you are too lazy to try them (like you said) don't try to play it off as if they aren't cost effective.

Totally on the cost effectiveness. We spent $500 to CD our son, and it can be done for less than that. Buying disposables you would spend that much in 6-12 months, depending on what brands and sales/ coupons. Considering most kids are in diapers for at least 2 to 2 1/2 years you save a lot of money.
    No, cloth is absolutely not for everyone, and 2-3 more loads of laundry is too much work for some people on top of a new baby. I get that and like you said it is a valid reason.
    Just is not true about the cost though!

And I second PPs about zulily. There isn't anything wrong with those diapers, but you can get them straight from the manufacturer,Alva, yourself for about $5 apiece.
    Married 6/18/11

• JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited March 2014

JessAnnJ said:

I'll quote and respond to both here. I should have been more clear when I mentioned cost and I have done some research although admittedly not a ton. I would have probably used a diaper service and with that there would have been no cost savings. Even without the diaper service I would have to buy diapers for daycare. We buy diapers from amazon and spend about $40/month. Even if your bill only went up $5 that is still getting you closer to what I spend. Also, if you are buying some disposable diapers (some people mentioned that in their replies) they are more expensive than buying in bulk and that is an additional cost getting you closer to what I spend. So yes I spend more than you do, but for me I would not have really saved money until child #2 with having to buy diapers for daycare even if I didn't use a diaper service. I should have been more detailed in my original post.

Also, re the environment my point was only that they are not 100% better. You use electricity and water to clean them, and yes you are not sending nearly as much to the land fill but your diapers and covers will eventually end up in a landfill.

I would use them if there was a sensitivity to disposables and as I said laziness is the primary reason. Kudos to the working moms that use them. I'm surprised that you only need to do one extra load a week. You must have a lot of diapers.

Edited for missing information/random word left in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• We cloth diaper and both work full time out of the home. DH was leery about cloth but we got the bum genius one size all in 2s (they grow with the kiddo) and they look like disposable diapers so he was convinced and is now an advocate - always telling other people how awesome they are! Spraying poop when they start solids does suck, but with a sprayer and some rubber gloves, it's all good!
    We love our cloth and have used the same stash through DS's 2 1/2 yrs of diapers! That's a huge cost savings!
    We also use disposable liners when we visit my parents so we can just lift the poop out of the diaper and flush. It's great!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Pampers swaddlers is what we put on DD and will with this LO too. They are softer then huggies I think
  • A combo of cloth (when at home) and I usually buy either Seventh Generation, Earth's Best or Babyganics disposable diapers. I bought Honest Co diapers before but wowsers, too spendy.
  • BobKat22 said:

Luvs all the way. They work perfectly fine to hold in the poop and pee. I've never noticed a difference between them and the higher name brands. And cheaper than Pampers or Huggies.

Actually, I'll probably use something with a wet detector strip in the beginning because I found it hard to tell if the diaper was wet or not when they are newborns. I'm not sure if Luvs has that in the smaller size. I didn't start using them until size 3.

I really like luvs also but I use Walmarts Parents Choice brand diapers. They work just as good as name brands and they are cheap. I just bought a 70 pack of size 5 diapers for DD for 13.97. The Luvs were almost $16 for only 66.

I Hate. Huggies. DD always leaked or had a blow out with. But every baby is different. So I guess it will all come down to what works best for this baby.
  • I am hoping/planning to primarily use cloth.  My husband is a little wary but I'll be a SAHM so I think I get the final say. I think the cost argument is getting through to him since we'll be dropping to one income (admittedly, he'll be making more next year, and significantly more the year after that), but saving money is never a bad thing, and we do plan on more kids.

We might combine with disposables for outings/travel/overnight.

I need to do more research for sure...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I love target up&up! I have tried all the diapers with both my kids and those have worked the best for them! Babies r us also has a pretty good diaper and they have them super cheap on black Friday. I ran a daycare for awhile and I used target diapers for all those kids too. I had one little girl that her mom tried cloth and they actually irritated her skin.
  • Walmart and target brand work just as great as name brand Same with formula if you go that route.. Same product just rebranded.
    This.  I don't understand why people spend money on Pampers and Huggies.  I did use Swaddlers the first month because the line that changes colors is so nice, especially if you are breastfeeding and monitoring wet diapers.  But once they pee enough that you don't need the line anymore I switch to the Wal-Mart brand (Parents Choice).  I also use their wipes and I used their cereal and formula too once I stopped nursing.  Whenever my son would have a leak I knew it was time to move him up a size and that always took care of the problem.

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• We started out with Pampers for my daughter and they gave her a horrible chemical burn. Then we switched to Huggies then Target Brand. Around 4 months we switched to cloth and loved it. I'm planning on CD this one from the start.
  • I want to try cloth diapering but every time I go to investigate I can't see how it is cheaper.
  • A couple things about cloth diapers: they hold their value really well, so when you are finished with them, you can usually sell them and recoup probably at least half of what you paid, contributing both to the cost effectiveness and the environmental aspect of them. Yes, they will eventually end up in a landfill, but my 40 diapers, which will have been worn by my 3 kids and probably used by at least one other family before they are worn out, is nothing compared to the thousands of disposables you will put in the landfill, that argument just always bothers me. Also, yes, a small amount of water, energy, and detergent is used to clean them, but again, it doesn't compare to the amount of resources used to make a disposable, when you will need at least 1500 for one kid and I use 40 total (maybe more for twins). Like people have mentioned, my water/electricity bill hardly went up at all- we are talking about 2 extra loads of laundry a week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • SS because I strongly prefer Huggies for disposables but will switch to mostly cloth diapers after the first 4-6 weeks (when they can poop 10-12 times a day).

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • I use Target Up and Up with DD. I'll stick with those unless the new LO has issues with them. 

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • Walmart and target brand work just as great as name brand Same with formula if you go that route.. Same product just rebranded.
    This.  I don't understand why people spend money on Pampers and Huggies.  I did use Swaddlers the first month because the line that changes colors is so nice, especially if you are breastfeeding and monitoring wet diapers.  But once they pee enough that you don't need the line anymore I switch to the Wal-Mart brand (Parents Choice).  I also use their wipes and I used their cereal and formula too once I stopped nursing.  Whenever my son would have a leak I knew it was time to move him up a size and that always took care of the problem.
    That's the fabulous thing about choices.  You run your house the way you want, and others run their houses the way they want, including perhaps (in your mind) overpaying for diapers.  Isn't America great?!

In terms of diapers, I should have SS because for a long while, we used Bambo diapers for overnight.  My daughter STTN from a really young age, so she would have these enormous diapers in the morning.  It freaked me out one day when the little gel moisture absorbing balls were all over her skin.  The Bambo diapers are made of bamboo and are soft and lovely and very absorbent, but they are also quite expensive.  They became our diapers for plane rides and overnights only.  Now we just use the Pampers Extra Protection for that time period since she is off bottles and seems to pee less than before.

• We are also going to try cloth diapering! I'm excited/nervous as all of our friends with kids think we are crazy to do so. I'm glad there are so many c/d pros here & you've made me feel like it will be okay, so thanks!
  • We tried cloth but after trying 4 different brands I gave up.  None worked as well as the Huggies.  I didn't even approach the topic with DH this time.  We spent so much money on cloth (granted, we sold them for about 70% of the cost) that I'm not even going to try again.

Huggies 4 lyfe!!!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• For those that are considering cloth diapering but aren't sure, one option is to do a diaper trial. Just google diaper trial and several come up. That was you can try it without investing a bunch of money.

As far as water and electric use, we didn't see a difference. We did see a difference when we switched from a blow-up tub to the big tub.

We both work full time jobs. We do a load of laundry every 2-3 days, use Tide, and throw our all-in-one diapers in the dryer.

The up front costs are higher but the long term costs are lower. Whatever works best for your family is the way to go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Cloth. Probably newborn sposies until life is under control, but I plan to expand my cloth stash a bit. Love, love Bumgenius. Not the cheapest, but mine work fantastically after FT use for 2.5 years. I'll replace the leg elastic and will probably buy some new big inserts to freshen things up, but I only have 15 diapers.

If you're interested check out your local natural/cloth store if possible. It's easy - I've converted many friends!
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"