March 2012 Moms
Options

Brushing teeth ?

Okay, this may sound like a really silly question but I have to ask. (I'm going to blame it on being a FTM and that we haven't been to her 2 year check up yet.)
Okay, so does everyone use fluoride tooth paste with their LO? If so, have you been able to teach your LO to brush and then spit without swallowing it?
My dd's pedi suggested not using fluoride toothpaste until 2. Well awhile back I saw a report that said starting at 6 months kids should start using fluoride toothpaste. We started switching over but I can't get dd to spit it out. I'm not real worried about her swallowing it just wondered how you got your LO to do it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Brushing teeth ?

• Options
    We haven't used fluoride toothpaste yet. We do have her spit into the sink after brushing, but she doesn't spit anything out. I'm interested to know what others are doing!
  • Options
    DD only brushes her teeth at night and is still using the safe to swallow stuff. No spitting. We're still working on nose blowing. She does better with one thing at a time. lol. She's very smart but a bit of a perfectionist. She needs to learn one thing and learn it well before she moves on to the next one or else she gets really frustrated.

(Not that she takes after me or anything. In fact, I didn't even realize we both did that until I typed it just now. lol)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well you two are ahead of me. I can't get dd to even try to spit. I know most parents would be glad their kids don't spit, but I guess I'm opposite.
  • Options
    Our kids' dentist advises not to use fluoride toothpaste until they can spit really well.  Our water has fluoride and he advises that too much fluoride in their systems can be a bad thing.  We're working on spitting but still use the safe to swallow.  
  • Options
    I'm using training toothpaste until the tube is gone and then I'll probably try Rom's or whatever the next step kid toothpaste is. My husband sometimes gives him a tiny swipe of adult toothpaste at night and Alexander loves the taste of it. He brushes and say "ooh, tasty!" As if late, he only wants to brush his teeth with my toothbrush and it's starting to gross me out a little, lol.

• Options
    We're still using the safe-to-swallow toothpaste.  My pedi said not to change him until he is really good at spitting it out,which he's not yet.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    WipzWipz member
    DS is going to be using the safe to swallow stuff for the rest of his life, I think. He thinks toothpaste is a treat and just sucks it off the toothbrush.  SMH
    Haha you are not alone... I swear this kid would eat it like a squeeze pouch if possible.  
  • Options
    Yeah, DS still likes to suck the toothpaste off the brush so no fluoride for us yet. He doesn't spit either, just kind of goes "puh" at the sink.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    We don't use toothpaste yet. He will sometimes spit but not much comes out. We haven't had our first dentist visit yet either. He hates going to the dr (and hates brushing his teeth!) so I don't think much would be accomplished at the dentist if we tried to go now.
  • Options
    Wipz said:
    DS is going to be using the safe to swallow stuff for the rest of his life, I think. He thinks toothpaste is a treat and just sucks it off the toothbrush.  SMH
    Haha you are not alone... I swear this kid would eat it like a squeeze pouch if possible.  
    LOL my LO does the same thing! and asks for more! I tell him no, brushy brushy!! lol oh these kids!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all the answers! I was so scared we were behind on this because the switch to fluoride toothpaste isn't going so well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"