Adoption

Lawyer vs. Agency

My husband and I are starting the process of adoption and we live in IL. We have researched and looked at several agencies and have come across a few adoption lawyers. What are the pros and cons between the two?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Re: Lawyer vs. Agency

• There are no pros or cons, really just what works best for you. I think we may address the different avenues in the FAQs.

For many people, the availability of counseling for expectant parents is extremely important. No matter what you choose to do, definitely look to see if that's available.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • In IL, I've heard good things about a Chicago based agency called the Cradle .
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lynze983lynze983 member
    edited March 2014
    I have heard great things about the Cradle too! In fact, since I have posted this question earlier today, I have found a website called:  creatingafamily.org   I am listening to a radio show now that a person from the Cradle is informing adoptive parents on how to choose the right agency for them. However, we live several hours away from Chicago and don't feel it is ideal to have so many miles between us and our agency.   

creatingafamily.org not only informs adoptive parents how to choose the right agency, they also have a radio show that talks about adopting through an adoption lawyer. They have given me great info so far and wonderful questions to ask!  

Here are the links for anyone else interested:

Thanks so much for all the replies and your help as we make this decision!  
  • We used an agency. It was not inexpensive, but it was nice to have someone that we felt comfortable with walking us through the entire process. They networked with other agencies around the country and did our applications for them as well.

Our BM was using an adoption attorney instead of an agency but they specialized in adoptions in their state. Our consultant was the one that put us in touch with their attorney.

For us, we felt like it was our best way.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • I really liked the extra support that we got from an agency as well as knowing that they were providing support, transportation to Dr's appointments and counseling for our B-Mom. But, I know other people that just used an attorney and they were perfectly happy with that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"