Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Mouth Opening Tic

I posted something about this last week, but since then it has gotten worse and I am getting worried. For the last week and a half my 3 year old has been opening his mouth (almost looks like he is leaning his head back and popping his ears) every couple of minutes. Sometimes more frequently, sometimes less. It seems compulsive, he cannot stop. I tried gently talking to him about it, asking him if his ears, teeth or throat hurt and he said no. I can tell it sometimes is making him self conscious. It is getting worse. My husband and I tried to do some reading up on it and every thing we read says to just try to ignore it and if it doesn't go away in a couple weeks, take him to a doc. 

Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? It is breaking my heart that he can't stop. 
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mouth Opening Tic

• Options
    If it is truly a tic, your LO can't help it, which is heartbreaking for you and can be frustrating for him if he is aware.  If you are worried about, I would call your pediatrician now and get suggestions.  It has already been a week and a half, and it seems like you are worried so no sense in waiting.  It can't hurt to ask a professional for input.  Good luck. 
  • Options
    Thanks. I actually made an appointment for tomorrow. However, I am happy to report that he has not done it for 2 days. Since then he has developed a bad cold, so I am going to the appointment anyway, haha. I will tell the doc about it and see what she says just in case it starts to happen again. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"