August 2014 Moms
Options

Registering at ONE place

My DH and I are both big Amazon shoppers. Not only do we have prime, we also have Amazon credit cards. We do subscribe and save. We shop there all. the. time. Upon finding out that I was pregnant, my mom sent me a $500 amazon gift card. She knows me.

We're obviously going to do a baby registry there. But would it be OK register there exclusively? It has a universal feature, so we could still add things from other stores. I feel like I'm SUCH an amazon shopper that my perception of other people's experiences may be skewed. I absolutely hate going to stores and hunting down crap on people's registries, so I always hop online and buy there if  I have the chance. Do other people feel opposite? 

I feel like BRU is overpriced, and Target has a LOT of stuff that's online only anyway. We have no BBB in our area, so that's out.

My apologies if this exact question has already been asked. I found a lot of stuff about registries in search, but not this particular Q. 

TIA
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Registering at ONE place

• Options
    Sure! But be understanding of the people who either can't, or won't, shop online. For example, my grandparents are tech-dumb. Even though they have the internet, they flat our refuse to consider doing online because my grandfather thinks that anyone else online can steal their financial info.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I don't see why not. If someone doesn't want to order offline or doesn't leave themselves time (guilty of getting present on the way) then they will just get you whatever and call it a day! I think one registry is fine too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I registered mainly on Amazon, but also did something local for DH's relatives that would have preferred to shop in an actual store. It worked just fine :)

Goob 01/26/12
    Olliekazam 08/18/14

• Options
    I say no because a lot of people want to shop in a store. I would have ended up with clothes I didn't want or Target gift cards if I had done that, which might be fine with most people.

• Options
    I was specifically told by a friend not to do only amazon. We had the majority of big items on that registry.
    I will add, the friend was younger and very familiar with online purchasing. She said it's something about baby things that makes you want to go to a store and touch them and feel them.
    We also did Target so people could go to a store and pick out things. I have out of town family so BRU wouldn't have been a great choice.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    I am registered with Amazon but also BRU.  I have found that there are some things that are actually cheaper at BRU than Amazon.  I'm with you on the hatred of going to stores and shop, but like others have said, some people enjoy the excuse to go to a baby store and shop around.  Also, it helps to be able to physically look at some of the merchandise that you put on your registry.

• Options
    I know why you want to just register there, I do a ton of shopping there too, but I wouldn't just register there. It is just asking for people to go off of your registry and get whatever they want from wherever they want.

DH's family are huge amazon shoppers and likely all of the gifts from that side will come from there...but my side of the family likes to buy it in person. I know if I only registered at amazon, some of my family would get things off of the registry that they could find at target. The rest would just get a bunch of totally random stuff.

TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    For DD, I registered at Amazon, BRU, and Target. I noticed relatives that live far away mostly bought from Amazon because it was easier for them to order online anyway. But I had a shower with my coworkers, and they pretty much exclusively bought from Target because the store was close and convenient. So in that sense, I think it's better to give people options.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I'll second procrastination. I've almost made it an art form.
    I will literally buy the present and put it in the bag at the cash register. Tissue paper and all.
    If I'm not going to be able to attend the party, I can order and have it shipped directly to the person.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    I feel like if people are going to buy something that is not on your registry, they are going to do so regardless of where you are registered. Most people shop online nowadays anyway and it may even be easier to just have it shipped directly to you. We considered doing Amazon also and the only reason we didn't is because we're also doing only one registry. I'm overwhelmed enough and I feel like more than one registry (for us!) was just too much. BBB is not around here, not a fan of Target...so we ended up at BRU. My family is super excited with this being the first grandchild on either side and they want the experience of going shopping in store, which is why we didn't do Amazon. I say do whatever is easier and more comfortable for you. Good luck! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    I started out registering at amazon and target for people who didnt want to shop online. Then target pissed me off, so now Im just at amazon.
  • Options
    We're the same way! The amazon registry is kind of lopsided right now, with a handful of *reeeeallly* expensive stuff, like Ergo baby carrier and breast pump, and then a handful of really cheap stuff and nothing much in between. So I need to work on that. But we will probably do a smaller handful of things on a Babies R Us registry as well, as others have mentioned, since my MiL prefers to shop in brick and mortar stores. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• Options
    We are huge Amazon shoppers, as are a few of our friends. However, we choose to only register at BRU because I know this is where our family and most friends will choose to shop. An online only registry would not go over well with our non-tech savvy family members. Those that are tech friendly, I'm sure will at least check the BRU registry to see what we have chosen. I don't mind at all if people choose to not buy from the registry, especially if they find a better deal else where (my family & all my friends know I'm all about being a bargain hunter). 
  • Options
    We started  BRU and Amazon registries and linked them to myregistry so they are all at one place. Most of our family will order online, but for the few that won't, there's BRU.
  • Options
    MC03MC03 member
    I would really recommend at least one other registry where people can go pick out things in store.  So many people are last minute shoppers, and so having to wait for a product to be shipped would not work.  For my shower with DD I checked our registry 2 days before and almost NOTHING had been bought.  But come day of shower when I was opening those presents I got a lot of the registry.  Everyone went in to the store the day before or morning of.  For that reason I would have another registry.  Or else be prepared for a lot of people to just pick up whatever they think you need at target before your shower. :)

imageimage
  • Options
    I think it'd be fine to do Amazon only. If ppl won't want to buy online, they can always look at your registry and walk into a brick and mortar store and buy that same item. No harm, no foul..

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    Am I the only shameless last minute shopper who prints out and wraps the product description of the gift I bought off the online registry? :-)
  • Options
    We started  BRU and Amazon registries and linked them to myregistry so they are all at one place. Most of our family will order online, but for the few that won't, there's BRU.
    We also started registries at BRU & Amazon. Our grandparents are not internet savvy and would rather shop in store while our friends love using Amazon.

BRU is also running a great deal right now where you can get 10% back on registry purchases. Yay for money back/completion discounts!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My cousin, who is pg with twins, just used this website, and I thought it was really clever - www.babyli.st

You can put anything on your registry from any online store (target, BRU, amazon, etc). Your friends and family see it all on one list, click "reserve," then are directed to the relevant website to purchase.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Has anyone tried babylist? I have heard great things and you can do amazon plus items you want from other stores including BRU, etsy, etc. I am definitely considering it but would love to know if amyone else has.
  • Options
    Am I the only shameless last minute shopper who prints out and wraps the product description of the gift I bought off the online registry? :-)
    Not at all- been there, done that! More than once ;) I actually did that for a small shower I threw for my best friend who was visiting from CA. In that case, it was more out of convenience for her, so she would not have to stress about taking gifts on plane or shipping to her home (I had items directly shipped to her from the registry) . Anyhow, yep...guilty!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    I'm curious about babyli.st too. Is it annoying for folks that they have to click so many times on one site before they get over to the other site where they complete their purchase?

• Options
    NSAbbyNSAbby member
    edited March 2014
    We've only registered at BRU, and only plan to have that registry.
    ETA: We only have a couple "big ticket items" Which are travel system, convert car seat, diapers, and pump. The travel system and carseat are being purchased by my dad and brother. The other BTI are just for our personal list (CDs and pump), unless my coworkers group-gift

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"