Babies on the Brain
Options

Mirena- it wouldn't come out!

So, the backstory is I've been having some serious pelvic pain over the last 3 months, and since I'm planning to TTC in the next 2 months anyways, I thought I'd get the Mirena out (because I'm figuring it's the problem)

Today, the Mirena strings were there, but the family doc couldn't get it out.... as in, it's embedded in my uterine wall (presumably?). When she pulled on the strings it reproduced my pain EXACTLY! So now I'm off for an ultrasound sometime next month and have a referral for a gyne visit.... and my family doc mentioned that getting it out may require a d + c. 

So here I am, thinking to myself: I wanted to keep my TTC plans to myself. I work at all 3 hospitals in town, including the one that does gyne procedures. I work in the OR (I'm a resident, not with gyne). Everyone in the OR has access to the OR list, and it's a small place, I know about 50% of the anesthesia and nursing staff, and all the surgeons in my department ..... 

Has anyone else run into this challenge with confidentiality before? 

Re: Mirena- it wouldn't come out!

• Options
    Can you use a pseudonym? I used to register patients and in certain situations we could do that to ensure confidentiality. The patients number, DOB, etc stayed the same. Obviously the people performing the procedure would know. I guess the only other option is an out of town hospital.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it's causing pain, which it is, that's reason enough to have it removed.
  • Options
    Sorry you're dealing with this!
  • Options
    mirizzi&Amirizzi&A member
    edited February 2014
    Kerbear: You raise a really good point. I don't think people would necessarily ask: I worry that they'll see my name on the slate with "d + c" next to it, and make assumptions. Here, "d+c" can mean anything from a therapeutic abortion, completing a missed/incomplete miscarriage, treating menorrhagia in a post-menopausal woman, or retrieving an embedded IUD. 

Joy: Touche. Sometimes I find it hard to look beyond my own feet. You're absolutely right! Also, it scares me too. 

Ducktale: The pseudonym is a great idea. 
  • Options
    Yeah, my first thought was that it's a totally legit reason to have one removed! 

This may be complete ignorance, but I can't BELIEVE they're making you wait to get an ultrasound/get it removed!!! I have one too and I feel like I'd be raising hell to get it out of there if it started travelling. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Mine broke. Half fell out the other half went further in. My OB was able to remove it in office by dilating my cervix. You may not need surgery.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm totally in the "Can't we just get this done today" boat.... but I'm in Canada. Everybody has equal access, but you've got to wait in line for it. Score one for the US health care system!
  • Options
    but you don't have to pay for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes! I am a nurse, and in a a very similar situation. I am a supervisor, so I want my TTC to remain confidential at this time. I had to find a new OB/GYN out of town, and have my removal appt scheduled for April. I know the privacy rules are there, but I also know a slip up could happen...and I'm not prepared to deal with anyone knowing my TTC business yet. Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersiv>
  • Options
    Just wanted update this (just in case anyone is in this situation in the future and turns up this thread in a search). Had the US, it looked normal, went to the Gyne, who pulled: IUD came out no problem. My worrying was for nothing! Cheers. 
  • Options
    mm529mm529 member
    Glad to hear everything worked out for you!
    Together since Nov 2006. Married since May 2011. 
    TTC #1 Fall 2014 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"