August 2013 Moms
Options

BTDT Moms -- crawling

DD is officially mobile and crawling all over the place. I cannot leave her in her play area alone anymore she is everywhere. I have pillows surrounding the furniture but any suggestions about helping her learn not to crawl "into" stuff, like the coffee table or entertainment center? 
Of course she is never left alone, but I literally cannot take my eyes off her. Other than something like a play pen, any ideas or just enjoy all the fun of it?!? 
 Z is crawling and I and crying.. "Lol". 
 I love so much watching her learn and figure things out, but I don't really want her to learn to look where she's going to be too painful on her lil head
Z in her crib.. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I know babies and toddlers will get bumps and bruises.. Now my post just doesn't make sense. But here it goes anyway..

Re: BTDT Moms -- crawling

• Options
    We created a safe area for our girls. Our house is tiny so we sectioned off the living room from the kitchen and entry way with 2 baby gates. We removed coffee tables and such and put down one of those foam floor doodads and filled the room with toys and tupperware and wooden spoons and such and then turned them loose. (As you can see in my siggy pic.) 

We also bought two of the big heavy, low IKEA shelf units and bolted them to the wall. Then we bought baskets and put them on the bottom row for little toys and big stuff and stuffed animals go in the top layer. Definitely not going to get us into "Better Homes and Gardens" but the kids love it.

My advice, pick a place to make her "safe crawl zone" and take all slamming into stuff out. Think of this as where she gets to experiment. Then watch her like a hawk when she is anywhere else.

Babies do just crawl into, fall into, walk into, etc. stuff and the figure it out pretty quickly.

/

• Options
    I can't see your siggy @BellaOso‌ (at the moment) but that sounds perfect. I think I'm going to steal your idea entirely!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto what @bellaoso said. We got rid of our coffee table once baby started crawling because it was such a hazard and we didn't want him smacking his head on the corner. They learn to watch where they're going pretty quickly but do your best to "baby proof" one area at least for now so you have some peace of mind.
  • Options
    We also put our coffee table in the basement so DS1 would have more room to "roam". I wish i had advice for the entertainment center...at 2.5 years old he still wants to go check stuff out in there, but just redirect, redirect, redirect...and eventually they do what you want 50% of the time. :)
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    I agree with the others. We used the superyard gates, and would make a safe zone, as mentioned. It was so nice to not worry. I could run to the bathroom and know my son was safe.

A + J
    Lincoln 7.2011 | Eloise 8.2013

http://www.thenihadyou.com/
  • Options
    Yup, we moved our coffee table and anything else that was dangerous. Safe area is key
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • Options
    We switched out the old chest we'd been using as a coffee table because it had metal fitting that we're a bit rusty, put a metal/glass top one in its place. I don't recall having major issues with DD1...she bumped a couple times but between learning from experience and us redirecting her or just plain telling her no, that phase didn't last long. It prob depends on the personality of the baby, but she quickly learned to respond to a gentle no...we'd say that and turn her and she'd learn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    We got a new ottoman (padded) coffee table. It gives us something to use but is a little kinder to LO.
  • Options
    At our old house, we put up a baby jail to protect Lucas. Now we have the baby jail open to block the tv. She's not crawling just yet, but she's almost there.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Ok for now, until I can get the room set up, I ordered a padded ottoman coffee table from target. Until it arrives and I have the room baby proofed, I will redirect. She catches onto things very quickly so telling her no and redirecting is a great tip. I was just redirecting her.
  • Options
    Great thread! Thanks for posting! I can't believe this is just around the corner for us! Shoot me!!
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"