December 2013 Moms
Options

I survived (IL vent ... LONG)

ILs wanted to watch LO for the first few weeks when I returned to work. DH was so excited for free childcare and I said hell no (DH travels, so they would be watching LO while he was out of town, therefore I would be dealing with them.) We compromised with 1 week. DH has travelled all this week, leaving me to deal with his parents watching LO and I survived (barely.)

Here are a few if the gems from my week:
1. MIL cooking dinner when I already told her I had dinner prepared for the week and completely destroying one of my pots in the process (3rd pot she has ruined of mine.) Hence me having my dinner already prepared for week.
2. FIL taking a nap in our bed when there are 2 other beds and 4 couches in the house. Who does that? I am very weirded out by this, especially since I didn't make the bed since I was trying to get out of the house on time.
3. Since I get home at 6, I asked that they try and not give LO a bottle after 5:30 so I could BF when I got home. They would either completely ignore my request or try to keep him from having a bottle for too long (LO woke up hungry at 5 and didn't get fed until I got home at 6 and was in meltdown mode)
4. FIL ringing the doorbell every morning, causing to the dog to bark for 5 minutes straight. He would then use his key to enter. If you are going to use your key, why ring the doorbell?

So after all of that and much more, I am glad this week is over. I do appreciate that they wanted to help, but it was stressful for me.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

Re: I survived (IL vent ... LONG)

• Options
    Lol at #2. That is weird. I would be creeped out too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm usually not on board with IL hate, but I'll give you #2. That's weird.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options

The bed thing is weird. The rest just sounds like they're trying to be helpful.

Maybe FIL rings the bell to let you know he's coming in. Maybe MIL was just trying to give you a break and cook for you. I think you should be grateful you're getting any help at all, and that it's free.

I know that I am being whiny bitch and that they are trying to help.

However some frustrations are warranted like all 3 pots she ruined by doing the same thing and then cleaned and put them away and never told me she messed them up. Also DH had talked to her about this a few months ago.

MIL and I had already discussed the not ringing the doorbell and I heard her tell FIL while we were still on the phone. Frustration is that doorbell ring = dog barking for 5 min = waking baby (thankfully he only woke one of the days.)

The bottle thing I can understand if he isn't he isn't pacified by anything. But her response was "oopsies, I forgot" for 3 days.

Again I am grateful that they love LO and want to spend time with him and help us out.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Options
    I can relate that's all I will say. You survived and it's over, you don't have to deal with them anymore!
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    BootsOrHeartsBootsOrHearts member
    edited March 2014
    And next time they offer, make sure you say thanks but no thanks.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    Ahh the doorbell thing would annoy me too! I also have barky dogs. I have a crazy lady sign on my door that says No knocking, no doorbell. Right before anyone comes over, I unlock the door. Everyone knows to just come in, except MIL. she will hover on the front porch right up against the glass and the dogs see her and go crazy. Every.time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I don't think you sound whiny at all. All of that would drive me nuts. At some point all of this added stress from "helping" negates the help you are getting. Glad it's over :)
  • Options
    This is why if I lived near in laws if they babysat they would do it at their house. So I could get dd and leave when I was ready to leave and not worry about them messing with my stuff.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like you just need to communicate more and more effectively. Yeah, the bed thing is weird, but tell them so. Shut your door and ask them to maintain your privacy. Feeding/not feeding lo...give them concrete instructions. If DS wakes before X, feed him. If after X, keep him distracted instead. Cooking..."I appreciate the help, but do not cook. I already have food prepared and don't want it to go to waste. Doorbell...he probably wants to let you know they are here and coming in. How awkward would it be for him to walk in and you are topless in your undies on the couch?? Awkward! Or you are running late and still in the shower? You then go streaking from the bathroom to the kitchen for your cup of coffee you left on the counter and Oh Hello FIL sitting at my counter.......... Honestly, you do sound ungrateful. You didn't want their help, and you are not giving them a fair chance. You set them up for failure by deciding ahead of time they would fail and making darn sure you were paying attention to every detail so you could get out of them watching DS. Give them another chance. All four of you sit down and talk. Have a calm discussion. "Things didn't go as we planned last week. Here are a few things that frustrated me. Lets fix them together and have a better week next week. " and then everyone knows exactly what is going on and can make this work. Oh, and, stop judging them before giving them a chance.
    You shouldn't have to explicitly tell somebody not to go in your room and lay in your bed to not be annoyed by the action, IMO

This!!! That's why the 3 bears were pissed at Goldilocks. Moral = no one in my house when I'm not home and lock the doors. And plus also, neither his nor my parents have a key to our home.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The bed thing is super weird!
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I get annoyed with all the in law hate on these boards but the bed thing is straight up bizarre
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"