Attachment Parenting
Options

Night nursing and tooth decay?

DD is 13.5 months and still nurses frequently at night (we bedshare).  She definitely has trouble soothing herself back to sleep and relies on nursing to do so most of the time.  I, as mom, am ready to cut back on the night nursing and help her with the self-soothing, but have been putting it off because she has other developmental stuff going on (just started walking, transitioning to older toddler group at daycare, dealing with constipation, etc.) and don't want to overwhelm her.  

But, here's my question:  I was reading up on baby/toddler sleep on the Aha Parenting website and she said that it is important to wean from night-nursing after 12 months because of the risk of tooth decay.  This was a surprise to me --  I thought that the potential for tooth decay was related to having bottles at night, versus breastfeeding.  And I've had trouble finding other sources to confirm this.  

What have others heard?  Should I be weaning DD off night nursing sooner rather than later for dental health reasons?  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Night nursing and tooth decay?

• Options
    i am in agreement with you-- i've always read that breast milk has a protective effect against cavities. it is also good for your child's jaw/oral development as it helps shape the palate, making it less likely they will need orthodontia.

i brush DS's teeth 2x a day, once when he gets up, and once after his bath. he still nurses to sleep most nights (after his teeth get brushed). he has all his teeth except his 2 year molars. at his 18 month checkup a couple of weeks ago, our pediatrician said his teeth look great. so i am not too concerned about it. :)
  • Options
    p.s. where does she say that on the website? i've done a lot of reading on her site and i don't recollect reading that. just curious!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So theoretically, tooth decay would be caused by milk sitting on the teeth.  Which could happen with nursing at night.

However, I remember reading somewhere it's less of a concern with nursing because of the way nursing physically works - the nipple is behind the teeth, so the milk isn't "hitting" them or sitting in the mouth. 

I also know some parents that will wipe with a washcloth after night nursing sessions, so there's always that.  I never did it.  My son dropped his night nursing on his own around 14 months, so it wasn't a huge concern of mine.  And I feel like it wouldn't have been (for me) even it had gone on longer. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I remember seeing a study where they put teeth in glasses of water, breast milk, and cow milk. The tooth in the breast milk not only didn't decay it came out stronger than the water tooth!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @vvvvfee, here is what Dr. Markham has on her website:  

Get some sleep.  By 12 months, many pediatricians recommend no more night nursings, because you risk giving your baby cavities.  It can be a challenge to teach your baby to go back to sleep without nursing.  Check out the Sleep pages on this site.

@Rrrrrachel, thanks.  I feel like I should send that link to Aha Parenting!
  • Options
    @ReeceFamily weird! i don't think she mentions anything like that in the sections on sleep.

dr. jack newman, a breastfeeding expert, also addressed the subject on his facebook page recently, mentioning a review of studies on breastfeeding and cavities that found no evidence that the two are related. here's the link

so yeah, i would not worry about it!
  • Options
    I have officially stopped worrying! :)
  • Options
    Well boo…I really like aha parenting but that's just lame advice all around!

It's not a worry.  I night nursed well past one and never did anything - and never had an issue.  Bottles are different but nursing at the breast is fine.
  • Options
    We night nursed until 3yrs.  It hasn't ever been an issue for teeth for us.  If DD were super prone to teeth problems and we had found them at her earlier checkup, yeah, I probably would have nixed the night nursing earlier, but not without that.
    IMG_8355
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I did actually send those studies to Aha Parenting! Will let you know if I hear back.
  • Options
    From the American Dental Association:
    https://www.ada.org/3143.aspx

1. When your child sleeps latched, your nipple is so far back in her mouth that if any milk leaks (and not much does) it goes down her throat and doesn't pool around the teeth.
    2. Breastmilk contains cavity-fighting and enamel-strengthening properties.
    3. Sleeping latched does not impact oral development.
    4. Cavities in toddlers is more likely due to genetics, poor oral hygiene, and/or a diet too heavy in carbs/sugars.

Bottle nipples, on the other hand, leak, do not go far back into baby's mouth and allow pooling of milk around the teeth, and sleeping latched onto a bottle can negatively impact oral development. So sleeping with a bottle is not recommended.

Many dentists and pediatricians do not note the big differences between sleeping latched onto the breast and latched onto a bottle. It's really disappointing.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I flat out asked our dentist this and she said breast milk does not cause cavities. As long as we are brushing her teeth before bed to get excess food off the teeth then the night nursing should be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Fwiw, my son bottle-fed BM at night until 14 months old and never had cavities, so I feel even less worried that I am putting dd at risk when we night nurse. It is a thought in the back of my mind, but truthfully I think some people are just more prone to cavities than others.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"