September 2014 Moms

Super Dry Skin?

Is anyone experiencing super dry skin?

I have always suffered from dry skin and after fixing some of my health issues prior to this pregnancy my skin was great, but now it's so bad my face is peeling! I don't use conventional creams and lotions due to the toxic chemicals so I have been using coconut oil which was just fine, but now nothing is working. So I'm wondering if it's pregnancy related or not.

Re: Super Dry Skin?

• AQUAPHOR. Worked for my tattoos
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• I'm in Upstate NY and it's been a brutal winter so I've been attributing it to that. It's pretty par for the course during winter for me.
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm guessing it's probably the extra dry winter air we've been having this year.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • carmstr4 said:
    AQUAPHOR. Worked for my tattoos
    This stuff is amazing. I only recently discovered it. I got nothing as far as natural remedies for dry skin go though, coconut oil is where my knowledge ends.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • Bacon fat also works
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Sometimes I'll add a base coat of olive oil before applying lotion and that's helpful for me.  Pure shea butter or cocoa butter might also help.
    September '14 June Siggy Challenege: Dad Eye Candy
    imageimage

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Whoa! Look at you grow!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • carmstr4 said:
    Bacon fat also works
    I'm guessing you are joking, but actually it made me think of tallow, there are tallow creams and they are very nourishing. I may look into that, thanks!

• reverey said:
    I've been itchy and dry since a few wks after my BFP...I'm sure some of its dry air and some of it my skin subtly stretching! I've found that baby oil on wet skin after a bath and then followed by a good shea based lotion has been helping. I use Mustella's cream for my chest, belly and thighs (for stretching) and I've also found that getting an oatmeal bath helps a lot. Good luck!
    I don't use baby oil due to being toxic, but I didn't think of oatmeal baths for me. I do a homemade oatmeal milk bath for LO I bet I can use that as well, thanks!
  • reverey said:
    I've been itchy and dry since a few wks after my BFP...I'm sure some of its dry air and some of it my skin subtly stretching! I've found that baby oil on wet skin after a bath and then followed by a good shea based lotion has been helping. I use Mustella's cream for my chest, belly and thighs (for stretching) and I've also found that getting an oatmeal bath helps a lot. Good luck!
    I don't use baby oil due to being toxic, but I didn't think of oatmeal baths for me. I do a homemade oatmeal milk bath for LO I bet I can use that as well, thanks!
    Baby oil is toxic if you DRINK it. Are you going to drink it? It isn't 'toxic' but it isn't great for moisturizing either since it kinda covers you in a layer rather than absorbing.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @carmstr4 no, I won't be drinking it. But the skin is the largest organ in our bodies, what you put on, you are putting in.

Here is the gist of a research paper I did on the dangers or baby oil: baby oil is 100% mineral oil. Mineral oil is a product of petroleum distillation. Mineral oil acts as a plastic wrap clogging the pores, blocking the skins ability to absorb moisture as well as the ability to release any toxins back out into the skin surface. Mineral oil has been linked to 23 different diseases, and it can bioaccumulate in fat tissue and in breastmilk. More often than not, baby oil also contains other additives like synthetic fragrances which are non other than phthalates. Phthalates are endocrine disrruptors, responsible for male reproductive issues among many other problems. I could go on...

So yes, it is toxic. 
  • Sigh.  Writing an article for your blog isn't a research paper. And a paragraph isn't a 'paper' But take your own advice if you're going to dish it out, and make your own.  Here I've found your own recipe for you which includes your 'research paper'

https://naturallymindful.com/2014/01/homemade-baby-oil-free-label.html

Don't copy and paste your own articles, it will really mess up your google rankings, which I assume you are trying for since you clearly don't take your own advice.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carmstr4 What you don't know is that I am currently in school and this post came about after my research paper on the subject of hydrocarbons for my organic chemistry class. Yes, that is in my blog and like I said that is the gist of it which is why it ended up there on the blog since posting my whole paper wouldn't be good as a blogpost. And God forbid I had linked it to that blogpost, I'd get flak for self-promotion. But thanks for looking me up, though.
  • I didn't 'look you up' I copied and pasted into google to find your references.  And your references are your own blog and mnn.com Neither of which are reputable sources or peer reviewed and any school of merit would turn down an article with those as 'references'
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @carmstr4 well, if you'd like to know I cited those sources for the purpose of the blogpost. The sources for my paper were articles in journals but I wouldn't cite those for a blogpost, would I? That blogpost is not my paper. But it's okay, you wouldn't know that unless you saw my paper. I don't know why so much interest about this on your part. I know what I said about mineral oil is true but since you clearly don't find my word credible you are more than welcome to do your own research on the topic.
  • @carmstr4 no, I won't be drinking it. But the skin is the largest organ in our bodies, what you put on, you are putting in.

Here is the gist of a research paper I did on the dangers or baby oil: baby oil is 100% mineral oil. Mineral oil is a product of
    petroleum distillation. Mineral oil
    acts as a plastic wrap clogging the pores, blocking the skins ability to
    absorb moisture as well as the ability to release any toxins back out
    into the skin surface. Mineral oil has been linked to 23 different diseases, and it can bioaccumulate in fat tissue
    and in breastmilk. More often than not, baby oil also contains other
    additives like synthetic fragrances which are non other than phthalates.
    Phthalates are endocrine disrruptors, responsible for male reproductive
    issues among many other problems. I could go on...

So yes, it is toxic. 

Sources please.

• If you are going to suggest to your 'readers' something, I would absolutely put reputable sources.  I don't find YOU credible, but I would find peer reviewed articles credible, and would love to see your sources. I have researched briefly, but only found random websites, nothing peer reviewed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Athena0809 since you think everything else is toxic, have you tried sesame oil or peanut oil? Maybe EVOO?

• I use coconut oil and it's awesome!!

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• edited March 2014
    OP, I have psoriasis and it's gotten out of control since my BFP. For my face, I like Belli face lotion and the Aveeno skin relief lotion helps my body. They're both pregnancy safe

@Irisheyes1247‌ where upstate??? I'm in Clifton Park

Edit: spelling is gud
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • All I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is fish oil (orally) and a humidifier in your home.  I have incredibly dry skin as well and I live in the driest location.  I use pure unrefined shea butter on my hands and elbows when they're really dry but it's pretty greasy for my face. You can also GENTLY exfoliate with a damp towel. And don't use hot water to wash your hands and shower.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just thought of another thing! A dry skin brush. I think you can do it with a rough towel too...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"