November 2012 Moms
Options

LO might have pneumonia

Anyone else out there with an LO that has had pneumonia.

Basically, she has had a fever of 102 or higher for over 8 days. A few days ago a UTI was ruled out. No matter how hard I pressed I couldn't get her pedi or the ER doctor to take a blood sample. When we hit day 8, I brought her to her pedi and pushed and pushed until I got a blood test. He was very condescending and told me it was a very cruel thing to do.

Well, today we get the call - white blood cells are very high. Bring her in for an x-ray. She has no other symptoms, except insane crying at night and a refusal to eat. Occasional faster breathing, but nothing serious. She rips at her throat a lot. Ear and throat infections have been ruled out.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm really at a loss. This is also happening at a very bad time for us generally. I was mistaxed all year and we have a huge tax bill. Our savings are getting depleted because I now have to carry my own insurance and DH is struggling to find a job. There is a lot of paperwork in the works and I'm negotiation job positions. It is not an easy time. Yesterday, during one of LO's 3+ hours of screaming I had a massive breakdown. It's just a lot to take all at once.

Anyway - this wasn't meant to be a complaint. I'm really looking for insight. Do these symptoms sound familiar?

Re: LO might have pneumonia

• Options
    I don't know about the symptoms, sorry. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you and LO are going through this. I hope she gets better soon.
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this. If they did an xray how is pnuemonia questionable? If she has it, the xray would show it...maybe your wording confused me. Hope she gets the meds she needs to feel better and you get a new doctor...if I ask for a treatment I would hope my doctor would oblige without question...i am paying him after all, or at least my insurance is. As for the money stress thing, that sucks too. Here's to life getting better for your family soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  First thing first... I would find a new pedi.  I took DD in with a high fever Monday and once he ruled out ears, nose, and throat, he tested her blood.  When that was clear, he tested her urine.  When that was clear... well.... we've been monitoring her at home and it seems viral and will pass.  But trust your gut, mother's intution is a thing!

I don't know what to tell you about your symptoms.  Its so hard that they can't tell you what's hurting them.  Just keep an eye on her and if things change, call and demand to be seen.

Hugs!

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    no advice.  but I'm sorry!  Hope LO gets better soon, and that life smooths out for the rest of you, too!

• Options
    Thanks for the support guys. It was nice to read your notes.

@ssmb_clarinet - my wording is messy. When I wrote the note we had just been asked to bring her in for an x-ray. The x-ray hadn't been taken yet. We had to confirm the appointment at the diagnostic center (the pediatrician asked for us to be seen immediately, but we had to wait to be told when to show up). While we were on hold, I typed the note.

The x-ray was taken and she does, in fact, have pneumonia. White blood cell differential count confirms it is bacterial, so now she is on insane antibiotics. She looks so sick, poor girl. She's lost weight, and she is very pale.

So now DH is at work and I'm watching over LO while she sleeps. She is now wheezing occasionally, and she breathes a bit faster than usual. I'm rifling through various webmd-like sites to see what constitutes an emergency respiratory situation in a kid/how do I know when she is needs help really quickly.

Re: all the other stuff - sorry to dump all of that here. I was thinking about how my notes here have taken a sort of down tone in recent weeks, and I think all of these factors have played into that. Thing is my concerns really are about  LO, and I feel bad for crossing the streams of stuff that is just bothering me in general and things that are big problems for her.

• Options
    Hope she feels better soon! That sounds horrible! As far as respiratory emergency, I think the respiratory rate is what you go by. Not sure how you decide what is too high, but maybe check Dr. Google. Hoping for at least a semi restful night for you!
  • Options
    Yuck! Hope she feels better soon! At least you have answers, but it is so hard to see them so sick! If your LO is having upwards around 35-40 respirations per minute, she should probably be evaluated. Hope all gets better.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Oh, my. I'm so sorry to hear about her illness. And everything else. I hope you and your family catch a break ASAP, and that she starts feeling better soon.

image   My chart 

• Options
    I hope she gets better soon!
  • Options
    I wish I had some insight for you!  Get a 2nd opinion and hope she feels better soon!~!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"