UO

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited March 2014
    Serenla said:
    mamrotu73 said:
    This is probably more a strange quirk than UO, but:
    I feel bad for the lesser used numbers on the microwave timer (7 and 8 mostly) and purposefully heat things for times using those numbers so they don't feel left out.

ETA: I do understand that the buttons are inanimate objects without feelings. I still want my buttons to wear out at a consistent rate...
    Sometimes I "feel badly" for shoes I don't wear, or eye shadows in a pallet that I rarely use....so glad other people go through this!
    I sometimes feel bad for the coffee cups that I do not use often.
    If I'm in a store and I see a misplaced stuffed animal, or the last doll on a shelf, I feel sorry for it. 
    I vaguely remember being at Meijer with my mom when I was little and she took me to pick out a stuffed animal. I picked this cat one that was lying on the ground in the middle of the aisle. I felt bad for it because it looked abandoned and lonely. My mom was pretty sure it was a previously owned toy that someone had dropped on their way through because from what I remember it didn't have a tag and it looked pretty worn in. She tried to talk me out of it, but I wouldn't have any of it. Me and my little child-sized bleeding heart... That was the one I went home with, though I have no idea how my mom handled it as it probably wasn't store merchandise. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Regarding packing/wearing makeup: 

I've scheduled a waxing/facial brow appointment, hair cut and color, and mani/pedi strategically near my EDD, with consideration for the possibility of early labor. This is probably as vain or extreme as packing makeup, if not more. I actually wanted to do a lash tint and perm so at least I'd always look like I had mascara on, like if labor came on quickly, but was told I can't do that pregnant. 

ANYWAYS (d'oh!), for me it's in anticipation of postpartum depression and generally feeling good. I'm not at all the kind of person who can't be seen without makeup, in fact I go without it all the time. But as someone who works from home, has gone through a sweatpants phase doing so, and suffers from depression, I personally feel that a little self care and vanity can really lift your spirits and help you feel good about yourself. I do not in anyway base my entire self worth on my looks, but I know what my needs are psychologically. IMO things like making your bed in the morning or putting on a little mascara can set the tone of your day. How can it hurt to have highlights and great nails to counterbalance feeling a little physically deflated post birth? This probably sounds crazy to some, relatable to others. You get it if you get it.

I will probably pack a little makeup too (I don't see the stay being long enough to justify a hair dryer... solution: blowout and dry shampoo), however I will keep it basic. I have no intention of bring some giant ass Caboodle. Yes, I said Caboodle, lol. Of course this probably comes more from my feelings on overpacking, rather than fear of looking vain.
    I kinda love you after this. 
    I work at home during the day and at a gym at night-no joke, sweats are my "work clothes" which sounds nice, but can be really depressing after a year or so and realizing all you own is black yoga pants. 
  • Serenla said:
    tiffy81 said:
    I think donated breast milk is gross. I would never give my babies someone else's milk....yes I drink cows milk and some people think that's gross but I've been drinking cows milk for 30 years and I'm fine. Donated breast milk is just too sketchy for me. I honestly can't even believe it's a thing.

For premies donated breast milk over formula can prevent against very serious, possibly deadly infections. But you're right, it's SO gross. Let me call it off, hold on a second.
    I really do not understand, "well I have been drinking cows milk for 30 years so it is not gross but breastmilk is nasty!" I cannot wrapmy head around that one...
    I mean, I can. I eat cows, too, I don't eat people.

(The idea of) my own breastmilk grosses me out too. I understand the benefits, and would give donated milk to my preemie if medically warranted, but UGH. UGH UGH UGH HUMAN BODILY FLUIDS. 

I might be OCD, but it really weirds me out, so I sympathize with the sentiment if nothing else. 
  • I guess my (very) UO is that I don't understand make up, period. 

When men en-mass will feel the need to paint their faces I'll buy that it's not a societal imposition aimed solely at women. 
  • Holljade said:
    pinterest made me think i could make cake #1... instead I ended up with the cake you see in the pics 2&3. My daughter still enjoyed smashing her face in it, though.

This made me laugh because it's so me. Every DIY I ever attempt ends in "NAILED IT" meme style execution. 
    Lol I was so embarrassed. After this I kind of stopped trying to do all the cool DIY stuff. I was sick of everything coming out so bad! Trying to make every single thing perfect all the time and all hand made stressed me out! For this particular party I made all the cookies and cupcakes and that cake and it was just all a bit too much. 

• I guess my UO would be that I really don't care about other people's opinions all that much (family aside).  I have my opinion, you have yours, and after that I really don't give a damn. (Disclaimer: unless it's a flaming UO that is perpetuated by stupidity and needs to be burned at the stake. But I really haven't come across too many that get my blood boiling like that - can't even think of one right now.)  I just don't want to waste my time.

• I'll weigh in on makeup! I prob won't bother for the birth, because I've barely bothered since I got pregnant. Which I feel bad about, because I have all this awesome makeup wasting away. I love makeup but don't use it daily or even often. It's like dress-up to me. I love it and spend way too much money for products that make me happy and make me feel pretty, but wear it seldom and usually feel pretty anyway. Last year I was all about it, this year can't be bothered. I go in cycles and think it shouldn't be overthought. Makeup is fun! It shouldn't be the hinge on which our self-esteem hangs, (if I ever felt like I couldn't hit the grocery without some on I'd probably start rethinking some things) but it also shouldn't be a decisive issue between women. Also, I haven't worn any in months, but I do a killer smoky eye. I'll come and do all your makeups for the hospital! :D
    I always feel like a paint by number kit gone wrong when I attempt make up LOL! I had it done for our wedding and that was the last time I wore make up. We've been married almost 13 years.
  • Regarding packing/wearing makeup: 

I've scheduled a waxing/facial brow appointment, hair cut and color, and mani/pedi strategically near my EDD, with consideration for the possibility of early labor. This is probably as vain or extreme as packing makeup, if not more. I actually wanted to do a lash tint and perm so at least I'd always look like I had mascara on, like if labor came on quickly, but was told I can't do that pregnant. 

ANYWAYS (d'oh!), for me it's in anticipation of postpartum depression and generally feeling good. I'm not at all the kind of person who can't be seen without makeup, in fact I go without it all the time. But as someone who works from home, has gone through a sweatpants phase doing so, and suffers from depression, I personally feel that a little self care and vanity can really lift your spirits and help you feel good about yourself. I do not in anyway base my entire self worth on my looks, but I know what my needs are psychologically. IMO things like making your bed in the morning or putting on a little mascara can set the tone of your day. How can it hurt to have highlights and great nails to counterbalance feeling a little physically deflated post birth? This probably sounds crazy to some, relatable to others. You get it if you get it.

I will probably pack a little makeup too (I don't see the stay being long enough to justify a hair dryer... solution: blowout and dry shampoo), however I will keep it basic. I have no intention of bring some giant ass Caboodle. Yes, I said Caboodle, lol. Of course this probably comes more from my feelings on overpacking, rather than fear of looking vain.
    I kinda love you after this. 
    I work at home during the day and at a gym at night-no joke, sweats are my "work clothes" which sounds nice, but can be really depressing after a year or so and realizing all you own is black yoga pants. 
    I hear ya. My pre-pregnancy wardrobe was all work out clothes. I'm a personal trainer and that's all I own.
  • 1. I wear makeup about 5 times a year, if that, so there is no way I will be hauling it to the hospital.  That said, when I had DS, I had long hair that I was able to braid and it still looked decent after I gave birth.  This time I have been growing out a pixie cut, it is now at the awkward stage where it falls into my face, and I can't really do anything with it.  I want to keep growing it, but I'm thinking about cutting it again so I don't have to deal with it bugging me while I'm in labor and taking care of a newborn.

2. I had an excess of frozen milk that DS wasn't going to use, so I happily donated it on our local Milk Sharing site.  I felt good being able to do that and knowing that a baby was benefiting from my milk.  I also plan to pump extra to donate this time to our local milk bank.  However, I would rather feed my child formula than actually use milk from one of those informal milk donation sites. Yes, I realize this might make me sound hypocritical, and I don't judge the women who use get milk for their LO's that way.

3.  DS is not circumcised.  When my brother saw me change his diaper for the first time, he asked why we didn't get him circumcised.  I told him our reasoning, and added on that there were so many nerves in the foreskin that sex is supposed to be more pleasurable for intact men. (I honestly don't know where I heard this, but I know I read or saw it somewhere sometime, so it must be true, right?)  Anyway, my brother turns to my Mom and asks for his foreskin back!

4.  When I was just entering the work force, I used PP for my annual exams and to get birth control.  Our local PP branch has a "Pledge a Protester" campaign.  You can fill out a pledge form and donate a certain dollar amount to PP every time the protesters show up!  I think it is a brilliant idea.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Someone called for abortion. Okay, so I'm getting really fucking tired of seeing the "Defund Planned Parenthood" memes floating around my Facebook and I'm about to go PSA on everyone when I calm down. I'm so ticked about it right now that I can't stop stammering long enough to start arguing as to why this is so stupid - maybe because it's common sense. If I hadn't had access to Planned Parenthood when I was a poor college student with no health insurance, I may have been pregnant a loooong time ago. They were the only reason I was able to get my yearly exams as well. Defunding Planned Parenthood would just be targeting low-income women and it disgusts me.

edit - oh, and I'm so mad I couldn't even make this relate to abortion. Christian Conservatives want to defund PP because they're the largest abortion provider in the US, even though, as far as I know, there's a law that bars federal funds to pay for abortion services.
    Oh lord, facepalm all the way. I too used Planned Parenthood when I was a poor college student, yet I've never had any abortions. Funny how that works, right? 

DITTO- had no insurance and got annual exams and birth control. I <3 PP.

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • I'll weigh in on makeup! I prob won't bother for the birth, because I've barely bothered since I got pregnant. Which I feel bad about, because I have all this awesome makeup wasting away. I love makeup but don't use it daily or even often. It's like dress-up to me. I love it and spend way too much money for products that make me happy and make me feel pretty, but wear it seldom and usually feel pretty anyway. Last year I was all about it, this year can't be bothered. I go in cycles and think it shouldn't be overthought. Makeup is fun! It shouldn't be the hinge on which our self-esteem hangs, (if I ever felt like I couldn't hit the grocery without some on I'd probably start rethinking some things) but it also shouldn't be a decisive issue between women. Also, I haven't worn any in months, but I do a killer smoky eye. I'll come and do all your makeups for the hospital! :D
    I was just going to ask who would come do my makeup for me. I have no problems with people wearing it, or myself wearing it, but I don't want to actually have to DO MY makeup!
    Me too! I selfishly wish one of my friends lived closer. While I avoid going out to dinner with her and her DH because she drives me crazy (must "one-up" everything anyone else says) she is a cosmetologist and is wicked good at doing my hair and make-up! I will sit and listen to her crap for hours if it means I get my hair and make-up done! :)
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• Five pages and I'm disappointed!

I looked like death after giving birth to my son and the pictures show it. I still won't be bringing makeup though bc I'm out in 4 hours after delivery and I can always throw some on if If feel like it when I get home.

I give money to PP every year but I have recently had trouble with the idea of financially supporting abortions in the second trimester. I don't judge those women but I feel uncomfortable about giving money to abortions that are so late in pregnancy. However I do know a very small % is used for abortions and the majority of my money is being used for awesome and necessary services. I guess I'm at a place where I need to do some more research and figure out a way to reconcile the heartache of a late abortion with all the other major benefits. Sigh.

I feel sorry for my vibrator. It hasn't seen action in so long, I've thought about turning it on just to make it feel more appreciated.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Serenla said:

Someone called for abortion. Okay, so I'm getting really fucking tired of seeing the "Defund Planned Parenthood" memes floating around my Facebook and I'm about to go PSA on everyone when I calm down. I'm so ticked about it right now that I can't stop stammering long enough to start arguing as to why this is so stupid - maybe because it's common sense. If I hadn't had access to Planned Parenthood when I was a poor college student with no health insurance, I may have been pregnant a loooong time ago. They were the only reason I was able to get my yearly exams as well. Defunding Planned Parenthood would just be targeting low-income women and it disgusts me.

edit - oh, and I'm so mad I couldn't even make this relate to abortion. Christian Conservatives want to defund PP because they're the largest abortion provider in the US, even though, as far as I know, there's a law that bars federal funds to pay for abortion services.

Ragey ragey ragey! This pissed me off. This info I'm about to spew is a few years old so it might not be accurate now but, PP actually used private donated funds for their D&Cs not public funding.
    Apparently poor people are not allowed to have access to health services either.
    Not that this makes it right by any means, but I imagine this could either be a CYA on PP's part, or stipulated somewhere in the funding agreements, since a D&C is the exact same procedure used with an early abortion. So long as that procedure isn't getting the funding that it doesn't 'deserve' then they don't have to jump through hoops to prove when it was a m/c followed by a medically indicated D&C as opposed to an abortion.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • J&NL said:
    I think this may have been said before, but I think birth plans are stupid. Plan on this: being disappointed, bitter, or having a traumatic birth experience because things didn't go as you planned in your 10 page detailed birth plan(s) that have been typed out and photocopied for all staff/attendees.
    Idk. I think mine is pretty epic. I'm thinking of laminating it and everything.
    My doula wants me to write a birth plan out. I kind of just want to make a list of things I don't want to happen, as opposed to writing out a full plan. The little details don't really matter because I'm the type to voice my opinion and wants when I need to but as far as the big ones like delayed chord clamping and things like that, I'll write down for them. Mainly because I feel like if I don't I'll forget.
    @J&amp;NL: This is what I did, but instead of a list of only don'ts, I started with a list of Do's and then tried to do only a few don'ts.  I did this last pregnancy, too, and it really worked well.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My UO (and I know it is completely irrational) is that I feel weird about breastfeeding a boy baby and didn't have those feelings about breastfeeding DD. I'm still going to do it, but I'm sure it's a UO to feel differently about breastfeeding depending on the sex of the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"