Parenting
Options

thought of 2 in daycare

lurker coming in....my board is slowly dying, so I thought I'd post this here. 

DH and I are talking about TTC #2 very soon...like June.  I looked at my BC supply last night - I have 1 week left in this pack, and then 2 full packs.  So that would get us to the middle of May.  So we were thinking...let's just go for it.

But the thought of 2 in daycare is scaring me!!  We pay $185/week for DS now.  Unless we can get a "family discount" or something, we would be paying $370/week for 2.  I know...some people have to pay that amount for just 1 kid.  But DH doesn't make that much money....like he would be taking home maybe $250 more a month than daycare costs.  I love daycare.  I think it has been so great for Sam, I don't want to pull him out and have DH stay at home.

Do we just suck it up for the year or so that we have 2 in daycare?  And we'll just make it work, like we made it work when baby #1 came along?  DH has been actively looking for a new job and I have been thinking about looking too.  So I guess our financial situation could change before #2 comes along.

Sorry so long....just needed to talk this out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

Re: thought of 2 in daycare

• Options
    ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited March 2014
    Well first, ask about the discount.  You may be surprised.  We save 15% off our total bill when having two enrolled.  Then it comes down to your goals.  Your DH will be bringing home some money and you say you'll only have two in care for a year?  It sounds like it doesn't make financial sense for him to quit unless he has a profession where he'd easily be able to gain new employment in a year.  Keep in mind though that once the kids are in school, unless your schedule helps you avoid it, you're likely still looking at at least some kind of before and after school care.  I know for us, we're going to pay MORE when we have one in school and one in daycare :-(
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    You also have to factor in that price goes down as the kid moves up to the next class (or at least that's how it is here). So if you get KU on cycle 1, your DS will be just over 2.5, so his class could be $165 instead. Not a huge difference per week, but still, $20 a week for a year is $1,040 that you'd be saving.

I'd definitely ask about the discount. Our old DC offered 10%, but our new one doesn't offer one at all.
    DD {6.13.10} & DS {5.19.12}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"