Military Families
Options

What to do with older child when you go into labor?

We are expecting baby #2 this fall, and I'm trying to figure out what we are going to do with our older one (will almost be 2) when I go into labor. We have been here almost 2 years, but we don't have any close close friends that have experience with toddlers or have the ability to come over at the drop of a hat when I go into labor. Who knows what time of day this will all happen, so someone would have to be able to feed her and take care of her during the day, or come to the house at 3am. We don't have family anywhere close so I'm wondering if anyone else was ever in this situation and how they dealt with it. Do I pay for an on-call nanny? There are so many unknowns I'm trying to wrap my head around I was hoping someone else went through this thought process and could help.

Re: What to do with older child when you go into labor?

• Options
    Do you have an FRG or Ombudsman?  With my husband's unit, we have a group of ladies who volunteer to do this.  Mom to be calls the FRSA or her Key Caller to set up with some one on the list or posts the need on our FRG FB page a couple months out.  Some one who lives near them will volunteer and will begin meeting with them or hanging out so they are all comfortable with each other if they don't already know each other.  I'd try that first.  If y'all don't have something like that available, I'd ask around or hire an on call.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've never even heard of those types of groups, that's so amazing you have that! What branch are you with?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think FRG is Army (I'm pretty sure). My H is Air Force, and for what you're talking about I would contact my Key Spouse. Mine actually happens to be a friend, but even if she wasn't, that's the person who would probably be able to point me in the direction of finding someone.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We were very lucky. At the time I was pregnant with DS we were stationed remotely, but lived in an area with a bunch of military retirees. They always watched out for us and gave me a list of all their numbers for when I went into labor. They ended up working it out amongst themselves that one would watch DD during the day and another would stay with her at night at our house.

Do you know your neighbors very well? How about other military wives? They should be able to point you in the right direction or may even be willing to help. I know a request to babysit during labor went out recently on our local military wives FB page and she had a ton of offers to help. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am having a scheduled c/s so my mom is going to come for it and watch dd. But if I go into labor before she gets here I am going to ask a friend if she will watch her. I agree with PPs about asking the other wives you know to point you in the right direction, I'm sure this issue comes up quite often. We have a FRG and whenever something like this comes up we all get an email asking for volunteers and there are always plenty of people willing to help. Even if you don't have a FRG or similar group I'm sure there are plenty of ladies who would be willing to watch your LO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Maybe I will contact the Key Spouses and see if they can help. I'm the military member in our family (my husband separated last year) so I'm not really close to any of the wives in the area. I'm sure it'll become clearer once we get closer to the date for what we should do. I appreciate the responses! Hearing from you guys that there are plenty of people who are willing to help makes me feel better.
  • Options
    Even though you are the military member I am sure the wives of the other military members, or other women in your unit, would be more than happy to help or point you in the right direction!  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"