1st Trimester

First ultrasound.. dissapointed

So I thought I was going on 13 weeks pregnant! today was my first ultrasound and I was so excited! after she measured everything she went to speak to the doctor and she brought my husband in. all we saw was the sack and she measured me about 6 weeks. since my period is irregular she wants me in next week to make sure everything is growing.

I'm super worried that its a phantom pregnancy.. did you guys see your baby the first ultrasound or did you just see the sack. I'm really worried now..

Re: First ultrasound.. dissapointed

• on Jan 26th and I took a second on the 28th, both positive

• Loading the player...
  • If you got a positive on January 26, you could have ovulated two weeks before that around the 12th. That would put you at 6.5 weeks now. So it is very possible that everything is ok. I know it will be hard to wait, but hopefully everything is ok. 
  • Yea I'm just scared there is nothing in there since my last period was Nov 30th..

• You could ask them to check you betas and run bloodwork. That would tell you if your numbers are rising correctly. If your doctor won't do it you could always go to an urgent care place. They will check betas. 
  • This is similar to what I'm experiencing. I had an u/s Monday with only a sac. I go back this coming Monday to check for progress. I did have blood work to check that my hcg was doubling appropriately and that checks out. So fingers crossed we both see a happy baby with a nice heartbeat next time :)

3rd pregnancy -- 1st baby -- praying for a rainbow

#1 EDD 5/2014 -- MMC 10weeks ~~ #2 EDD 10/2014 -- Our baby girl, born sleeping 17weeks ~~ #3 EDD 8/2015

• @rlyttle why should she do that? It is a waste of time and money. Her Dr is already having a follow up U/S. She wasn't charting and has no idea when she ovulated. All they are going to do is call it a 'threatened miscarriage' and tell her to follow up with her OB.
    Why would she do what? 

Yes @carseat you are correct. I forgot to add those other 2 weeks. I just glanced at the calendar. 
  • But you (OP) wrote on Jan. 30th that "your doctor called and confirmed you were 8 weeks pregnant", how did he confirm how far along you were on the 30th of Jan. if this is your first ultrasound? I am lost.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• rlyttle said:
    If you got a positive on January 26, you could have ovulated two weeks before that around the 12th. That would put you at 6.5 weeks now. So it is very possible that everything is ok. I know it will be hard to wait, but hopefully everything is ok. 
    If she got a positive on January 26, the least far along she could be is if she got the + at, say, 10dpo (maybe 8-9 but 10 seems more likely) and ovulated around January 16.  This puts her at 7w6d today. 
    Only seeing a sac at this point does not look good, regardless of her ovulation date (since it can't be much after Jan. 16 for a +test on Jan. 26).

It's not a phantom pregnancy, but it might be a blighted ovum. 
    I'm sorry you are going through this.
    :( I'm sorry you have to go through this op. I had a blighted ovum last year, and carried for almost 16 weeks before my body did anything it was supposed to do. If worst case scenario happens, and it isn't viable, make sure you talk about all your options with your doctor about speeding up the process, because it's miserably depressing to wait it out if your body wants to hold onto it. 

Hoping the best for you! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My first positive pregnancy test was January 23rd and at my first u/s ( a week ago) I was told I was 6 weeks. I panicked and spent the next 24 hours worried sick because it wasn't where I thought I was at all and I was sure something was wrong. I was charting and I was almost positive I should've been almost 8 weeks. I' had H call my doctors office to get some answers the following day and it put my mind at ease some. I'm having another ultrasound next week because of a sub chronic hematoma and I'm trying not to worry too much until then. I sort of know what you're going through, but they were able to find the baby as well as a heartbeat for me. Sorry you are in limbo, I hope everything works out for you. The other girls had some great suggestions of things that you could possibly do in the meantime.
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • Hoping the very best for you! I cannot imagine what you're going through. My first ultrasound was when I was 6w3d and we saw baby and got to hear the heartbeat (vaginal ultrasound, obviously) since I am at high risk due to a previous loss.

I find it so hard to believe they can "guesstimate" how far along we are when we're just finding out we're pregnant. That's the toughest part. That's why after I had a miscarry, I ALWAYS track my periods on an app on my phone. Just for situations like this.

Again, praying everything works out for the best for you! Keep your head up.
  • Disregard the poster about going to the ER. That is horrible advice. They will just DX "threatened miscarriage" & send you home.

Wait it out. I know it's hard but it's all you can do. You can ask your doctor to run betas, but one blood draw doesn't tell you much. You'd have to go in over a period of days. So, it is an option-- but all you can do is ask.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• rlyttle said:
    You could ask them to check you betas and run bloodwork. That would tell you if your numbers are rising correctly. If your doctor won't do it you could always go to an urgent care place. They will check betas. 
    No they won't. They don't have a lab on site at urgent care. 

Oh look, you babbling about things you are completely ignorant about. How...you.

Not saying that going to urgent care is a good idea, but the urgent cares where I live have on site labs. I've been 3 times, and they've checked my betas every time. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • rlyttle said:
    If you got a positive on January 26, you could have ovulated two weeks before that around the 12th. That would put you at 6.5 weeks now. So it is very possible that everything is ok. I know it will be hard to wait, but hopefully everything is ok. 
    Actually that would make you 8.5 weeks (you are two weeks pregnant at ovulation the way it is calculated)... Fingers crossed for you but it doesn't look good.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• rlyttle said:
    You could ask them to check you betas and run bloodwork. That would tell you if your numbers are rising correctly. If your doctor won't do it you could always go to an urgent care place. They will check betas. 
    No they won't. They don't have a lab on site at urgent care. 

Oh look, you babbling about things you are completely ignorant about. How...you.

Not saying that going to urgent care is a good idea, but the urgent cares where I live have on site labs. I've been 3 times, and they've checked my betas every time. 
    Same here.
  • I ovulated around 1/20 and I had my first sonogram on Tuesday. I was exactly 7 weeks and the baby was very clear (vaginal) and the heartbeat was 131/bpm just to give you an idea of someone close to your bfp. Wishing you lots of luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I had a similar situation happen to me last year.  I thought that I was around 9 weeks but they dated me closer to 5 weeks at my first u/s.  They did 2 beta draws which were increasing at a good rate so they sent me in for another u/s and there was still nothing...I ended up having to have a d & c because my body wouldn't naturally miscarry.  T & P that everything turns out alright for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AggieBeth06AggieBeth06 member
    edited March 2014
    car seat said:

rlyttle said:

This isn't right. You're two weeks pregnant when you ovulate, assuming you conceive that cycle. Allowing that she was 10dpo when she tested she'd be 8 weeks tomorrow, so there should be an embryo with a heartbeat at the very least. 

OP, I hope this works out. I'm sorry for the scare, and this could turn around, but you should prepare yourself for the possibility that this pregnancy might not develop. I'm sorry. 

Y'all do realize that early u/s can be inaccurate, right?

ETA: I learned on another thread that there can be a 3-7 day margin of error on early transvaginal ultrasounds.

I don't think it's fair to say this exactly at this point although the difference between 6 and 10 weeks is pretty big.

OP, how irregular are your periods? Were they able to detect a HB or did they attempt to?

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• I know my date of conception and got a positive pee test on January 26 as well. I will be 9 weeks tomorrow and at 8 weeks I measured 6w2d but there was a 140 heart beat. Just to give you some info around the same dates. If nov. 30 was your last Period why did you wait until jan 26 to take a test? Just curious. My last period was dec. 31. And we conceived on January 13. Ill know tomorrow where everything stands. Thinking of you!!
  • I had an abdominal US at 8 weeks showed only a sac so they scheduled another US a week later and we had another abdominal US and saw baby and heart beat! My uterus is retroverted(tilted backward) so in that week my uterus became a little heavier to allow it to move forward and get a good image. Sometimes with transvaginal US if your uterus is antiverted(tilted forward) it makes it hard to see so abdominal us better. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • so sadly I lost my baby on Wednesday.. still trying to cope with the lost of my first little one

• Oh I'm so sorry. I had my first loss in November, and it's such a sad and difficult time. Utilize your support system and take the time to grieve.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"