Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

tubes

Any experiences with ear tubes yet? DD is getting them next week at 10 months. We've had multiple rounds of antibiotics since November, and we have not been able to clear up this infection. Anyone else get them this young? Was it worth it? Did LO sleep better after getting the tubes?

Re: tubes

• Options
    My son also may be getting tubes, my friends daughter got them and her baby also is getting them in a few weeks, she said it helped tremendously.
  • Options
    JGYJGY member
    Scheduling the surgery today for my (almost) 10 month old.  We tried to delay and were going to explore some other things to try to get the drainage system to work better, but then we got hit with another whopper (complete with high fever) and decided to just go for it.  Everyone that we know that has done the surgery had great results.  My biggest concern is that we will have to have our son fast before the procedure (general anesthesia requires it) and I'm not looking forward to that.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tell me about it on the fasting! Definitely not looking forward to dealing with a hungry, cranky LO the morning of the surgery. But it will be worth it in the long run (at least that's what everyone says).
  • Options
    we have an appt with ENT tomorrow to talk tubes - she's had 5 ear infections since 4 mo.  does it really help sleep??
    photo 3104d09c-3cc7-4177-aed6-da3344fdf17f_zpsbb1f9ce7.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

we have an appt with ENT tomorrow to talk tubes - she's had 5 ear infections since 4 mo.  does it really help sleep??

DD is often restless at night and wakes several times. I'm hoping that it's just her ears bothering her. The pressure from fluid buildup can be worse at night.
  • Options
    I could've written this post.  We've been struggling with ear infections since Nov, too.  Yesterday, she woke up with a 103.6 degree fever and, guess what?  A double ear infection!  Complete with pink eye!  And we'd just finished a round of antibiotics last Friday.  We're going to see the ENT doctor next week.  Hopefully, he'll be able to get her all fixed up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our daughter was 13 months when she got tubes all for the same reasons everyone lists. Best thing we could have done! Quick procedure and hasn't had an ear infection since (she's 3 now).
    CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Hey STL Cards fan - love your profile pick (go cards!).  We had tubes placed this past January and have been a god-send.  NO antibiotics after 5 rounds pre-tubes.  Some drainage here and there.  We used Dr. Randall Clary (Mercy - STL) and he's been great.
  • Options
    Has anyone's doctor mentioned daily antibiotics as opposed to tubes?  Both of my kids have had 3 ear infections in the past 6 weeks.  At the last check up I asked at what point do they consider tubes. The doctor said that more than 3 ear infections in a season is a concern and that they try daily antibiotics before tubes, due to the risk of tubes (surgery, expense, they fall out).  That was the first I have heard of that course of treatment.

• Options
    My 2 year old got tubes at 10 months and his 10 month old sister is following in his footsteps next week :( However, I will say the tubes were life changing! He has only had 1 ear infection in 18 months (he had RSV) versus basically an ear infection every 3-4 weeks. The surgery is literally 10 minutes and they wake up a bit cranky and sleep for a few hours post discharge but are back to normal by the afternoon. Make sure your ENT books the first surgery of the day so the going without food is the shortest amount of time possible (no food after midnight and no liquids 6 hours before surgery). Good luck!!
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

As a follow up, we had the tubes put in on 2/14 and since then he has had 2 more double ear infections.  Thanks to the tubes, the infection now drains out of the ear.  Unfortunately due to the tubes, the infection now drains out of the ear.  ;)  Seriously it's disgusting.

Anyway, they haven't been life changing for us.  He still gets infections and he still sleeps like crap.  But the good news is that we can now treat any subsequent infections with drops, rather than oral antibiotics.  And in my world, that's a big win.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"