November 2012 Moms
Options

Sound Machines and Hearing Loss

Just saw this article and thought it was something I should share:

https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/03/health/noise-machines-study/

Thoughts?

Re: Sound Machines and Hearing Loss

• Options
    I read that too and while I am happy to know about the study, we never put ours on max volume and its clear across her room, closer to the door to block out the noise we make.  

This study was conducted at max volume and our machine is super loud at max...

def good to be aware.  

• Options
    I've never used a sound machine/white noise/humidifier/fan etc. to help my kids sleep.

I know a lot of adults that rely on continuous background noise to sleep well. But I'm the opposite.
    I get irritated, agitated and cranky if there is noise all the time.
    I would rather sit in silence all day, than hear something going (radio/tv).

I can't say whether I agree that it's all that bad, but I personally prefer to avoid it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If something is so loud that it can cause hearing loss, I'd hope that the parents realize that it's too loud and turn it down. I don't see how someone couldn't recognize something that loud being a problem  :-?

• Options
    AmberEA14 said:

If something is so loud that it can cause hearing loss, I'd hope that the parents realize that it's too loud and turn it down. I don't see how someone couldn't recognize something that loud being a problem  :-?

Oh yeah, I agree with this as well.

And to add to my comment above.... When I am listening to something, the volume is still so low that you can still carry on a conversation without raising your voice...and other people ask me to turn up the volume on the music/tv.
    (That's how much I dislike noise)
  • Options
    kbl13kbl13 member
    When I first got LO's sound machine I couldn't believe how loud the volume could go... I can't imagine parents would actually put it on max volume for their babies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ya, I can't imagine someone putting the machine on that loud either. Until we moved we lived in a little under 400 sq feet. If we didn't run a sound machine, we couldn't move after the baby went to sleep. It did the job and we ditched it when we moved to a larger place.

The only thing I noticed about the white noise sound during that period was that when the machine shut off, I automatically felt much more at ease. I could see the sound being stressful. I could only see it as contributing to hearing damage if the volume were cranked way up.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"