April 2014 Moms
Options

Labor bag: towels, blow dryer, pump

I will contact the hospital if this differs by hospital, but does anyone know if I have to pack a towel for showers? I'm guessing they won't have a blow dryer. Of course doing my hair won't be a high priority but I hate sitting around with a wet mop.
Also, am I suppose to bring my own pump or will the hospital provide one while I'm there?
Thanks!

Re: Labor bag: towels, blow dryer, pump

• Options
    bring your own hair dryer.  hospital will have towels but i agree with ksulli... if comfort is key, you might feel better if you have your own.  i didn't need to pump while i was in the hospital... assuming all goes well and you don't have any latch issues, you might not even be engorged by the time you leave.  for any issues, the hospital will provide all you need for pumping and breast care.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hospital even provides hair dryers so you can ask if yours does if you want one less thing to pack.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think I'll bring a towel, but I might bring my manual pump (easy to pack and easy to sanitize later).  I don't normally use a blow dryer, so don't plan on bringing that either.

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yea agree with pp. your going to be a little nasty and you don't want to mess up towels. You can always ask for a few more and just use more than one towel. I did bring my own soaps, lotion, shampoos bc it will be one of the best showers you ever take. Bring a blow dryer if you want, mine doesn't provide them. But I just showered the night before and let my hair air dry.
  • Options
    Glad you guys said this about towels. I can bring my old ones I was about to throw away because they look gross. (I have some that are stained with hair dye. I can just throw them out after!)
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Options
    I work in the hospital I will (hopefully!) be delivering in...

I will definitely be bringing my own towel! no way am I using the ones provided - barely enough to cover my butt! Good idea to bring ones that you will throw away. Hospitals are usually so foreign an environment its nice to have SOMETHING from home. 

I will actually be bringing my own pillow as well as the ones provided are all plastic covered, ick! But I know how well the maternity rooms are kept clean so have no issues with this at all. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    I'm packing a blow dryer, but no towel or pillow.. I'm not about to bring any of those germs home with me and my new baby. I can get over the hospital towels and pillows not being ideal for a night or 2.. I will bring a robe though and some sweat pants I don't mind getting gross... figured the robe will help with nursing easier.
  • Options
    My hospital has the blow dryer. I will definitely shower, but probably won't wash my hair while I'm there anyways. I will be using their towels. I bled a lot after DD and wouldn't want to ruin mine. Yeah, they aren't super fluffy and soft, but I'm okay with that. I was going to bring my pump, but that's because I'm crazy lazy about reading directions and I would rather have the nurses just show me how to work it.
  • Options
    I have a stupid question....My hospital gave us a list of what to pack and they listed a bath robe. Do you guys think this is necessary? I just feel like a bath robe would take up a lot of room in the bag....
  • Options
    My hospital has a blow dryer, but they are the yucky hotel style ones that aren't very good.  I'm packing my own blow dryer and flat iron.  

I'm packing my own towel.  I know I'll want something soft and comfortable, not scratchy and thin. 

I'm definitely bringing my own pillow.  I don't understand the germs argument.  The hospital germs will be on the pillow they provide, their sheets, towels, and everything else.  You'll be bringing those germs with you on your body when you return home, as will the baby.  All the blankets, clothing, and diapers that the baby uses will also have germs.  

I don't think a robe is necessary.  I think a lot of people use bath robes, so they recommend it.  I looked at the hospital list and some of the items don't apply to me.  I don't own slippers and hate them, so I'm not buying ones for the hospital.  
  • Options
    I'm bringing my own pillow for sure. The ones at the hospital are horrible. I would not have slept at all if I didn't have my own. I could not get comfortable until SO brought me mine.
  • Options
    You might want the bathrobe if you're able to get up and walk during labor- otherwise you risk your butt hanging out of the hospital gown.  I also liked that I had mine because I wore it over tshirts to keep warm when walking back and forth from my room to the NICU. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• Options
    @danamarie421‌ I didn't bring a bathrobe, but to keep my backside covered wore two hospital gowns- one facing front & one facing back.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    Our hospital towels are like the size of hand towels and super scratchy. Definitely packing my own.

If you will want to dry your hair, bring your own dryer -- I just braided mine or put it in a bun.

I needed a pump (NICU baby) but used the hospital's. I prefer that because it's the industrial work horse variety and really helps your milk come in (I had supply issues in the beginning).

I'd skip the bathrobe. Although if you walk te halls while in labor, you will want something that covers your tush (I plan on packing crummy yoga pants I don't mind getting gunky.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Never thought of the bathrobe for walking around during labor... Was just thinking of shower situation. Bathrobe has now been added to my bag!
  • Options
    I'm planning on getting new towels, washcloths, pillows, etc for the hospital and just tossing them afterwards. At tj max or other discount stores they carry these things for fairly cheap. My comfort is worth a few extra bucks for sure!
  • Options
    I have a stupid question....My hospital gave us a list of what to pack and they listed a bath robe. Do you guys think this is necessary? I just feel like a bath robe would take up a lot of room in the bag....
    ours suggested the same thing so that if you want to walk around the halls you won't have to get fully dressed again or have your butt hanging out of a hospital gown. Not strictly necessary but it might be nice
  • Options
    ksulli said:

Hospital will provide a pump if you need it. Assuming baby is well, you'll just nurse and not pump. Engorgement isn't pleasant, but pumping to relieve it will only create a vicious cycle.

they should provide a towel, but it might be small & not very soft, so bringing your own can't hurt.

Viscous cycle? What do you mean?

• Options
    jessech89 said:

ksulli said:

Hospital will provide a pump if you need it. Assuming baby is well, you'll just nurse and not pump. Engorgement isn't pleasant, but pumping to relieve it will only create a vicious cycle.

they should provide a towel, but it might be small & not very soft, so bringing your own can't hurt.

Viscous cycle? What do you mean?

If you pump to relieve engorgement, you will produce more milk since it is all supply and demand. Thus leading to more engorgement. I would just hand express a small amount if you're too engorged for baby to latch on.

I didn't bring any of those things last time, but might bring my hair dryer this time so I can look decent. Towels didn't bother me...I'd rather not bleed all over my own towels and don't want to waste money on a towel I'm just going to throw away afterwards.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    @jessech89‌ the vicious cycle is what @strawberrytree said- the more milk you express, the more milk you make. So if you pump to relieve engorgement, your body thinks baby wants to eat that much, and will continue to make that much, leading you to be engorged again, and pump again, all in excess of what baby needed. Best thing to do is nurse baby on demand for about 4w and then if you want to start pumping in addition to create a freezer stash you can get on a schedule.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I'm going to be bringing an old towel from home.  Before DH and I got together, I had a pink bathroom.  Since we have moved in together, he won't use them and we changed the colors, so they are still in pretty good shape and fairly new.  I wouldn't be upset if I ruined the towel or left it behind.

We just replaced our bed pillows, but I kept one of them to take the hospital.  I also wouldn't be hurt if it got ruined or left behind. 

I am glad the bring the breast pump was covered, because I was wondering the same thing.  I really didn't want to drag it up there if I didn't need it.  We live 10-15 min from the hospital, and the ILs live 4 houses down from us, so if it comes up that I do need it, I will have them bring it up or DH run and go get it.

• Options
    As far as bringing a robe so you're not hanging out while walking the halls, last time I just got a secnd hospital gown that I wore backwards (open in front) over the other one. I try to bring as little of my own stuff as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"