2nd Trimester
Options

Metformin

Anyone been taking metformin during pregnancy for anything besides diabetes? I ran out of refills on mine and because I switched to a birth center I can't get a refill. I've seen several sites that recommend discontinued use after the 1st trimester so since I'm almost to my 3rd trimester is there any risk of stopping it? I was on it to help me ovulate.

Re: Metformin

• Options
    I was on it for PCOS.  My doctor had me discontinue use at week 12 of pregnancy.  She explained to me that in the first trimester, Metformin can reduce your risk of miscarriage as well.  However, my doctor was also the one to prescribe the Metformin so everything was at her direction.

Since you wren't on it for diabetes, it may be safe for you to stop taking it but if you can consult a doctor, that would really be the best.  Everyone is different and a doctor can properly advise you on if you should or shouldn't continue!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB put me on it for PCOS as well for the insulin resistance. I took it until week 16. She said I coud stop at 12 but I had just refilled my rx so I took it until I ran out.

27 y/o - Dx with PCOS 7/10/13 - Started on Metformin 8/26/13.

BFP - 11/19/13      EDD - 7/18/14

Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on it for pcos as well. I was told to keep taking it. It can't hurt to keep taking it and will decrease the chances of GD
  • Options
    I was also on metformin for PCOS, for 3-6 months prior to conceiving both of my pregnancies. Each time my RE & OB told me to stop it around 12 weeks, which I did. 
  • Options
    I was on it for PCOS as well and my doctor had me stop taking it between 12-13 weeks.
  • Options
    I was taking Metformin for PCOS and my doctor said it was ok to take it throughout the 1st trimester, but to stop at the 2nd.  I didn't want to risk anything, so I just stopped taking it as soon as I got a positive result on my test.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"