April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• CalinAZ said:
    Question that it feels like I should know the answer to - do I need to be buying bibs for my baby? I assume I'll need them when he starts to eat solids, but do you need them right away?

Not sure if this is something I should throw on my registry. 
    K spit up all the time so we actually needed way more bibs before he ever got to eating actual food.  The bib keeps you from having to change their outfits all the time because they spit up and now smell like sour milk.  I would buy a few in case you need them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Also some babies are drool machines. My little sister would soak her shirt in drool in five minutes or less. It was pretty gross. Having a bunch of cheap bibs was a must. DS didnt drool as much as she did but when he was getting his first few teeth they were helpful in keeping his clothes dry.

also everything everyone else said about the sour milk smell.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • This question seems really stupid, but here goes. If baby is in my room in the hospital (as opposed to the nursery), should I be changing her diapers? Or do the nurses do that? Also, I seem to remember reading that there are not a lot of diaper changes in the first day or two - true?

• JNova78 said:
    This question seems really stupid, but here goes. If baby is in my room in the hospital (as opposed to the nursery), should I be changing her diapers? Or do the nurses do that? Also, I seem to remember reading that there are not a lot of diaper changes in the first day or two - true?
    You or DH change diapers.  The nurses can show you how to do it properly.  Nurses showed DH and he did all of them for the first 4 days since I had a cs.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• This seems like a really dumb thing to even think about so I guess I am on the right thread to ask... I am 34w5days and I feel like my belly has gotten noticeably smaller the last few days. To me it looks and feels the size it was weeks (or more) ago. I will ask my OB at my appointment on Monday but have you guys ever experienced this?The only thing I can think of is this being a sign of low fluid or dehydration? I think I am just driving my self crazy ;)
  • poru said:

Revisiting an old conversation from a couple days ago. Had my appointment and asked doc about post delivery pitocion and she said yes I would have had it and it's standard. It would have gone in IV bag. Nurses ask permission but really the women who go natural are the ones that really focus and are more aware it's happening because they don't have an IV bag setup already so they get a shot. She said very few people opt out.

Learn something new everyday. I was a mess after my ECS so I don't remember much. But funny that none of my vaginal delivery friends remember either. I even did a poll.

I know I had it after, but I only knew this because it was labeled pitocin right on the bag and I had been on it before delivery also.
  • JNova78 said:

This question seems really stupid, but here goes. If baby is in my room in the hospital (as opposed to the nursery), should I be changing her diapers? Or do the nurses do that? Also, I seem to remember reading that there are not a lot of diaper changes in the first day or two - true?

I didn't change any diapers at all until DD went home, but she was in the NICU so maybe they don't let you there. I did all her feedings, but no diapers.
  • poru said:

JNova78 said:

I didn't change any diapers at all until DD went home, but she was in the NICU so maybe they don't let you there. I did all her feedings, but no diapers.

LO spent lots of time in the NICU and some time in our room. I was also CS recovery.  The nurses always did changes in NICU, and did some in my room when baby was there.  DH did some too though.  But the nurses always checked and voluntarily did it when they came in the room.  I didn't change a diaper till we went home :)

I never really thought about it before! They probably do all the NICU changes for fear of germs.
  • poru said:

poru said:

JNova78 said:

LO spent lots of time in the NICU and some time in our room. I was also CS recovery.  The nurses always did changes in NICU, and did some in my room when baby was there.  DH did some too though.  But the nurses always checked and voluntarily did it when they came in the room.  I didn't change a diaper till we went home :)
    I never really thought about it before! They probably do all the NICU changes for fear of germs.

eme520 aren't you a NICU nurse? Are there rules for changing diapers out of curiosity?

Yeah! I'm curious too. DD was my first baby so I just assumed that was normal.
  • ebie79 said:
    Topic: Changing pad on the dresser

*I'm right-handed if it makes a difference*

1. What kind did you get - 2-sided, 3-sided, or 4-sided?

2. Is one easier than another to change the baby on?

3. If you do go 3-sided, how is the baby supposed to lay? With its head or feet at the end with the 3rd side?

I thought they all were four sided? Can you link what you are talking about?

I feel dumb, is it just me? Don't think I've ever seen anything but 4 sided...

• haziedazehaziedaze member
    edited March 2014
    Usually with baby in your room you or someone in the family does. A nurse or doc may do it for you if they are examining the baby. There's actually NOT that many diapers in the first few days. They only need to have 1 pee and 1 poop for how many days old they are (i.e. 1 poop/pee first day, 2 poops/ pees 2nd day, etc) until they get to 8-12 per day.

If baby is in the NICU then a nurse will plan to do it with baby's vitals every 3 hours, however, this can be a great way to get involved and you can ask to do it. Poor DH's first diaper change ever was on a 3.5 lbs baby with a nasal cannula, monitors and umbilical line, with his giant forearms wedged into the arm holes in the isolette. Yeah, he's a pro now :-).

ETA: There's really no rule about parents not being allowed to change diapers in the NICU usually. If baby is really unstable a nurse may prefer to do it to not get the bedding dirty and not stress the baby too much. I did all of my DS during the day when I was there from about 2 days after birth until we went home.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • This seems like a really dumb thing to even think about so I guess I am on the right thread to ask... I am 34w5days and I feel like my belly has gotten noticeably smaller the last few days. To me it looks and feels the size it was weeks (or more) ago. I will ask my OB at my appointment on Monday but have you guys ever experienced this?The only thing I can think of is this being a sign of low fluid or dehydration? I think I am just driving my self crazy ;)
    I find when LO is spine to spine with me I am less round and more flabby if that makes sense. I can sorta tell because I am not as hard in the uterus and I can not feel her bum and her legs as much if at all.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• What is the likelyhood/frequency/scope of baby boy spraying (with pee) the wall adjacent to changing table during a diaper change? Really stupid question, I know. I ask because I wallpapered nursery with paper paper (non wipe-able) at 200 bucks a roll. Am I covered if I use a washcloth as peepee teepee?
  • I'm a little scared to ask this one and I'll forewarn it's probably TMI... I have small white/yellow clots? Globs? of dried milk in the openings of my nipples. Is this normal? And should I clean them out (and if so, HOW?) or will they go away when milk is actually flowing through? Obviously I shower and wash my boobies with soap... But that doesn't remove them.

The answers to this should be fun :D
  • What is the likelyhood/frequency/scope of baby boy spraying (with pee) the wall adjacent to changing table during a diaper change? Really stupid question, I know. I ask because I wallpapered nursery with paper paper (non wipe-able) at 200 bucks a roll. Am I covered if I use a washcloth as peepee teepee?

I don't know the answer first hand, but my Boy Mom friends say they rarely get urine in the face if they make sure and cover the penis during diaper changes (with a wipe, burp cloth, wash rag, whatever).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014

Ours was sprayed once when Dad was unprepared. Our couch was sprayed quite a few times. If you are prepared I don't think it would be a problem, but make sure everyone is prepared!

I'm guessing I'm extremely lucky but my son is 2 and I've never had him spray. I did nothing to cover him, he just never did it. My DH had it happen twice but never enough to get on a wall or anything.
  • @knotty-girl I can't speak for my own child, but I was very hands on in helping raise my little brother (I was the "third parent") and he never once sprayed while I was changing him, nor anyone else. I think if you have something at hand to cover, you'll be over prepared!

@Jelly and Poru: Thank you! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't failing at cleaning myself. I try so hard to get the gunk out of there (I pick too :\"> ) and it just doesn't want to leave!
  • Really stupid question but what's the series of events when you're in labor? Time contractions...then do you call your dr to tell them while heading over to the hospital?
  • mrsB68 said:

Really stupid question but what's the series of events when you're in labor? Time contractions...then do you call your dr to tell them while heading over to the hospital?

Typically it's a courtesy to let them know you're in labor (before the 5-1-1 rule, which is when you should go in) so they have a heads up. This is more for small practices with midwives or only a few docs. If you plan to deliver at a hospital with just whoever is there you can just call to tell them when you're on the way.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

DS never sprayed me or my husband. He just didn't pee during diaper changes. He did projectile-poop on DH once when DH was doing a diaper change . . .

• What's this I just read about baby girls potentially having a "period" the first month of life due to mom's hormones?

In things I never, ever, knew...
  • maelic said:
    What's this I just read about baby girls potentially having a "period" the first month of life due to mom's hormones? In things I never, ever, knew...
    Crazy isn't it?!? A good friend warned me about this one. She freaked out when it happened with her LO. 

imageimage
  • maelic said:

What's this I just read about baby girls potentially having a "period" the first month of life due to mom's hormones?

So all these lovely hormones we have in us right now are being shared with baby. After birth baby is no longer receiving the overload of "female hormones" this withdrawal can cause a little "mini period" in baby girl. It's the same reaction women have while taking hormonal BC. DD had like a few blood tinged diapers around day 7. It's nothing excessive, just a little but noticeable, and no cause for alarm. Sometimes the jelly crystals in disposable diapers can react with urine and cause a red looking disposable diaper. If you open the diaper you can definitely tell it's not blood. I Can't tell you how many parents rush their kids to the ER for both of these two things.
  • maelic said:

What's this I just read about baby girls potentially having a "period" the first month of life due to mom's hormones?

They can also lactate just a little bit. People call it witches milk from back in the day.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • CalinAZ said:
    Question that it feels like I should know the answer to - do I need to be buying bibs for my baby? I assume I'll need them when he starts to eat solids, but do you need them right away?

Not sure if this is something I should throw on my registry. 
    You'll need them when they are teething, drooling like crazy!
  • JNova78 said:
    Yes. You and/or your DH are in charge of all things baby. There is a lot of diaper changes for newborns in general, not just the first day or two.
  • mrsB68 said:
    Really stupid question but what's the series of events when you're in labor? Time contractions...then do you call your dr to tell them while heading over to the hospital?
    Every hospital and OB is different. Where I'm delivering, they want first time moms to have consistent contractions at 5 minutes apart for at least 1 hour before coming in, but 2+ moms to come in when they are 10 minutes apart for an hour. I have always called my OB on the way in and then the house OB will check you out and call my OB.
  • MamamonzoMamamonzo member
    edited March 2014
    If I were to buy a couple of the nursing tanks from target do I base it off of boob size or shirt size? I would usually get a small in tops, but the elastic seems so tight around the chest. Should I expect them to just be a bit loose around my stomach?

Edit: spelling is hard

BabyFetus Ticker

• If I were to buy a couple of the nursing tanks from target do I base it off of boob size or shirt size? I would usually get a small in tops, but the elastic seems so right around the chest. Should I expect them to just be a bit loose around my stomach?

Mine are smalls, my band size is 36 now & was PP as well. The stomach part is looser than all my other camis.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Mamamonzo said:

If I were to buy a couple of the nursing tanks from target do I base it off of boob size or shirt size? I would usually get a small in tops, but the elastic seems so tight around the chest. Should I expect them to just be a bit loose around my stomach?

Edit: spelling is hard

I buy a size up from what I normally wear.

• P&B715 said:

By now I should be good on washing all my 0-3 months right? And hold off ripping the tags off all NB clothing and just wait? Maybe only wash all NB handme downs and one or two outfits?

I just washed it all. Even if I don't use it ill end up passing it on to my cousin who is also having a girl a few months after me. Granted I don't have a lot if NB stuff to start with
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My DH brought up a good point that made me wonder earlier: does what I eat flavor my breast milk?  I know that what I eat can affect LO and cause cramps or gas and things like that, but I never really thought about milk flavor, lol.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • I never considered the devastating potential of a baby boy during diaper changes. I'm gonna have to buy us matching hazard suits!
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never considered the devastating potential of a baby boy during diaper changes. I'm gonna have to buy us matching hazard suits!

June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @SoulTermination Yes! Here's an awesome article shared by someone in my local LLL group :) LO's can taste what we eat now, and while breastfeeding!

https://www.parentingscience.com/flavors-in-breast-milk.html
  • @embear22 I have the same question about washing the car seat cover. I plan to wash the covers from our bouncy seat and the swing but i bought both of those used, the car seat is new.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• Leeroy80 said:

Question for STMs or anyone really:   How soon is too soon to attend a shower post-baby?   DH's family wants to host a shower April 26 or May 3.   My due date is April 22.  I told them I'd like my family to attend as well.  My mom comes into town April 29.  My dad doesn't arrive until mid-May. April 26 is clearly not an option; who knows if baby will come on time?  Is it rude to decline for May 3 and ask for a later date in May? I appreciate them offering to host but would like enough time to recover and for my parents to be in attendance as well. 

Totally depends. Every recovery is different, every woman is different.
    I attended a shower for one of my best friends exactly 2 weeks after my c-section.
    I think it's reasonable to ask for a later shower so your parents can come.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"