November 2012 Moms

Always wanting to be carried

Anyone else have LOs that always want to be carried despite being able to walk?  Is this just a phase?   Any suggestions on how to encourage more independence? 

Re: Always wanting to be carried

• Yes. I try not to pick her up, but she just learned how to say please and it's so hard to deny her when she looks up at me with those big brown eyes, extends her arms and says "pweeease"...but I do try. 

• It depends on the situation for us.  There are times when I know DD wants me to pick her up because she missed me when I was at work.  In those cases, I will pick her up.  Otherwise, I try not to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kbl13kbl13 member
    I'm having the opposite problem right now.. little mr. independent has recently started telling me "DOW" (down) and tries to wiggle out of my arms
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yep, some days she asks me constantly to pick her up. I usually do but if I'm busy I will tell her so and ask her to wait until I'm done. Sometimes this results in tears, but usually works. Also my LO loves to "help" so to encourage her independence I might ask her to pick something up for me or bring something to daddy and she usually does.
  • Never had the problem... she seems to have been born with an independent streak...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• My DD has been more needy lately & wants to be picked up more often ever since we brought home baby #2 from the hospital. When she started walking, she went through a phase where she didn't like to be picked up anymore. With baby #2, she's going through this needy phase. I'm sure this will pass. She's a good big sister to her brother. Cracks me up when she tries to help me burp him by patting his back.
  • She has been doing this a lot lately, and when she asks I do pick her up - mainly because the rest of the time she is desperate to walk and explore. there is no in between with her.

Her pick-me-up periods coincide with disruptions in my work schedule and her physical condition (i.e. she is really tired, she is sick or teething). It is worse in the morning, when I am on my way out the door to work. This past week, I've taken to setting her up with Raffi songs on youtube, and saying goodbye while she is happily swaying to music etc.. It's the only way I can get out of the house.

All of that said, I can't really deny her when she wants to be picked up. I'm not around as much as DH, so I try to give her whatever attention she wants at needs when she asks for it. When she was tantruming a lot I read an article that described the sense of betrayal and frustration that a child her ages feels when she is tantruming as similar to the sorts of feelings an adult who has discovered their partner cheating might feel. It was really heartbreaking to think of her feeling that way, so if she asks to be picked up or to walk me around the apartment or force me to walk up and down the stairs a dozen times, I do it - because she needs me to, it doesn't do any harm and I could use the exercise.

...but this is all deeply tied to my guilt about returning to work so early, and having work hours that are very stressful for her.
  • Re: encouraging independence. Like, I said, there isn't much in between with her - but I ask her to do things to help me around the house. We have a bedtime routine that now includes picking up her legos. Every morning she grabs the box and dumps them out in exactly the same spot. After her bath at night, we pick them up. It started with me handing her a piece and asking her to put in the box, while I was cleaning up. Now she automatically goes over there to pick them up on her own.

While she wants to be held a lot right now, she does do lots of other things independently, in part because we ask her to get her shoes, pick out clothes, brush her own teeth, hold open cups, wash her hands and face, find books she wants to read. The other day I was skyping with my parents and she left us. I found her in the bedroom, sitting on my bed (which is temporarily on the floor) and flipping through a book. I recently taught her to eat edamame out of the shell and throw the pods in the garbage on her own - and she loves to do it. We have a few pieces of light furniture we let her move around (ottomans, mainly) and arrange. When she is feeling well and my schedule is normal, she is unstoppable and content to spend time alone. This phase of needing to be picked up all the time will pass. Provided you give your LO lots of other things to do, they'll be cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"