Parenting after 35
Options

starting solids

Good Morning!  Since the few of us who are on here seem to have babies around the same age I was curious when you were planning on starting solids?  In a few short weeks we will have 4 month olds and I know depending on who you read and where you read it the magic number seems to be 4-6 months old for starting solid foods.  When I had my daughter I started her on solids at 4 months but only because she had HORRIBLE reflux and was already used to cereal in her bottles to thicken to help reduce the constant flow of puke.  With my little guy he isn't nearly as bad and hasn't had anything but BM so I am not sure if I want to wait till 6 months or not?  I'll have a chat with my pediatrician at his 4 month visit at the end of the month but I am sure we will get the go ahead, just not sure if I want to hold him off till 6 months?  Just curious what you ladies were thinking with your little ones? 

Hope you all had a great weekend! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: starting solids

• Options
    I don't plan on starting solids until 6 months. It's strongly recommend to wait so that's what I will do. I know not everyone follows that guideline but in my case I really want to do all I can to make sure her body is ready for the change.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    I haven't decided, but will talk to her pediatrician at her next appointment later this month.  I haven't read anything about it, so I need to get my information together before we go in for her 4 month check up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Between 4-6 months is recommended.  My pedi asked at DS2's 4 month check-up last week of we started solids yet.  I said not yet and she said anytime I wanted to start we were good to go.  She was fine with waiting until 6 months.  I am going to do a combination of purees and BLW since daycare will do purees but not more solid foods so young.

I tried peas over the weekend and he still has a bit of the tongue thrust reflex so I will try again either this weekend or next weekend.  Other than that he did fine with the couple bites he took.  he wasn't really interested at the time because he was tired and my 2.5 year old was running around distracting DS2.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Check with you pedi.  Really if you look at all literature, unless there is a medical reason, it is not recommended to start solids until 6 months.  And then it is just for fun.  They only really need breast milk or formula until one.  This is coming for me, whose DD loves her food and eats three meals a day starting at 6 months.

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I am probably going to wait till 6 months but ill play it by ear. I'm in no rush. I just started dd around 4 months due to reflux and already being used to getting cereal to thicken her bottles. I only did cereal at first. Once we moved past cereal I made almost all of her baby food so that was always fun trying new things.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"