Nurseries and Baby Gear

FTM + Car Seat Question

My husband is shopping for cars, and he is totally set on a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.  He has drooled over this car for years.  (Poor thing, he's a total car nut and he drives an old Corolla!)  He wants something sporty, and my only requirement was four door so LO could fit in the back seat.  I have been in the back seat of an Evo, they're tiny!  I'm worried the car seat won't fit.  I guess I have a two-part question. 

First, is it safe to install the rear-facing infant car seat in the middle of the back seat?  I've only ever seen people install them on either side.  (And in my car she will be on the driver side so I can see her in the rearview + backseat mirror). 

Second, if it doesn't fit, should he get a totally different car?  I am worried baby will end up on the passenger side in the back, and I will be sitting at a funny angle with my knees in the dash so he can get this car that he has dreamed about for years.  The last thing in the world I want is to tell him no, but I'm concerned that it won't be comfortable/safe.

Honestly we may pull a little from savings, go buy our travel system, and take it with us to the dealership tomorrow.  Could be that it's a non-issue.  Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or maybe a bit of advice?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: FTM + Car Seat Question

• Middle is definitely safe but depends on the car if you can get a good install.  I'm not familiar with that vehicle but I suggest you check out the facebook group Carseats for the Littles (link below, request an add)   The experts and techs should be able to help you figure out what car seats will work best with that vehicle, if at all.

My other suggestion is to take the carseat to the dealership and try it out in the vehicle. 

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Middle is definitely safe but depends on the car if you can get a good install.  I'm not familiar with that vehicle but I suggest you check out the facebook group Carseats for the Littles (link below, request an add)   The experts and techs should be able to help you figure out what car seats will work best with that vehicle, if at all.

My other suggestion is to take the carseat to the dealership and try it out in the vehicle. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Actually, the middle is typically considered safest b/c of side impact. If there are LATCH points in the middle- that's definitely where it should go. Even if no LATCH, it may still be safest with a seatbelt install.

How often will baby be in his car? If you will mostly drive yours then you can make do with occasional inconvenience of cramming into his. I get the frustration- it took forever for DH to settle on a car that he liked that was also family friendly. He wanted something sleek/sporty and it just wasn't happening! Finally, he saw the Hyundai Sonata and fell in love. That car has plenty of backseat space (we have gotten all 3 kids back there- 2 in car seats!). If he hasn't checked it out, add it to your list.

And yes, I do think you should take a car seat to test out. It actually helped DH rule out a few when he saw how tight it was.

• The most compact infant seat front to back is the Chicco Keyfit. As for a convertible seat (which you'll need once baby outgrows the infant seat) the Chicco NextFit is one of the most compact front to back and also allows for extended rear facing. I second the suggestion to check out the Facebook group Car Seats For The Littles.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • I would never buy a car where the car seat didn't fit in it. That just seems irresponsible. What if your car is in the shop or something happens and you aren't home and he needs to take the baby somewhere. It has to be safely installed and in most cases not bracing against the seat in front of it. The middle is safe, but how long will you have this car and will you be having more children? With kids come sacrifices and he may not be able to get his dream car if the seats won't fit. Definitely take a car seat with you and I might even want to try and install a convertible seat in it as well (although I think infant seats take up more room?). My son is only 7m and we will move to a convertible soon. 

I agree with joining the Car Seats for the Littles page. 

We have a CRV right now and it is tight in the front seat with my infant seat on the passenger side. It is kind of annoying. I wouldn't have bought the car if that was the case ahead of time, but we have had the car forever. I will get something roomier when we decide to get a new car. 
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• do you have a friend with an infant seat you could borrow & check for fit? Even if the seat was older &expired, would give you & hubby a sense of size. Might want to borrow the base as well.

Agree with the others about asking on the CSFTL Facebook group. They are a great resource (need to join first). The more secure your install, the safer the location. Same gies for LATCH vs. seat belt install. If installed correctly, is safer than if not. As an example, would have prefered my LO to get her seat in middle rear seat, however seat belt install we were unble to get secure (so much wiggle & even tilt) so installed behind passenger seat with LATCH and is secure. Would like to eventually try again in middle seat, however my vechicle does not have LATCHes for that position, so would need to do seat belt install there.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The Chicco Neuvo comes with the Keyfit 30 it looks like, so same seat. 
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards