Toddlers: 24 Months+

amblyopia

We took DD to the optometrist yesterday for a standard checkup.  She turned 3 last month and started preschool and since it's part of our public school she needed an eye exam.  DH and I have never noticed any problems with her eyes or vision so we figured this would be just a routine exam.

So anyway, the optometrist diagnosed her with amblyopia (or lazy eye) and said her left eye was significantly weaker than her right and she recommended glasses right away to be worn full time.  Needless to say DH and I are both pretty dumbfounded.  We have already asked for a referral to speak with a pediatric ophthalmologist to get a second opinion.  

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Were you able to get a child that young used to wearing glasses?  And did you see any improvement?  Sorry if this is rambling I am just in a state of utter befuddlement.  Thanks much.

Re: amblyopia

• I don't have experience having a child with lazy eye, but I had it myself (my eye noticeably rolled inward). I started wearing glasses when I was 3 and as far as I know I didn't have a problem wearing them. I remember when I was older I would sometimes have to wear a patch over my dominant eye to try to strengthen the lazy eye. The vision in my lazy eye is still worse than my non-lazy eye, but is corrected with contacts/glasses. To other people my eyes look normal and you'd never know I had it unless I told you. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

• Thanks for your help.  I know in the long run this is not that bad and there are lots of worse things she could be dealing with.  We are just very surprised by it since we'd never noticed an issue with her eye or vision.  We have an appt with a pediatric ophthalmologist so keeping our fingers crossed for her.
  • Loading the player...
  • will keep my fingers crossed too
  • My son was diagnosed with lazy eye and strabismus at around 18months. He is now 2.5 and wears his glasses with no problem everyday. He puts them on when he wakes up and takes them off to sleep. It may be tough in the beginning but they catch in pretty quick that they can see better/easier with them on
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had the appt with the pediatric ophthalmologist today and they confirmed amblyopia and that she is farsighted.  It seems crazy that she could have these problems without DH and I noticing but I guess that's normal for a 3 yo.  Anyway, we are going to take her to pick out some glasses soon and they recommended we start patching not long after that to strengthen her weaker eye. 

Thank you all for your responses.   
  • My 2-year-old has lazy eye in BOTH eyes.  We patch either the left or the right eye in the morning for three hours.  The next day, we patch the other eye.  We will be doing this for at least a year, maybe longer, according to the pediatric ophthalmologist.  It's definitely working as we can see that his eyes are better aligned now.  I wish someone had done this for me at these very early stages, like what you are doing for your little one.  My lazy eye was not caught until 3rd grade and by that point it was harder to correct.  To this day, one eye is so weak that I mainly use one eye. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Did any of you use the miraflex glasses?  I like that they're indestructible but I'm not sure how my DD would take the wrap going all of the way around her head.  She has a pair of sunglasses that fit over her ears that she wears pretty well but obviously not all day.  Plus, I'm not sure how they stand up to running and playing outside and whatnot.  

Thanks! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"