Oregon Babies

OHSU recs?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board, and was wondering if anyone had experience with the doctors below. I'm pregnant with my first; I'm fairly clueless, but I'd like a doctor who will use the fewest interventions necessary. For insurance reasons, I'm only considering OHSU doctors.

Jennifer Lochner (Family Medicine)

Karen Adams (Ob/Gyn at Women's Health)

Paula Bednarek (Ob/Gyn at Women's Health)

Any advice regarding pre-natal care and delivery at OHSU would be appreciated as well. 

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: OHSU recs?

• Have you looked into midwives that partner with OHSU? ?Might be a good option for you since you're looking for little intervention. ?

Here's a link to OHSU School of Nursing Midwifery:

https://www.ohsuwomenshealth.com/services/doctors/midwife.html?

• My dr is Dr Meg Hayes at Family Medicine. I've met with many other dr's in this group just not with Jennifer Lochner. In my opnion they are all very good. However, I've been a little bit frustrated with them lately as they are routinely understaffed and it can be hard to get an appt in or even to get a nurse to return a phone call. During my pregnancy I really enjoyed meeting with Dr Hayes though. She was also there to deliver my baby, though as with most dr's she was only there for the last hour or so. Before and after I was monitored by whomever was on duty.

I went for the epidural which then led to pitocin, internal monitors and a catheter, so I'm not one to talk about interventions. But I agree with the pp, maybe you should check out the midwife group. We took the childbirth education class at OHSU and got a good impression from that. 

The delivery went really well. The only glitch we had was that there were no private recovery rooms available when we were done, so we had to spend the night in one that is shared by two. Luckily the 2nd bed was empty, but it could have been filled at any point during the night. My DH had to sleep in an uncomfortable chair and if someone had occupied the other half of the room he would have had to leave. That didn't happen and we were transferred to a private room the next day. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

• Loading the player...
  • Karen Adams was our OB/GYN and ended up being on-duty when we arrived at the hospital to deliver.  She was wonderful, and made my wife and I feel very comfortable.

• Thanks, everyone!

We've at least started with Family Medicine, mainly because Dr Lochner is my primary physician anyway so it was "default." Like pp, I've been frustrated with the staffing - the scheduling on our first ob apt didn't get in the calendar correctly, so it was kind of a waste of everyone's time, and it nearly happened again with our 2nd visit (which is in two weeks). My SIL is also getting her OB care there (I think from Dr Hays) and has similar issues with scheduling. She says MyChart has been really helpful, because she can email her doc directly, so I'm going to sign up at my next visit. But we both are really happy with the docs! I've seen a number of them for various things (pre-pregnancy) and have liked them all.

Thanks for the rec on the midwife clinic - I think we might take the OHSU tour soon. I'm not disatisfied with Family Medicine, but I feel like I should at least know all my options.

Anyway, I just wanted to follow-up in case anyone reading is looking!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I saw Dr. Karen Adams at the beginning of my last pregnancy. She was mean and I don't reccomend her at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"