Nurseries and Baby Gear

Diaper bag to use as work bag later

I'm looking for a new diaper bag. I have a DS that is 2.5yo and DD is 3w old. I am looking for something that I will be able to use as a work bag (I'm a teacher… in case it wasn't obvious) when I go back to work in a year. 

I love the size of the JJB Be Prepared, but I'm not sure I want to get that because of the patterns. I won't necessarily want something so flashy for work. 

I'm not sure if what I am looking for necessarily exists, but I figure if it does, someone here will know. 

Any recs??
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Diaper bag to use as work bag later

• I love my OiOi bags. I have a Carry All (my favorite of all my diaper bags for 2 kids in diapers) and a hobo bag that looks like a purse. I got the plaid carry all as a shower gift for DS1 & it still looks new over 2 years later. They are great quality & wipe clean easily. I went back to it when the Timi & Leslie bag I purchased this spring was a fail for the 2 boys (black hole of baby stuff falling to the bottom). You may want to check amazon.com & Buy Buy Baby in store for deals on one. Here is the website:

https://www.oioibabybags.com/bags/#page-1
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Hmm... Have you checked out the timi and Leslie bags?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you considered just using a bag you would like for work, even if it isn't a diaper bag? I have friends who just use regular totes and/or backpacks. I haven't gone that route, but I've considered it pretty seriously, esp with #2 on the way.
  • We use a Patagonia lap top bag - works great for us and my husband is fine with it. There was no way he was going to carry a PPB bag and to us there is no sense in each of us having a bag:)
  • Look into storksak bags. They're great!
  • whoberrywhoberry member
    edited January 2014
    FTM here so I haven't used one yet, but I was looking for something similar and just ordered the Marc Jacobs Preppy Nylon Eliz-a-Baby bag.  It comes in different colors and patterns.  https://www.marcjacobs.com/product/detail/m3pe147/preppy-nylon-eliz-a-baby  

It is expensive but I am willing to spend $ on a decent bag since I will use it every day for years.  I also spent WAY too much time researching the perfect bag and checked a bunch of brands out in person at Buy Buy Baby and was not pleased.  This one met most of my criteria; light weight fabric, large, long shoulder strap, external pockets, internal pocket for cell phone, top zip closure and doesn't look too diaper bagish. But I wish it had a few more internal pockets. 
    was going to start using it now for work before baby comes, but I am considering exchanging it for a different color (I ordered blaze red and it's very bright and more orange then I expected).

ETA:I just tested it out and there was plenty of room for my laptop to fit with the zipper closed. (and fixed typo)

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • whoberry said:
    FTM here so I haven't used one yet, but I was looking for something similar and just ordered the Marc Jacobs Preppy Nylon Eliz-a-Baby bag.  It comes in different colors and patterns.  https://www.marcjacobs.com/product/detail/m3pe147/preppy-nylon-eliz-a-baby  

It is expensive but I am willing to spend $ on a decent bag since I will use it every day for years.  I also spent WAY too much time researching the perfect bag and checked a bunch of brands out in person at Buy Buy Baby and was not pleased.  This one met most of my criteria; light weight fabric, large, long shoulder strap, external pockets, internal pocket for cell phone, top zip closure and doesn't look too diaper bagish. But I wish it had a few more internal pockets. 
    was going to start using it now for work before baby comes, but I am considering exchanging it for a different color (I ordered blaze red and it's very bright and more orange then I expected).

ETA:I just tested it out and there was plenty of room for my laptop to fit with the zipper closed. (and fixed typo)

I love this bag!  This was my #1 choice but some of my girlfriends said that they don't love this version because the handles don't fold down if you want to use the shoulder strap, and the handles can cut into your armpits as a result.  I was really disappointed because this is the bag I wanted to get.  I ordered the quilted-looking version of this bag instead for this reason only.  If you don't think the handles are going to bug you, I'd love to hear your experience!  I have a very short torso, so I was worried.

• Another vote for storksak .. i have the kate and tania bee and love love them both 
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • whoberry said:

I love this bag!  This was my #1 choice but some of my girlfriends said that they don't love this version because the handles don't fold down if you want to use the shoulder strap, and the handles can cut into your armpits as a result.  I was really disappointed because this is the bag I wanted to get.  I ordered the quilted-looking version of this bag instead for this reason only.  If you don't think the handles are going to bug you, I'd love to hear your experience!  I have a very short torso, so I was worried.
    @JanuaryBride I tested it out when it arrived and I liked it a lot.  The shorter handles sticking up do look kind of goofy, but I have a similar style leather purse where the short handles fold down and they are always getting caught on stuff.  Almost everyday when I walk out of my house with the long strap on my shoulder the short handles catch on my door knob.  So I think I might  like the handles on this bag sticking up so they are out of the way.  I sent the bag back because I didn't like the color.  I'm debating pulling the trigger on the blue one now, or waiting to see if they come out with more colors this spring.  I've got a few months before I really need it!
    Oh and I did pack it full of stuff and it easily fit my work laptop so it's got plenty of room!

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

• Skip Hop Studio diaper bag.  It's cute and doesn't look like a diaper bag.

Link.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Vera Bradley has some (if that is your style). I have a tote from Stella & Dot that I am going to use for now since there isn't a diaper bag that has wowed me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I sell Thirty-One and we have a hostess exclusive: suite success tote. It is amazing! I plan on using it as my diaper bag.
  • My wife uses a Coach bag and I have a messenger type bag that can easily double as a laptop bag. Neither really look like diaper bags unless you notice the bottles poking out the end pockets.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Take a look at the Skip Hop Chesea Bag! I have it and it's very chic.
  • I love my Ju Ju Be bag. Not sure what the one I have is called but it is the biggest one out of the 3 models. They do have more plain colors on their site. You can fit a ton of stuff in the bag and I don't find it to be bulky, but it is larger than some. It's easy to clean and has a lot of storage options.
  • I use a Longchamp Le Pliage in black. It is very conservative and inexpensive so you don't feel bad about hauling it everywhere. It is just one big open bag so I have smaller zip pouches to organize everything. 
  • I have a kate spade Stevie bag and I LOVE it and would totally use it later down the line. Although it isn't really a structured bag. If you're looking for something with more structure I would look at a Coach baby bag. You can get them for low cost at an outlet- if you have one near you. 

I personally couldn't do a bag that has no inside pockets. 
  • I love my kate spade Stevie bag. I bought it at the outlet. Mine is all black, but I had another one that had a nice understated pattern. I get lots of compliments on it.

I also use a Skip Hop travel diaper changing station that I move from one bad to the next. I make sure it is always stocked and then throw in drinks, snacks, a toy and an extra outfit and can turn any bag in to a diaper bag!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"