2nd Trimester

Gender at 12 weeks?

Hi ladies, I was just wondering if anyone has had their 12 week scan, been told the gender of their baby and it has been right? I had mine 2 days ago and the u/s tech was positive it was a girl, he said people might say it's to early to tell and when I go back for the 20 week scan he will show me it's definently a girl and he gets 1 out of 100 wrong and he had a perfect view of seeing the gender.Just wondering what everyone's opinions are and if anyone else knew the gender at 12 weeks and it was right?

Re: Gender at 12 weeks?

• I wouldn't go out and buy everything based upon a 50/50 guess at 12 weeks. I would wait until you are further along, and maybe see the sex at your a/s. 

Goob 01/26/12
    Olliekazam 08/18/14

• I was skeptical about this as well, but my friend went for her 12 week u/s and was told she was having a boy, this was confirmed on her 20 week u/s as well. I would still not trust in it 100% until confirmed at 20 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • lilnessi said:
    I was skeptical about this as well, but my friend went for her 12 week u/s and was told she was having a boy, this was confirmed on her 20 week u/s as well. I would still not trust in it 100% until confirmed at 20 weeks
    The tech at your friend's 12 week u/s had a 50% chance of being right and s/he was.

• Does the tech actually keep accurate data on his guesses and the outcome?

My thoughts too... I've heard of techs making guesses based on nub theory around this time frame but I HIGHLY doubt his personal statistics are that good.

It's fun to guess, but I would advise against putting so much faith in the results at that stage.
  • I was told girl, but then we found out we are having a boy.
  • We found out what we were having but that was because we had blood work done at 12 weeks. If not it would have been a few more weeks before they can be certain.

12 weeks is a guess.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• FWIW, both of ours were right at 12-14 weeks. Both boys, so maybe it's more accurate if you actually see a penis? I agree, don't get your heart set either way yet, but I do think it's somewhat better than 50-50.
  • We were told two boys at our 12 weeks ultrasound and that was confirmed at our 21 week ultrasound.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My tech gave a guess at 12 weeks of it being a girl and my obgyn was confident it was a girl at 15 weeks. I have my anatomy scan at 20 weeks for confirmation but I'm pretty sure it's a girl.
  • At 12 weeks tech said girl, doctor said boy. Found out at 15 and confirmed at 21 weeks it's a boy.

• I was told the exact same thing at 12 weeks, that its a girl and he is never wrong. I'm now almost 23 weeks and its a boy
  • Some babies sex organs are developed earlier than others. I wouldnt go crazy and go buy everything for a certain sex at 12 weeks. I got told boy at 12,14,16,and 20 weeks. Maybe a lucky guess, maybe a great tech or mazybe my little boy just has a giant penis. Who knows? If you are really itchy to start baby shopping have an elective scan done to confirm. They start them as early as 15 weeks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My tech didn't even guess at the NT scan.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I found out my baby's gender at 12 weeks.  Everyone saw the little penis.   Please note that every pregnancy is different.  It's not that common to be able to tell the sex at 12 weeks, but it is possible. 
  • I was given guesses on sex at 12 weeks for this pregnancy and my precious one. One gues was right and one was wrong. Again, just proof that it's a 50/50 chance to be right

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• I wouldn't go and buy pink stuff yet, but I know people who have found the sex out that early and it has been right. We didn't find out until our a/s at 20 weeks with both of our boys. At this point their was no doubting either was a boy.

But at this point....it is a 50/50 guess. I just wouldn't bank on that.

• Yes, mine was done at a peri that was really into the nub theory. She was very certain DS2 was a boy at my twelve week NT scan, I think it depends on the tech.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Regardless

https://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

If you want it in pictures and more scientific
  • redaero said:
    Kimbus22 said:
    You can't tell gender from an ultrasound.  They can take a guess at the sex of the baby but it's pretty much a 50/50 shot.  At 12 weeks the genitals are identical for both sexes.
    This isn't quite correct. Both males and females have a genital tubercle at this stage (so not differentiated into penis or clitoris just yet), but the angles are discernably different.

I work with a perinatologist who informed me that it IS possible to determine fetal sex with a 12-week ultrasound, with enough accuracy that ultrasound for sex determination in the first trimester is actually illegal in many countries (although not in the US). 

BUT, your imaging equipment needs to be sophisticated enough, and your sonographer needs to be trained in the appropriate technique. A "potty shot" will not show the sex at 12 weeks. They need to assess the angle of the genital tubercle with a side view. Just like most things in medicine, it's not 100% accurate, and highly depends on the skill and experience of your sonographer.

In other words, exactly what @Kimbus22 said.
  • My peri doc was right both times. Told me ds was boy at 12 weeks two years ago and this baby girl at twelve weeks. (Same doc both times) :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"