Parenting

Is it a night terror?

Hi all, thanks for reading. Our 19 month old son is having what I believe to be night terrors. He had a few sporadically but now has had them the past 3 nights. They last about an HOUR! He is screaming bloody murder and then crying huge tears and saying "mama" and "dada" but if we pick him no out of the crib it seems to get worse and he just flails around. I thought it terrors were just screaming and not actual crying or talking, so I am confused about what this could be. Any advice, tips or tricks are welcome.
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Is it a night terror?

• Thanks for the responses so far. His eyes are OPEN the entire time, does that make a difference? I know he is overtired, as he has not napped well at daycare this week, but then these are making his more tired and its a viscious cycle.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • CTGirl30, that is a good idea. He already goes to bed at 7pm, but maybe we could try 630. Also, part of his nighttime routine is to watch a 10 minute TV show (usually SuperWhy or Curious George) while he winds down, do you think that is contributing? should we eliminate the TV? That is the only time per day he watches it at our house.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This sounds like what mine does too.  His started around 15 months or so, and it was absolutely terrifying.  It would seem like he was awake, because he was moving around and sitting or standing and his eyes would be open, but he really wasn't reacting to anything around him. 

The doctor said that there wasn't much to be done and to just make sure that he is safe and can't hurt himself and that trying to wake them is more disturbing to them than to just let them get through it.  It does seem like lack of sleep/rest is a contributing factor so I try to make sure he gets good naps and goes to bed on time, but I've also noticed that it seems to happen when he's at a big milestone marker (maybe not, but this is what it seems like).  The first round he was learning to walk, and now they're back again and he is in the midst of a huge vocabulary explosion.

The last few nights he is crying inconsolably and cannot be comforted.  He doesn't want to be picked up or held, he won't talk to us or focus on us at all, and doesn't respond to anything we say.  I just rub his back and talk quietly to him to try and soothe him some (though this is probably more helpful to me than to him).  It's such an awful feeling to not be able to console him. 

• I think my daughter is having these. It is so scary and breaks my heart. It seems like she is awake but she doesn't react to me at all.

For DD it helps if I curl her up in a ball and just hold her really close, hum, and rock/sway. I know when I am really upset I like the comfort of heavy ness on me so it doesn't surprise me that it works for her as well. It hadn't happened in a while but she went to bed super late after a crappy nap day so probably lack of sleep. She also has them when she is constipated/doesn't feel well.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • DS goes through phases where this seems to happen every night for a few days, then stops.  I know you are not supposed to wake them, but for him that seems like the only thing that helps.  (He is 17 months, btw).  He will wake up screaming bloody murder, inconsalable to hugging, rocking, etc.  But when I talk to him he eventually seems to snap out of it, just like that, and then lays down and goes right back to sleep.  It is super weird.  But its like I have to wake him up, tell him its the middle of the night and everything is okay, and then he's like, "Okay mom, goodnight" and hits the pillow like nothing every happened. 

(He doesnt actually talk like that.  In my head thats what he says, lol)

image image
  • DS2's night terrors were always more intense and frequent during a growth spurt. With age the frequency has lessened. His eyes will be open and he is pissed off. Talking to him, offering him comfort items (water, stuffed animal) or touching him only make it worse. I'll keep on eye on him as he has fallen out of the bed before, but there's not much to do besides ride it out while it's happening. You can try adjustments to the bedtime routine. I know it's frustrating. Hugs to everyone here.

DS1 doesn't have night terrors, but he's a sleepwalker. One time we had DS2 screaming bloody murder and DS1 was mindlessly wandering into the basement. It was like Night of the Living Dead here.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"