Military Families

Moving to Vandenberg

Hello all! I was just curious if anyone was familiar with hospitals or has recommendations for one near vandenberg. I have tricare prime if that makes any difference in your most appreciated advice.

Re: Moving to Vandenberg

• Hi! I don't usually post on this board, but I just spent the last 5 years there- we moved away in November.

You will be referred off base for everything, so you can choose where you want to deliver. The closest hospital is in Lompoc- about 10-15 minutes from base. I have heard mixed things, but I know people that have delivered there. It's pretty small so if you are high risk at all I would not go there.

Marion medical center is in Santa Maria, about 25 minutes away. They have a brand new NICU and this is where most people go. The whole time I was there my obgyn was dr moore there and I liked her a lot.

Finally, there are some really good hospitals in San Luis obispo and Santa Barbara. They are about an hour drive. I was going to Deliver at Sierra Vista before we moved because I have high risk twins. I went to central coast OBGYN and I liked it a lot.

We loved vandenberg and I miss it a lot. If you have any questions, please PM me! The central coast is a really neat area if you are willing to get out and explore. Good luck!

Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • I was at VAFB for two years (2005-2007) and always had to use the medical facility on base, but then again, I wasn't pregnant there. I just wanted to say congratulations on your assignment! I absolutely LOVED Vandenberg. It's a beautiful base in a pefect California location! I miss it there so much! I wish you and your family all the best. Go to Jockos (I think it was called) for steak! THE BEST EVER! Send me a basket of fresh strawberries... God I miss that place.
    image  image
    Baby GIRL born June 12
  • Loading the player...
  • Your PCM will be on base but everything else will be off. Yes Jockos is amazing and the strawberries and wine are incredible. Loved it!
  • I love cottage hospital in Santa Barbara!! I use to work there. It's an hr from the base but so worth going if possible. I lived in Lompoc but never went to their hospital.

BFP 1/4/2014 EDD September 14 2014

• Omygosh i cant believe replied! I had been waiting a few days and there was nothing... But anyway, i called Marian's and maybe i just called on a bad day but i really did not like the treatment over the phone. I wanted to go there because i thought i would have a better chance of doing some kind of water birth. Then i called the tiny one in lompoc and oh my gosh the ladies there were so nice! Plus the doctor that i would have to see appears to be very popular in some mommy forums and he seem to be the guy to go to if you are there. I would love to check out bigger ones further away since i have also heard good things about the one in san louis obispo but my husband is very against me having to go so far. But my pregnancy has been going well so hopefully it works out.

My biggest stress is housing. We have to move some time in may and i am terrified of not having a place to live. Are all of the base neighborhoods decent to live in? Is there one that is of preference? Also which pediatrician did you all use?

I am so excited to be going and to be near the ocean again! Thank you so much to all of you who responded! It means the world to me.
  • We lived on base the whole time we were there and it worked really well for us. All of the housing is relatively new and a lot of people live on base. I don't know that any specific neighborhoods are better than others, but I don't think you really get a choice. But they are all about the same age and they are very similar to each other. If you don't live on base, be careful where you live. Both Santa Maria and Lompoc are totally fine, but you want to make sure you are in a good area.
    We loved Vandenberg and miss it very much, so I would be happy to answer any questions!
  • I grew up in Goleta (the next town about 30 minutes south of Lompoc), and went to college at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo a bit north of there. Both are fantastic areas. I have heard positive things about Vandenburg AFB, as PP mentioned if you choose to live out in town, be cautious of the neighborhood. Santa Maria definitely has some shady areas (Tanglewood is one of them, if there are speed bumps in a neighborhood, beware!), and I have heard Vandenburg Village is a nicer area than Lompoc.

As far as hospitals, I haven't heard a lot about the birth community in that specific area, I haven't lived in that area since I got married. Several friends have delivered at Cottage down in Santa Barbara and had great experiences, but that is quite a trek from Lompoc! I'm not sure if there are any birth center options in the area, it seems likely there would be but I really don't know.

Good luck and enjoy the beautiful weather while you're there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"